Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

IPS stat mods should behave like element stat mods

(XBOX)KayAitch

IPS stat mods are pretty useless, they're almost never useful, with the only use case being changing proc chance order.

Element stat mods are real damage increases.

The reason is that element stat mods go off the base damage, but IPS stat mods go off the base damage.

So imagine a fairly balanced weapon with 30 impact, 30 puncture, 30 slash and 10 toxin (for 100 base damage).

If I add an IPS mod I get 120% of that stat, so I could add 36 impact, puncture or slash, for 136 damage overall.

If I add an element mod I get 90% of the base, so I get 90 of whatever element for 190 damage overall.

This basically means IPS mods almost always lose out.

A proposed fix: IPS stat mods should add 60% of the base damage, even if that stat is not present.

I agree IPS mods are useless in most of time, but I don't fully agree with your solution. IPS on weapon define the base of the weapon and the current modding system encourage modding around it, especially with the x4 proc chance they get compared to elemental damages. Reducing the value to make them scale like elemental mods would make them worth using, but would also allow modding for whatever IPS you want which reduce each weapon unicity, without consindering how strong on elemental only weapon and the use of slash mods.

Instead of reducing the value and make them work like elemental mods, I think they instead should increase the value of IPS and keep as they are. It mean they would instead be usable on average weapon as both decent damages and proc weight changes, but also super strong on weapon focusing on one IPS without being OP with slash since bleed proc damage isn't affected by slash mods.

4 hours ago, lukinu_u said:

I agree IPS mods are useless in most of time, but I don't fully agree with your solution. IPS on weapon define the base of the weapon and the current modding system encourage modding around it, especially with the x4 proc chance they get compared to elemental damages. Reducing the value to make them scale like elemental mods would make them worth using, but would also allow modding for whatever IPS you want which reduce each weapon unicity, without consindering how strong on elemental only weapon and the use of slash mods.

Instead of reducing the value and make them work like elemental mods, I think they instead should increase the value of IPS and keep as they are. It mean they would instead be usable on average weapon as both decent damages and proc weight changes, but also super strong on weapon focusing on one IPS without being OP with slash since bleed proc damage isn't affected by slash mods.

Then why not just get rid of the 4x physical proc chance weight? (and even then, that's only for 1/3 of the mods - I don't think that I've ever seen anyone craving more impact or puncture procs)

IPS mods are completely and utterly worthless on things like the Lanka or Ignis (which have no physical stats, full stop) or if you want to add a physical damage type which the weapon only has in some pathetically small amount (eg. slash on a Buzlok). They're also useless on weapons which have a balanced distribution of physical damage types, as the damage addition is less than you'd get from an elemental (even a dual stat elemental in some cases).

The only situation where you'd get more damage from an IPS mod is a) when you have one of those rare and valuable +120% mods and b) when the weapon's base damage is at least 75% weighted towards one type. Those situations are very rare, and even then, is that damage type one which you even *want* more of?

It doesn't really help sadly. Even on 90% Slash weighted weapons using a 120% Slash mod is still less DPS than alternatives.

The only exception is Tigris Prime and even in that case the commonly used Viral + Rad + Sweeping gets out scaled by Corrosive eventually. So even in that Extreme with no Crit mods and no Primed Bane mods and 90% Slash weight. It's still not really worth using an IPS mod. If they added Primed versions then did something similar to what you suggest. That "might" work. I'd have to run numbers though.

2 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

Elemental resist sorties?  Or not even that tiny niche?

Not really. Against Corpus, you're still taking toxin damage. Against Grineer, you're always going to want corrosive procs or straight damage corrosive/radiation. Infested - maybe, but that's only because slash is something that they're universally weak to and even then, I still never had any trouble slaughtering L100 elemental resist infested with my viral/electric/shattering impact Lesion.

40 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

Elemental resist sorties?  Or not even that tiny niche?

Honestly I do Elemental Resist Sorties with pure Elemental weapons just cuz it doesn't matter much.

If I were to I'd go Status Bleed though.