Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjpdn

Refine Button On Railjack Needs Warnings/Restrictions

Railjack is tons of fun! I don't mind the crafting resources thing, as I've actually found myself always in surplus. Its certainly a nice challenge that I've rarely seen in Warframe. 

However...

All of my Railjack missions I've failed, till now, was because of one of two things:

1. Pilot stopped piloting, no new resources.

2. Someone pressed Refine in the forge, reducing the resources we could have used to save our ships into mission drops. 

So, for the love of god, plz do one of the following:

-Explain what refine does beside the button

-Remove it, and instead automatically refine on return to dojo and automatically refine excess materials.

-Make a popup after clicking on it that says "are you sure? You won't be able to use these resources in this mission anymore". 

Also, one QoL change: Make it more visible that a forge is on cooldown. I can't tell if a forge is in use till I right on it. 

It should be a auto refine at the end of the mission with maybe some extra going to the host to rebuild their consumables or getting tied to the railjack like how clans have a dojo treasury there would be a railjack treasury that holds enough resources to refill all the consumables to full.

then if the team forgets to restock for the host, the host still get the resources to restock their consumables but it is tied to the ship so it isn't like they are getting tons of extra resources for "free" if people would have a problem with that for some reason.  View it as Cy being smart enough to keep some back like how Ordis uses credits to keep the lights on and air going.

When you hover over the button, it says what it does. Maybe add a warning icon next to it for people who just want to press stuff? This might just be one of the things people need to learn to use, like when to use life support in survival.

1 hour ago, jjpdn said:

-Explain what refine does beside the button

I'll do you one better - how about having ANY explanation of what the thing does? I still have no real idea about how that mechanic works. I was under the impression that we got all of the resources we've picked up at the end of the mission. Is that NOT the case? Because if it is the case, then what's the point of the Refine button? What happens if we pick up more than 200 Pustrels? Do they disappear into the Ether? What is this mechanic and why is nothing in Railjack explained?

This is the kind of terrible new player experience which damn near made me stop playing within my first 10 hours or so. I thought I'd dealt with it two years ago, yet here we are all over again, with a new undocumented piece of content that I just have to blindly guess my way through by pressing all the buttons and keeping my fingers crossed. What happens in a couple of months when the Stream and the Patch Notes are no longer front-page news? What does a player do THEN?

47 minutes ago, PikeOrShield said:

When you hover over the button, it says what it does. Maybe add a warning icon next to it for people who just want to press stuff? This might just be one of the things people need to learn to use, like when to use life support in survival.

Serious? What other buttons in Warframe do this? Seems counter-intuitive in the context of WF.  

19 minutes ago, jjpdn said:

What other buttons in Warframe do this?

Lots of systems in the game work like this. Items in inventory, menu options, store items, profiles, mission bar, etc. but yeah having such an important button easily accessable to anyone will cause some issues from time to time.

If the refine button so you can (during the mission) share your excess revolite mats with other who have no revo mats? If so, maybe call it "share resourses with team" and not "refine?"

16 hours ago, PikeOrShield said:

Lots of systems in the game work like this. Items in inventory, menu options, store items, profiles, mission bar, etc. but yeah having such an important button easily accessable to anyone will cause some issues from time to time.

Difference is that unlike the other buttons. The refine one can be pressed quickly due to panic. Since, usually, when we have someone rush to the engineer room, means the team is being pressured or people have to act fast to save the mission or keep things in control. 

I myself pressed that button thinking its a auto build button or a mid mission upgrade to speed up cooldown time or something. We almost failed the mission, had to go out of the game to figure out what I did. 

When youre new and youre panicking. Youre not gonna hover over and read, you are just gonna click. 

Refining should not be in the game.

It's just busy work to make sure you lose materials in several ways:

• Forgetting to refine or host ending mission without warning - Lose materials.
  • Max capacity of forge - Lose materials over capacity.
  • Refine mid mission (or whenever) and fail mission - Losing resources
  • Use materials for repairs and special weapons, - Lose materials.

So adding a warning is pointless because you lose either way and neither way is wrong.

Expecting mid mission comms to agree refining is absurd and trolling is real, intended or not.

IF there has to be a forge at all (shared resources):

• Forge should auto share at end of mission
  • Anything above max capacity should be auto shared
  • No refine button at all (auto as required)

I have searched for WHY we have refine at all and all I can find is it because its an 'programming engine issue' due to using resources during an active mission, ie it has nothing to do with game play. IDK if thats true.

I see some arguments for cooldowns instead of using materials.

IDK what's best, I just know its not working and adding a tool tip is like putting a band aid on the Niagara falls.

On 2019-12-14 at 2:35 AM, Steel_Rook said:

I'll do you one better - how about having ANY explanation of what the thing does? I still have no real idea about how that mechanic works. I was under the impression that we got all of the resources we've picked up at the end of the mission. Is that NOT the case? Because if it is the case, then what's the point of the Refine button? What happens if we pick up more than 200 Pustrels? Do they disappear into the Ether? What is this mechanic and why is nothing in Railjack explained?

This is the kind of terrible new player experience which damn near made me stop playing within my first 10 hours or so. I thought I'd dealt with it two years ago, yet here we are all over again, with a new undocumented piece of content that I just have to blindly guess my way through by pressing all the buttons and keeping my fingers crossed. What happens in a couple of months when the Stream and the Patch Notes are no longer front-page news? What does a player do THEN?

Exactly.

There is a button that turns 100% of our repairs and ammo into 1% of our loot. I don't care about 1% of our loot. There are rewards that drop 1,000 of something at a time. And I'm soloing the clan research without any problems. What I have a problem with is trying to repair or make ammo and seeing 0 in the forge after playing for twenty minutes. I see no reason for refining whatsoever. Get rid of it.