Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Empyrean - a winner or failure...?

xslamfox

Just now, XaoGarrent said:

That's terrible for a new mode.

And I guess the both of you are flat earthers, that's cool. The rest of us understand how time zones work, and that it's primetime somewhere in the world at all times.

Nice ad hominem. I suppose you forgot that many of said time zones have their own servers, which don't share with America's.

2 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Nice ad hominem. I suppose you forgot that many of said time zones have their own servers, which don't share with America's.

Ad hominems are relevant when the problem is you.

I suppose you forgot everyone just plays on the US servers anyway.

I really, really REALLY wish they didn't, but I'm constantly reminded of this fact by the constant 150+ ping connections that ignore my ping settings.

Which by the way, connection latency seems to break railjack even harder than normal archwing.

Edited by XaoGarrent

1 minute ago, XaoGarrent said:

Ad hominems are relevant when the problem is you.

I suppose you forgot everyone just plays on the US servers anyway.

I really, really REALLY wish they didn't, but I'm constantly reminded of this fact by the constant 150+ ping connections that ignore my ping settings.

Which by the way, connection latency seems to break railjack even harder than normal archwing.

I don't, and I consistently get games, so evidently not everyone does. Bear in mind the US has one of the most backwards internet service provider systems, by design of the companies, so that would explain why you frequently get high ping connections.

1 minute ago, Loza03 said:

That I don't know. Although 50+ squads is already a great deal more than practically anywhere else in the game to my knowledge.

Also, as @MacKerris pointed out, a large chunk of people will be working.

I was in game and watching the stream when the drop was announced. So I restarted when the patch hit ;much like everyone else on at that time. Got back on, fiddled with my ship. Did 4 horrible solo attempts. Got irritated.... Waited for a long time as one of my friends game kept crashing. Then did the first node without much of a problem wroth just the two of us.

Now like most of those in the US, I'm working. But I'll be back on later to boost those numbers again... And I'll probably be complaining about whatever isn't working. But I'll be having fun too...

Just now, Loza03 said:

I don't, and I consistently get games, so evidently not everyone does. Bear in mind the US has one of the most backwards internet service provider systems, by design of the companies, so that would explain why you frequently get high ping connections.

There's other signifiers that the vast majority of high ping connections aren't from the US, but I don't want to go down that road because certain people with mod powers are easily offended.

So far, after playing a few games with a couple of clannies (we couldn't quite manage a full crew) I'm actually having fun in Empyrion.

Before that, I tried to solo the first mission and it didn't go well, so I simply waited.

Now, if only DE can fix Old Blood for us.

I think I'm pretty well established as not exactly a DE fanboi, but this update is something I personally have been longing for since I found out warframe was a thing. It's buggy AF, no doubt, and I haven't even been able to complete one mission yet, but as a concept, as a feature, this is the future of warframe as I hoped it would go.

The customization, skinning, required teamwork, resource utilization and fun factor are all here. I'm not excusing the poor launch, but if you peer beyond the gimped up hood, there is some serious horsepower waiting to be unleashed. Here's to hoping they don't get adhd and drop it like a hot potato for the next hottest thing.

Haven't played it yet for obvious reasons, but taking into account that this is the *big* update of the year, partners are streaming all day on Twitch and DE used The Game Awards as a publicity booster, it's a little worrying that WF couldn't surpass Destiny's numbers or get to the 100,000+ people of both Eidolon and Fortuna on Steam.

This doesn't mean anything of course, but I don't understand why you go for the general audience boost and you don't release the update with the New Player experience that was promised for this year but wasn't even mentioned in the last Devstream.

11 minutes ago, M3tallius said:

Here's to hoping they don't get adhd and drop it like a hot potato for the next hottest thing.

They already drop this update undercooked af, cant even board enemy crewship without getting softlocked. Sometime im still wearing my archwing inside the ship making me unable to open door or exiting the ship after I shoot the reactor. Its like the most basic and important feature in empyrean, boarding ship, and it didnt even work properly.

