big fan of Excalibur. I do not like this Excalibur Deluxe skin

MysticDragonMage

i mean no disrespect to the original artist of this skin or the developers for approving it, but i feel as if this skin in particular is in need of review. the following is just my opinion.

in general, the skin is aesthetically pleasing to look at, but that is all this skin is. it does not represent anything special about warframe or Excalibur. it has a nomad-warrior style to which you could make comparisons to Excalibur at first until you realize most other warframes have the same characteristics.

probably the main problem is that a lot of the artist's influence and preferences went into this skin, and dare i say a little too much of it. same could be said with Khora's deluxe concept by the same artist; aesthetically pleasing to look at, but does not draw inspiration from the game or the character.

EDIT:

i also have a few more problems with the skin that are noteworthy about the skin's details.

the prayer beads (are they?) have more of a luminescent surface rather than what was originally envisioned. the original artist presented them as clear transparent orbs and energy within. refer to the original art:

Spoiler

liger-inuzuka-excalibur-deluxe-final-by-

there is too much color channel overlap. refer to these images:

Spoiler

below, the primary color is green, showing just how much of the skin the primary color effects.

Spoiler

xmrg6b1.jpg

tertiary color is red, overlaping with primary and turning a bright yellow.

Spoiler

YDiHZcT.jpg

accent colors are blue. primary colors that overlaps with accent colors turn bright blue

Spoiler

A0gQT2a.jpg

HfLCMb1.jpg

emissive colors are red. primary color is overlapping with emissive colors, turing them yellow. (orbs)

Spoiler

K55wjTy.jpg

i'd much rather equip the original exalted blade than the deluxe one. its hardly a sword. the blade (still determining weather or not it has one) only covers half of the weapon and is not as long as the original exalted blade. this is also the reason why i did not purchase the entire deluxe pack with the Nikana skin.

I made a thread about the problems with the colors in this skin. It is not just the robe that is affected by the primary color. It is everything. The orbs, the "hair" like thing that comes out of his head, the belt, the robe etc. If you look closer at the original design, the artist suggested the color channels. What is the primary color in the current skin was actually the accents in the concept. It is pretty hard to color this skin correctly, and everything looks bland, including the orbs, which should be glowing with energy, but is actually affected by the primary color as well.

There are also some details missing, like what looks like to be the grip of a dagger under his belt next to the horn. 

FRRCV4f.pngIFaFEAL.png

1 hour ago, Anthraxicus said:

I made a thread about the problems with the colors in this skin. It is not just the robe that is affected by the primary color. It is everything. The orbs, the "hair" like thing that comes out of his head, the belt, the robe etc. If you look closer at the original design, the artist suggested the color channels. What is the primary color in the current skin was actually the accents in the concept. It is pretty hard to color this skin correctly, and everything looks bland, including the orbs, which should be glowing with energy, but is actually affected by the primary color as well.

There are also some details missing, like what looks like to be the grip of a dagger under his belt next to the horn. 

FRRCV4f.pngIFaFEAL.png

Yeah, I was going to let this pass at first but you are absolutely right. The color channels are also a noticable issue.

It feels like this deluxe skin was rushed.

While i really like the skin, thanks for explaining your problems with the skin in a calm and clear manner. While i dont think this is going to effect the current skin, i hope your feedback is taken into account for the hydroid skin, I think you had some really good points with this post. 

Thank you for being civil. 

2 hours ago, MysticDragonMage said:

Yeah, I was going to let this pass at first but you are absolutely right. The color channels are also a noticable issue.

It feels like this deluxe skin was rushed.

The entire update was rushed. The skin just proves it beyond any reasonable doubt

i would also like to point something out concerning the color channel overlap.

below, the primary color is green, showing just how much of the skin the primary color effects.

Spoiler

xmrg6b1.jpg

tertiary color is red, overlaping with primary and turning a bright yellow.

Spoiler

YDiHZcT.jpg

accent colors are blue. primary colors that overlaps with accent colors turn bright blue.

Spoiler

HfLCMb1.jpg

emissive colors are red. primary color is overlapping with emissive colors, turing them yellow. (orbs)

Spoiler

K55wjTy.jpg

On 2019-12-13 at 6:06 PM, MysticDragonMage said:

probably the main problem is that a lot of the artist's influence and preferences went into this skin, and dare i say a little too much of it. same could be said with Khora's deluxe concept by the same artist; aesthetically pleasing to look at, but does not draw inspiration from the game or the character.

I agree, as art they are interesting to look at but they aren't what I want for my Warframes.   Not to say that some people do favor Liger's style and enjoy these types of skins as clearly they do.  I just wish some of the deluxe skins had more broader appeal and less extreme styles.  Its DE's game though and no one is forcing me to buy the skins I don't like. I just wish there were more of the newer skins I did like. *shrugs*

Archived