Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Should I Try Next? Weapons And Frames

Soul_Shinobi

Question

I have a mastery rank of 5 and a bit over 100 hours of play time.  I don't use platinum for anything but buying slots (I have 87 left).  That said I've still been able to put Orokin Reactors on all my frames, and have one left. I've completed all energy and chem research in my dojo but I only have 1 forma left (I may use platinum for forma). I have plenty of credits for buying blueprints.

Here's what I currently have, their level, and what I thought:

EDIT: I made a new list of the things I've tried since this post, and what I'm again considering next (scroll down to post #17 or click here)

Warframes:

Excalibur (30): Solid, fun, well rounded; I enjoyed it, but the lack of utility gets boring

Ash (30): Also very good, smokescreen is addictive, bladestorm is cool but gets boring

Trinity (16): I really like having utility to my team, getting better at being a healer but I miss being able to use smokescreen when reviving

Considering: I'm looking more for utility to keep things interesting, but I also find having no damage abilities to be frustrating.  I was thinking about Loki because it's easy to acquire and his abilities are interesting enough I don't mind there being no direct damage, then Nyx later when I've unlocked all of Eris.  Totally open to suggestions and accompanying reasoning.  I've also considered Banshee (difficult to acquire, have chassis and BP), Nova, and Vauban (I only need the helmet).

Primary Weapons:

Braton (30): Fun solid weapon, I like using this but I do burn through ammo

Gorgon (30): Has its utility for boss fights, but otherwise it's a bit difficult to use

Hind (30): Works very well but burst fire becomes annoying to deal with

Boltor (30): It's alright, not too hard to use, but the armor ignore doesn't seem to be as big a deal as people say, but then again I don't potatoe most of my stuff

Strun Wraith (30): My only potatoed primary, this thing breaks the game in close quarters; I'm not crazy about shotguns though

Soma (30): Lots of fun, but low damage and ammo economy is annoying

Considering: What I really want is a Braton Prime (need to start using all my void keys more!).  Considering the Vulkar and the bows, as well as my research weapons (will need to get higher mastery) Dera (level 4, can use, is it worth it??), Ogris (level 6), Flux Rifle (level 6), Supra (level 7), Lanka (Level 7).  Likely, I'll hold off to make the Ogris when my mastery gets up unless someone makes a case for the other things I've considered.

Secondary Weapons:

Lato (30): Good, nothing stands out

Lex (30): Power is nice but that damn kick is useless

Hikou (30): Lots of fun, really enjoyed

Kunai (30): Didn't use too much, not sure if more or less effective than the Hikou, but they're not as fun

Vasto (30): Very suitable for &#! saving when downed, great power for how little kick there is, fun

Considering: Holding out for the despair, but Stalker keeps showing up when I'm nursing new weapons or frames.  Spectra looks very effective, but I'm on the fence about the forma cost.  What else is fun with half decent accuracy and damage?  What's good for &#! saving when downed?

Melee Weapons:

Orthos (30): Only potatoed melee weapon I have, it was so good compared to the Cronus I was compelled to; works so well that it's almost not fun

Dual Zoren (30): Got these as a login reward and barely used them, I didn't really attempt to Zorencopter everywhere, which seems to be the only appeal?

Galive (28): This keeps things interesting, it's fun, but I can't bring myself to consider it practical, I need a real melee weapon again

Considering: Galatine, but I'm worried it's too similar to the Orthos.  I really have no idea what's good or fun and there are so many melee weapons, I need help!  I can afford the blueprints for anything, and already have the blueprints for: Dark Dagger, Heat Sword, Pangolin Sword, Plasma Sword. Are any of these decent?

That's it, I'm game for discussing any aspects of weapon and frame choice, what do you think?

