Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tengo - The Enemy Within

Zonzai

So I was thinking about how to create more enemies and unique fights for warframe today at work. This is what I came up with...

The Enemy: Tengo

Tenno that have been corrupted or just driven insane by the vast lonely emptiness of space. For whatever reason, one of the tenno ships malfunctioned and some of the tenno in cryosleep awakened and went crazy (ala Pandorum). These Tenno aren't in it for the money, they're just psycho.

The Mission: Blow 'em to Hell

To avert the potential political liability of leaving such a nasty Tenno force floating around in space - just waiting to be found by the Grineer and used as a rallying cry for more war resources - you, tenno, have the nasty job of getting rid of them. These corrupted tenno aren't like the other enemies you face, sure they're trying to kill you, but they're tough. And there's a whole ship of them out there. The mission: blow their ship and pray for their forgiveness.

The Pitch: Resources Already Exist

Reskin the tenno to be the tengo. Put them in a tenno ship. Ideally, the tengo will be a different kind of enemy. Not the mass swarm of cannon fodder currently prevalant in the game. These enemies will be bad ***. Each one should be a mini-boss fight. It makes sense why. They're super warrior space ninjas on evil crack (Saturday morning here we come). They shouldn't be as difficult as a boss fight, more like a grineer commander (bomber, etc.) but with a full set of tenno powers. That is, a rhino tengo should have rhino powers, a frost tengo should have frost power and a trinity tengo should have trinity powers. Obviously, they will need adjusting.

The Reason: Teamwork

The more I think about this idea the better I like it. I like the idea of a whole level where running off ahead doesn't mean better rewards with no risk. It means you have to work together to get through the levels. That to me is the heart of Warframe; a co-op game where teamwork is rewarded and running ahead isn't (at least not this time).

The Tengo Ship (Brainstorm): A Space Ninja's Ninja Spaceship

I like the idea of the tengo ship being a bit different than the other factions' ships. Tenno are space ninjas. What suits space ninjas than a Japanese inspired plain white walls with a myriad of sliding doors and opening configurations? Whole rooms in the ship should be able to open up to others. I think a very Spartan, white with black-framed decor could work well - for the tenno... For the tengo, you could do the same but make it old and broken. Insane blood red ramblings could be painted on the white-walled canvas that is the ship's interior.

Edited by Zonzai

we could just have tenno that are taken by that infection, i mean they are in cryostasis, there are chances of that infection spreading to them before they even get woken up.by the lotus or something.

Another thing was that, they could do missions where there are double agents.

Lets face it, no one is obligated to fight on anyone's side but their own, and if they want to do it for profit, why can't they get hired out by the Corpus, we could do missions where it is a team of players trying to complete the objective while another team tries to stop them.

Though this would only add variety to the kind of missions you get between taking on the grineer, infection, and corpus.

Why Tengo?

Because in Japanese folklore a tengu is often a fallen supernatural creature (a demon). Tenno + Tengu = Tengo in my brain. That's all.

we could just have tenno that are taken by that infection, i mean they are in cryostasis, there are chances of that infection spreading to them before they even get woken up.by the lotus or something.

That would be fine too but it would mostly just be an infected mission though.

Edited by Zonzai

Someone in-game was talking to me about this and I have to say I'm pretty against it. Partially because it's kind of cliche, but also because the Tenno are supposed to be the last of a dying race with everyone out to kill them, they're not in a position to backstab eachother and they're obviously far too well disciplined to go mental.

The idea of an "evil" Tenno is heretical.

Someone in-game was talking to me about this and I have to say I'm pretty against it. Partially because it's kind of cliche, but also because the Tenno are supposed to be the last of a dying race with everyone out to kill them, they're not in a position to backstab eachother and they're obviously far too well disciplined to go mental.

The idea of an "evil" Tenno is heretical.

Not really, the game's lore has made it so that there is a possibility the awakened Tenno can "rebel" and go their own way as mercenaries, using their powers for wealth.

I just don't agree with the OP's implementation.

Someone in-game was talking to me about this and I have to say I'm pretty against it. Partially because it's kind of cliche, but also because the Tenno are supposed to be the last of a dying race with everyone out to kill them, they're not in a position to backstab each other and they're obviously far too well disciplined to go mental. The idea of an "evil" Tenno is heretical.

