Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will we ever get dedicated servers?

Mayonnaisey

I'm tired of host migrations and incredibly bad lag that happens when host doesn't have amazing internet. Everyone else is sick of these issues too. I've been a member of this game for 5 years and have been hoping that we would finally get dedicated servers sometime soon but it has yet to happen or to be announced at all. I'm sure others have been a member for much longer than I have and have hoped the same only to be met with disappointment that as big as this game is and as big as the community is, there are no dedicated servers for warframe. 

19 minutes ago, Mayonnaisey said:

as big as this game is and as big as the community is, there are no dedicated servers for warframe

That's actually the biggest reason DE hasn't made dedicated servers yet, there are too many people so it will be very expensive to buy the servers to handle them.

The other big reason is that their builds are unstable and frequent, especially on PC, and sometimes these updates bring massive changes, like Railjack for instance, which adds more places to host and join which means more server power will be required, especially on launch day for these big updates.

Personally, i would prefer to just have more options in therms of missions i join and how people leave missions; i.e. i selecting how high the ping can be if you are to join or change who the host is BEFORE the old host can leave and be given a reason as to why the host is leaving.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

At this point the cost of dedicated servers and of re-coding the game to not use peer-to-peer would be about a solid nope.

I'm not too sure about that. BHVR is a much smaller company making a lot less money and they're doing it with Dead By Daylight.

It may be hard, but it's definitely possible for DE.

31 minutes ago, (PS4)thefallenloser said:

BHVR is a much smaller company making a lot less money

Isn't Dead By Daylight a much... much smaller game, though?

I mean, not by number of concurrent players, because that's only around a 50% difference usually, but by game modes, characters, amount of data consistently to be transferred... I think Warframe is a heckuvalot more intense to re-code now than it would have been about three years ago.

• Like 3

On 2019-12-13 at 2:46 PM, Birdframe_Prime said:

Isn't Dead By Daylight a much... much smaller game, though?

I mean, not by number of concurrent players, because that's only around a 50% difference usually, but by game modes, characters, amount of data consistently to be transferred... I think Warframe is a heckuvalot more intense to re-code now than it would have been about three years ago.

That's true, actually.

I wonder how Relais, Cetus and Fortuna work ...

They have the possibility (code) yet they don't expand on it (just like they do with the content). I can't do PoE or Vallis in PUGs because it's a dia show albeit having a 200MB/s connection. I'd bet my dead grandma that RJ will be really good, forced CO-OP experiance.

On 2019-12-14 at 2:11 AM, (PS4)thefallenloser said:

I'm not too sure about that. BHVR is a much smaller company making a lot less money and they're doing it with Dead By Daylight.

It may be hard, but it's definitely possible for DE.

Take a look at the store and you can ask yourself if DE make every single addition costs you money.

Perhaps we can get that dedicated server when new content from the new war onwards are paid

9 minutes ago, (PS4)de_sch0sch said:

Relays and city hubs are actual dedicated servers, but due to limitations they don’t refresh to clients as fast as a peer to peer connection, that’s why you often see blue glowing Excal models pop in instead of player customisations and why people jumping look like they’re jogging through the air.

They have their own problems though. If you join as a group, the server only forms a direct connection with the ‘host’ of the group and the other players in that group are sent data peer to peer from the host, meaning if you drop from the group you are often sent back to the Liset, and almost always are when the host disconnects. This is because the server has not got a direct connection to you, but the host, and unless you’re lucky with a reconnect then the server drops you out.

Conclave and PvP is also dedicated servers, but that’s... not even a thing for the vast majority of players.

15 minutes ago, (PS4)de_sch0sch said:

Simple They don't transmit nearly the amount of information, nor the frequency, needed in missions.
For example ever see people just "floating" through the air in relays/cetus/fortuna while doing a walk animation?  Or just teleporting around randomly?  On their end they are bullet jumping and rolling and stuff.  The game doesn't sync that information though because its easier on the bandwidth to just skip it.
Also you might notice that there can be quite a bit of lag between positions you see other players in and where they actually are.  I mean I've ran across friends in the relay and saw their names and they were in a completely different part of the relay.  One of the larger discrepancies was I thought I was next to someone in the main area but on their side they were up in Simaris' room.
And then you might also notice the complete lack of sentinels and pets.  Again a move to save on bandwidth.

So they work by a few factors that massively reduce the bandwidth used because they don't need to care about specific positioning of players, full movement sync, or anything else.  They can "cheat" by sending far less information.
Meanwhile missions require tons more information to constantly be sent back and forth in order to keep everything synced correctly.
I mean could you imagine the problems caused by that sort of lag of player positioning and animation if you think an ally is near you so you buff them...only for it to not actually work because they were 100+ meters ahead of you and their model just hadn't caught up to their actual position yet?

Just now, Birdframe_Prime said:

Conclave and PvP is also dedicated servers, but that’s... not even a thing for the vast majority of players.

And I believe that those are mostly ran by other players..meaning absolutely no cost for DE.