I sense great potential in this. Plus the hectic nature of the mode, makes one consider how to use our powers in ways we may not have done so previously.

E.g. Using Vauban to turn your Railjack into Home Alone in Space. Frost Snowglobe to cover your back when piloting or using a turret. 

Needs a lot of bug fixes though. First time the game hard-crashed on me in my 2000 hours play history.

Edited by Xepthrichros

It’s a Winner for me. If DE fix the Bugs this Update came with (looking at you, player trapping Crewships) i can enjoy my time playing Railjack because how the Mission Types are designed, it can make good team work help the most for completion, more than Eidolons.

Edited by GPrime96

6 hours ago, tyreens said:

To be fair you get them those mats by playing railjack a lot. You don't need to mine them.

But what i don't like is how many people are going to defend the current railjack with future content/updates. When we have learned one thing about DE, it's that they can't extend/rework an existing mechanic properly. All that counts is how good it is right now and it is not worth the hype it got over the years. It's not as bad as old blood though but DE will have a hard time when they continue that quality.

I think I'll go back to my original statement. The pustrels are hard to obtain and we need a lot of them. A lot. That sucks completely. 
Meanwhile, we get stuff like Ferrite as bonus for completing the missions. The why in hell someone at DE had the idea to put these garbage that are never used as rewards instead of the new stuff? It is like they don't they own game.

1. For being in Warframe, it's overengineered. It does a 180 on cooperation, actually requiring you to work together and while co-op in warframe is far from a bad thing, the cooperation relies on busywork, not skill. I'm enjoying the shouting and confusion, but it's not exactly a strength of the game mode.

2. For any other space sim it's oversimplified with nothing you do feeling satisfactory, but just another way of grinding new materials that you didn't have millions of.

3. As usual, you get to grind everything, being dependent on RNG to get new ship parts and whenever you've finally gotten those installed, you've likely beat every node in the game making those gains worthless. You can argue that it'll be relevant in upcoming content, but you're naive if you think it'll be an expanded game mode and not what might as well be retextured enemies that act a little differently.

4. It's feature creep and a money sink. It's pay 2 win / pay 2 skip grinding which sets a terrible precedent and I'm completely against it.

5. It's boring. I'm sorry but this is actually not interesting to play.
Everything hinges on two people: The engineer keeping the ship in one piece and the invader taking out crewships and objectives, the rest are superfluous. You can literally park the ship somewhere and just concentrate on those two things. Finish the objective, spend AGES picking up loot and repeat.

tl;dr Railjack is exactly what I predicted, another thing the devs thought would be fun to implement and a quick flashy appeal, but no longevity and little actual satisfying gameplay, let alone challenging (apart from bullet sponge enemies that you can ignore if going for the ship core).

What's good about it? It looks cool and besides the game breaking bugs (which will be fixed soon anyway) nothing is outright terrible.

11 hours ago, Dr.Pepper23 said:

That said, why would it be released in such a state that feels halfbaked.. Just bc of game awards pressure and the promise before Xmas release?

They're already known for their [DE]lays , why not just delay it untill after their vacation? Sure it will still have bugs and ppl will get mad of delays but man this is terrible. 

Because economically you cannot simply delay absolutely everything, you can try but its not always feasible - sometimes you have to put something out that perhaps might not be 100% sometimes external things to the studio require it.

After trying this mode multiple times, I can safely say this is a failure. It is plagued not only with massive bugs, but also huge balancing problems, design choices and other disasters which, frankly, I don't know if they will ever get fixed. Just as an example, the Railjack weapons feels to underpowered and lackluster that you are better off going with archwing and leave the railjack parked behind an asteroid. The fact that DE also nerfed archguns makes it clear that they know about this. There is also the problem with people leeching the matches and the rest not being able to extract because of them.
The whole update feels rushed, from a simple deluxe skin to the new game mode. 

With so many failures, one after one, I think it is time to say goodbye to this game.

Edited by Anthraxicus