Not that I don't absolutely love everything about the Tenno, but are you suggesting that super space ninja's are not inherently cliché? What about being mentally deranged makes them cross the border from acceptably cliché to impossibly cliché?

The idea of a mentally deranged Tenno does not fall outside of the boundaries of the game's lore and unless you know something about Tenno religion that I don't (which is possible), it isn't heretical.

If you don't like the idea, that's fine. I'm not asking for a seal of approval on my boredom-induced brainstorming (though I appreciate the sentiment Strat). I have absolutely no intention of trying to force you (or anybody else) to like the idea. So if you actually just don't like the idea please feel free to say, "I don't like it." Contriving an argument is not necessary when disagreement is acceptable. :)

I just don't agree with the OP's implementation.

You don't have to elaborate but if you would like to, I would like to listen. I'm not one of those people who thinks that they know everything and my e-peen is very small.

Perhaps heretical was the wrong word. My point wasn't one about religion but it seeming way out of character.

True that space ninjas are pretty cliche, but as it stands the story is pretty original (excluding the ninjas), it just seems to me that "traitors" is eugh-tastic. Also just saying "I don't like it" isn't argueing, it's just contradiction, pretty sure Monty Python covered this.

If you don't like the idea, that's fine. I'm not asking for a seal of approval on my boredom-induced brainstorming (though I appreciate the sentiment Strat).

Don't get defensive when someones critical of your idea then.

Regardless of your or my dumb ideas I'm sure DE's worked this all out.

Edited by Spiffmeister

I'm more partial to current enemy factions using the Warframes they've acquired. Not only do we get enemy Warframe-users, it would also drive the point of those defense missions home.

Pretty sure game lore states that only the Tenno can use the warframes. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

It'd be more interesting to see them use seperate powers (like the exta bosses ice hammer thingo).

Don't get defensive when someones critical of your idea then.

I'm really not getting defensive. I actually debated on whether or not to reply because I worried that if I did it would only further this rising argument which I don't want to have with you (or anybody else). I'll just say I understand what you are saying now and I think a big part of that was simply miscommunication. We don't have to agree whether or not it fits the Tenno or not and that's okay. There's really no call for any type of arguing. So let's not.

I accept your point of view. :)

Why not Tango? Then we could all say "tango down". :D

LOL I hadn't thought of that. Their name is unimportant. I'm sure DE could pick a better one, like mentally deranged super space ninja's on evil crack (MDSSNoEC).

It'd be more interesting to see them use seperate powers (like the exta bosses ice hammer thingo).

I think that's all good too. I'm more concerned with having more variation in the missions though (new environments, traps and enemies, etc.). Just because I'm worried that the press' reception will be critical of this point. Not that DE isn't going to add more variety, I'm sure that they are. But that's why my random daydreaming led me down this path.

So now I'm curios. I'm in the process of authoring my first fully funded novel and I'm really interested to know exactly what it is that so many people (well, a handful of people) don't like about this idea. What part(s) of the "implementation" (e.g. idea) do you guys not like?

These are the things that I think are good about this idea; space, politics, emotional conflict and psychosis. All of these things allow for very interesting dynamics in terms of storytelling and (I hope) playing. The vast emptiness of space is an integral aspect of this idea, or at least it was in Pandorum. The political aspect adds to the world's lore. There is a significant emotional conflict for players due to the situation that the entire species find itself in. As a player, you don't want to have to kill your allies but you have no choice. It's dirty work that challenges the notion of your code of honor. But if games don't challenge us as gamers, why play them? And dementia is always fun to write, especially when it comes to dialogue.

Anyway, I respect your guys' opinions. I don't mind that you guys don't like my ideas. I have very little emotional attachement to this idea so there is no danger of causing a fight with me. I hope I've shown that I'm not interested in forum wars. As a writer I would really like more feedback so that I can become a better writer. That's all I'm asking for here. Anybody willing to elaborate a bit more?

So now I'm curios. I'm in the process of authoring my first fully funded novel and I'm really interested to know exactly what it is that so many people (well, a handful of people) don't like about this idea. What part(s) of the "implementation" (e.g. idea) do you guys not like?