Edited by Soul_Shinobi

for your  frame, what about saryn? nice utility from molt and contagion, good damage from miasma (armor ignoring as-well) and a ton of fun from toxic spores

for melee perhaps the fang would be a bit refreshing from all of the crits and charge builds

for a sidearm i cant really help much but perhaps bronco

bows are also lots of fun i can tell from personal experience,

all this combines into a decent sounding build, fang for single targets, bow for range and stealth and bronco for crowds and close range

Edited by AdmiralAvalanche

for your  frame, what about saryn? nice utility from molt and contagion, good damage from miasma (armor ignoring as-well) and a ton of fun from toxic spores

for melee perhaps the fang would be a bit refreshing from all of the crits and charge builds

for a sidearm i cant really help much but perhaps bronco

bows are also lots of fun i can tell from personal experience,

all this combines into a decent sounding build, fang for single targets, bow for range and stealth and bronco for crowds and close range

Saryn looks like an interesting take on a tank, but the slow movement speed may get on my nerves. Fang does sound interesting and fun for the speed.  I have to look into bows. :)

Soma low damage ? 

you need to make it a crit build, then it becomes a monster~ 

Just about any frame is worth trying - maybe try out Nova, she's a glass cannon 

or Rhino who is the "Tank" of the game per say

I did make it a crit build, but I still felt like the Braton was just a bit more effective, and the wind-up time is annoying even if it's small.

Banshee is nifty with sonar, i would also recommend getting bow of any kind pretty fun to use.

Bow is starting to sound like a good theme...  Which one?

Edited by Soul_Shinobi

Building a Paris and Fang right now. :D  Thanks for the pointers.  Just need to pick a secondary.

I'm considering working up to either Twin Viper or Dual Vasto (since I have one already).  My goal is high damage output when in a downed state or when things get iffy close up.  Thoughts?

Edited by Soul_Shinobi

If you like the fast attack speed setup of the Fang, the Dual Ichors are far more powerful (and work with a crit build better). Ether Daggers or Dual Ethers are both extremely effective for non-charged melee dps as well, and dont require forma/mutagens to craft.

Furax are single target charge weapons and play cinsiderably different to Orthos. If you like multi target melee, the Dual Heat Swords are like the Furax but longer charge time but have cleave.

Dual Vasto has one of the highest burst dps of the sidearms. Quite ammo efficient although not AI so slightly less effective against Grineer than, say, the Gremlins/Despair.

Specra is just bad, don't.

Dont invest in a catalyst for the Paris, wait for the Prime or the Dread, if you like the Paris. Torid is, iirc, available sooner than the Ogris and will give you some idea of how an AoE launcher will work, with the difference that Ogris charges like a bow and deals damage upfront rather than over time.

Oh, try this build for the Soma, it'll give you a better appreciation of how well the crits work;

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/115208-help-needed-for-upgrading-weapon/?p=1342294

I was considering the Furax at one point, they looked fun so I'll have to try in the future.

I'm leaning toward Dual Vastos right now.  Can you use both sidearms when down, or are you limited to one like when ziplining?  Gremlins and Despair both look great if / when I can find them.

Thanks for the tips on the bows, I'll follow that advice.  I'll actually have the BP for the Ogris on Friday, but I don't have a Bio lab.

Haha, the problem with my Soma build was that I have an addiction to Shred (I wanna punch holes in things!), that's my DPS bottleneck, thanks. :)

Edited by Soul_Shinobi

If you're going to use your void keys I'll suggest:

Volt/Nyx or Mag or Mag Prime. All of them have utility and damage. Volt has synergy with laser weapons.

Dera. It's a laser Braton essentially. It's fun but it's not hitscan.

If you're using volt it becomes hitscan with electric sheild.

Dual vastos/bronco prime. You might as well go for dual vastos since you have one already. Also helps with mastery. Bronco prime is pretty awesome as well. Low clip but tons of damage. Basically hek.

Galatine/Scindo/Orthos prime. Scindo is hella fun because it's a freaking huge axe. Galantine is pretty much the best melee weapon in the game. Orthos prime is also really good and if you're doing keys you should pick it up.

Other things:

You can get forma from T3 voids, they take a day to make, but 10 play to rush. So yeah you can effectively get two formas for he price of one or just wait a day.

You should really make all those melee weapons and get mastery from them.

If you're farming the void, you'll have plenty of credits for stuff.

Dual vastos are fun.

By the way, it's not too hard to take the stalker down even with basic weapons. Just jump on a box and spray him from there, or let your teammates take care of him. It's almost impossible for him to kill you.

I've done that with extremely low-ranked weapons.

My personal recommendation for the next round:Latron(preferably the primed variant), Twin Gremlins, and Dual Ethers. Ethers will initially seem sub par once you hit higher level enemies. It's with a potatoed melee build that it really starts to shine. Twin Gremlins are excellent for crowd control. Latron excells at semi-auto sniping. It's not a full sniper and it isn't spray and pray, but it will definitely be a lot of fun against the Grineer. As for a frame, I think frost with a QT/Rage build will be loads of fun with these weapons.Go for prime if you can!

I definitely suggest Rhino he can make leveling weapons so easy with iron skin and excellent crowd control with rhino stomp.

For a primary the soma can with the correct mods be doing thousands of crit damage.

For a secondary the seer is great at sniping lower level enemies from large distances but you need prints from captain vor

For a melee weapon the galatine is good for those higher level enemies that you can't one shot with the orthos if you mod correctly.

Hope advice is helpful.

Alright, here's what I did since my last post, including the levels they're at now:

Warframes: 

Trinity (30): I ended up liking Trinity's utility despite the lack of offense.  After learning the Well of Life > Energy Vampire trick I find her quite usable.

Vauban (30): Honestly, I only built him because I just got all the parts. This is also the first frame I haven't potatoed because I'm not entirely committed. That said, it's working out really well and I hardly feel the need to potatoe it. I max ranked Tesla and Bastile. This is the first frame where I actually used the two polarity slots for their purpose, instead of slotting something else in that I wanted. He's only very useful at defense, but competent at running missions..

Considering: Honestly I was thinking Loki then Nyx still, and I only need Banshee's systems to built her. However, I think I should consider a tank for unlocking the last few planets.  If used properly, Trinity can be perpetually invincible if you use Energy Vampire and Blessing right, but I haven't tried it.  How's Rhino compare to Frost? Also, which frames have mass genocide abilities? I find myself envying the people in defense missions who can just make everything in sight explode.

Primary Weapons:

Paris (30): I got pretty good at using the bow, but I'm lukewarm on it.  The damage per second just isn't there. Okay, I did enjoy it on missions, it's just unusable on defense.

Considering: Really I'm just holding off to make my Ogris, my mastery is nearly there. I was never really attracted to the Latron, for something semi-auto and accurate I'd want more damage, or full auto -- no inbetween. I was even considering the Vulkar, but the small magazine looks like no fun.  Maybe the Lanka later. While I've been waiting, I finally got to get some use out of all my other fully leveled weapons (see OP), gave them all a chance.  The only ones I felt worked well were the Braton and Soma.  I take out the Strun Wraith when I really need to tear things up (my only potatoed primary). Still not set in stone where I'm going after the Ogris.

Secondary Weapons:

Dual Vastos (30): This was a good choice, they're almost too good!  I was surprised how accurate they were too.

Viper (16): Just grabbed this a couple days ago because Twin Vipers looks like they're going to be fun. Leveling this for mastery first.  Not bad so far, but the low volume of the firing sound actually makes it less fun, sadly.

Considering: Twin Vipers then sticking to the Dual Vastos (unless the Vipers do better burst damage) for &#!-saving when downed, until I get the Despair. Honestly I thought the Hikou were the most fun. Still open to suggestions and reasoning. I do have one part of the Seer. Maybe I might try the Bronko just to see if it's fun?

Melee Weapons:

Fang (30): These were fun, but the short range weapons make it hard to see and focus on a single target; annoying, especially when attacks have momentum.

Kogake (16): Impulse buy.  Really fun so far! 