Now you want criticism :)

CBF to write an essay so have some dot points:

Logical points -

1. Politics aren't an issue here, because the Tenno are being hunted by everyone it's not like rogue tenno are going to cause an "incident" or whatever.

2. The Tenno are few in numbers (*cough* last earthlings *cough* =D). If there ships with lots of derp Tenno then we're not few in numbers. I know you said "a few boss fights" [in shorthand], but even with just a few per ship, you've either got;

A - a really boring level with 4-5 enemies in it or

B - a lot of levels with a few evil dudes which adds up to a lot of evil dudes.

3 - Teamwork shouldn't rely on a specific enemy being in the game. Levels and enemies should be challenging enough that teamwork is necessary all the time. There are more interesting ways to generate teamwork and make it enjoyable as well, such as crossframe power combos (there's been a few threads suggesting this).

Not so logical points -

4 - We only just woke up from cryosleep, we're ancient warriors from 1000's of yrs ago. If we were going to go insane we would have long ago.

5 - I just find the idea of an insane Tenno wrong. Stand your warframe still and look at it. That's not the look of something that can go mad.

As stated in the other forum post, im sure theres Tenno that are not controlled by Lotus and have gone rogue/psycho/infested and im pretty sure the secrets that lie in the frames noone should discover. Would make sense to get missions to get rid of them because if that stuff falls in the wrong hands the Tenno/Lotus would be in some big trouble.

Its kinda like a secret super agent organization, the less the enemy knows about you the better.

Logical points -

1. Politics aren't an issue here, because the Tenno are being hunted by everyone it's not like rogue tenno are going to cause an "incident" or whatever.

Yeah, I'm not really certain how well the political intrigue idea would play into it but I do think that insane tenno would be a huge liability (your other issues aside).That does create interest for the story.

2. The Tenno are few in numbers (*cough* last earthlings *cough* =D). If there ships with lots of derp Tenno then we're not few in numbers. I know you said "a few boss fights" [in shorthand], but even with just a few per ship, you've either got;

A - a really boring level with 4-5 enemies in it or

B - a lot of levels with a few evil dudes which adds up to a lot of evil dudes.

Point taken. I hadn't thought of that. Grineer are the last earthlings though.

3 - Teamwork shouldn't rely on a specific enemy being in the game. Levels and enemies should be challenging enough that teamwork is necessary all the time. There are more interesting ways to generate teamwork and make it enjoyable as well, such as crossframe power combos (there's been a few threads suggesting this).

I don't think that teamwork should rely on a specific enemy either. Ancients and other elites kind of fill that role already. I'm sure that DE is going to work on the bosses but as it stands right now there is no enemy in the game more interesting than evil tenno with a full set of tenno powers.

Not so logical points -

4 - We only just woke up from cryosleep, we're ancient warriors from 1000's of yrs ago. If we were going to go insane we would have long ago.

From a story standpoint, this point is your best, IF all tenno have been asleep and were just woken up. If there were a malfunction and some of them have been floating around in space with nothing to do for a few years though, it is plausible.

5 - I just find the idea of an insane Tenno wrong. Stand your warframe still and look at it. That's not the look of something that can go mad.

We can disagree on that.

Thank you, that was exactly the kind of feedback I wanted.

As stated in the other forum post, im sure theres Tenno that are not controlled by Lotus and have gone rogue/psycho/infested and im pretty sure the secrets that lie in the frames noone should discover. Would make sense to get missions to get rid of them because if that stuff falls in the wrong hands the Tenno/Lotus would be in some big trouble.

Its kinda like a secret super agent organization, the less the enemy knows about you the better.

Good point. There's certainly a lot of other ways implement rogue tenno. I think we already have a few missions to take back orokin technology and prevent it from being recovered. It seems like a natural evolution of that idea to take down rogue tenno (insane or not). What if corpus captures tenno and begins experimenting on them? Mercy kill?

Edited by Zonzai

Just had to pick on one point:

Grineer are the last earthlings though.

Grineer are an interplanetary civilization that hold the most territory in the Sol system. Their government is that of an empire with a council of advisers designed to help run it. - Official Site, Councillor Van Dek

It doesn't say they aren't, but doesn't say they are either.