Considering: When I was being indecisive I went back through my other weapons again, and I really like all the melee weapons I have so far for different situations. I finally learned to Zorencopter, and that's fun as hell.  I usually end up falling back on my Orthos when I need to get serious since it's my only potatoed melee weapon. Thinking about the Galatine, it is a beast. Maybe I'll run the Void more and see if I can wind up with an Orthos Prime.
Edited by Soul_Shinobi

in terms of rhino vs. frost, both are tanky and slow, but that where the similarities stop. frost is a caster, his skills all have to do with ice and generally keep him at range from the enemy. rhino is the taniest of the tanky tanks.he is about getting in someones face and either doing the damages, or taking the damages. his iron skin makes him invincible, as long as you have the energy to cast it, and rhino stomp is definitely a genocide ability youre looking for.

I was keeping an eye on Rhinos I played with today, and after rewatching the crash course video for him (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcIeEVeZtfg'>link) I'm seriously considering it.

I updated my last post with current level of items. I just hit 30 with Vauban, still haven't potatoed, still don't feel the need to (it would be nice but he's pretty competent as-is.).

For primary, I started building my Ogris last night.

For secondary, I just built my second Viper, will make Twin vipers once the first one's leveled (it's at 26 now), after that I already started building the Ballistica because it's too cool not to.

For melee, not sure.  May just go with the Galatine once the Kogake are leveled (at 25 now) since it's the highest charge damage (it may complement my Ogris well).  I'm not sure that play style is the most fun to me though, I like how my Orthos does good multitarget normal attack damage. Orthos Prime would probably be ideal, but I also like the Dakra Prime even though it's inferior, it's just so pretty.

For frames, not sure. It's a toss-up for Rhino or Loki (I want fancy utility moves!) followed by Nyx. I admit I'm leaning toward Rhino for the practicality of a tank, I'll probably farm him soon.

Edited by Soul_Shinobi

Primary:

Soma

Ogris

Torid

Ignis

Dera

Flux

Synapse

Hek

Sobek

Supra

Braton Prime

Paris Prime

Secondary:

Despair

Acrid

Twin Grems

Ballistica

Melee:

Dual Ichor

Galatine

Orthos Prime

Reaper Prime

Hate

Fang Prime

Well... THas atleast whats in my inventory.

O Frames:

Nova

Volt

Mag Prime

Rhino

Saryn

Dera is fun.

Flux Rifle is just as fun, and actually effective.

3 Primaries:

(I like DPS) Soma, Synapse, Flux

(I like AoE) Ogris or Torid, Ignis, ... still Soma (with Shred)

Mag is more of a damaging frame with some CC, while Nova is more of a debuffing frame with some CC. They're both equally good in the hands of a skilled player - Nova provides a group buff (2x dmg from MP) while Mag is kinda more standalone. Nova is better then Mag if the player at the controls is less aware.

Building a Paris and Fang right now. :D  Thanks for the pointers.  Just need to pick a secondary.

I'm considering working up to either Twin Viper or Dual Vasto (since I have one already).  My goal is high damage output when in a downed state or when things get iffy close up.  Thoughts?

Twin Vipers is a huge no. You can empty the clip in what feels like less than two seconds. I feel like I spend more time reloading than shooting. I'd say Dual Vastos.

Haha, I just started building the Twin Vipers.  I have the Dual Vastos and they're my go-to secondary for challenging missions. I don't expect them to be super effective, but I think I'll find Twin Vipers fun just for the bullet-dump style. I've equipped my new Ballistica while they're building.

My Ogris is half leveled, and I'm enjoying it.  I might try the flux rifle next, the only other thing I'd consider is the Vulkar right now. That and farming Prime weapons, which I should probably get on.  I have 3 Fieldrons and just replicated 7 more blueprints and started building so I'll be ready (6,000 credits left over, haha).  I want the Lanka and Supra when I'm Mastery Rank 7, but I just got to rank 6.

Still on the fence for my next melee weapon, but leaning toward the Galatine because I guess you have to have the highest charge damage weapon in your arsenal, just in case.  I'm not sure the combat style will be very fun for me, but it will be effective.

For frames, probably getting Rhino for now, then Nyx or Loki. EDIT: Just got Rhino systems, building...

Quick recap of what I have in the order I acquired, everything is level 30 unless noted:

Warframes:

Excalibur

Ash

Trinity

Vauban

Rhino (building)

Primary Weapons:

Braton

Gorgon

Hind

Boltor

Strun Wraith