Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What does railjack add to core game?

mrbubblepants

I haven't played much railjack, Im having trouble getting behind the purpose so to speak. What can I gain from RJ that adds to the core game? Are there mods, weapons or mats i could use elsewhere? It just feels disconnected and compartmentalized similar to archwing,  where everything gained or experienced is useless in any other part of the game. its a great add on dont get me wrong but thats the issue i have is that its an add on not an organic growth of the main content. Maybe im wrong or that organic part just isnt here yet. Maybe i just fell victim to the hype train. But at this point i just camt find a reason to hammer away at it. 

• Like 1

I feel like the idea is that the rest of the game is supposed to feed into Empyrean, with it being the primary focus going forward.

For example - Archwing is much less compartmentalised because it's a part of Empyrean. What you do in Archwing feeds into Empyrean.

• Like 1

Well, I watched some videos about the early days of Warframe, and from the impression I got from listening to their original vision, i.e. "space ninjas raiding spaceships," I get the sense that Railjack IS the new core game; what DE always wanted to make, but couldn't until now.

Or rather, will be. We know there will be at least two expansions (Corpus and Infested) to Railjack after the third phase, and word is The New War will incorporate it as well. In time, it's likely it will replace the Star Chart altogether, but that is a mammoth undertaking.

Edited by KnossosTNC
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, mrbubblepants said:

It just feels disconnected and compartmentalized similar to archwing

The devs have mentioned that integrations into the rest of the game are in the works, but that's about all we got right now. Empyrean is more-or-less its own separate game, with your standard progression feeding into its effectiveness (for when you're using the Tenno and aren't in a cockpit). 

1 hour ago, Megalomaniakaal said:

Right now? Potential.

The same potential we saw in 2018. Potential isn't going to improve the health of the game. If anything, I would argue there has been a decrease in the game's health with The Old Blood and now Empyrean. They added randomized stats on Railjack mods despite plenty, and I mean plenty of Riven Mod and Lich feedback. There is an undocumented and severe nerf to Arch-Guns across the board in space, a nerf to Itzal, the complete removal of some Arch-Guns being hit-scan in space, and the range of projectile Arch-Guns was reduced in space. Liches are still a mess too. We are stuck in 2016 with the War Within situation, and DE still does the classic "released half baked content and dishonor player time investment later by reducing required gameplay" loop.

DE is completely disconnected from how the game actually plays. Quellor is a good example:

• 4 second reload
  • Low fire rate
  • The charge shot falloff is almost as bad as Euphona Prime's shotgun alt fire
  • Charge shot is base Cold and Impact (2 neglected and terrible damage types)
  • Loses out to Battacor in the "auto but also charge" category yet has a higher MR lock...
  • Mastery Rank requirement is 12 despite stats being quite bad

I have played Empyrean for a handful of missions. I have had matchmaking issues like no tomorrow. Why does it ship like this? Why did we wait since 2018 for a barely functional game mode that is pure eye candy? There are loads of upgrades, but these resource sinks and time sinks don't really offer much. Just playing generic Exterminate/Sabotage while protecting your personal Excavator Railjacked is only fun for so long...

DE needs something akin to Operation: Health from Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege. It is absolutely astounding how bad Archwing is, how horrendous old modes are (hello Defection), how overlooked some drops are (hello Blazing Step Ephemera from ESO with a 1.01% chance on rotation C), and just how neglected the base and core of Warframe is. The last few months for me have clearly shown the disconnection DE has with gameplay, and their lack of nominations at the Game Awards this year proves this.

To address OP: Empyrean actually retracts from the core of the game as it has negatively affected atmospheric Archwing mode. 

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

I feel like the idea is that the rest of the game is supposed to feed into Empyrean, with it being the primary focus going forward.

For example - Archwing is much less compartmentalised because it's a part of Empyrean. What you do in Archwing feeds into Empyrean.

Not really. If that were the case, you'd be able to get Empyrean resources in Archwing. That would allow Archwing to feed into Empyrean.

23 minutes ago, schilds said:

At the moment it's an island of content. Hopefully they follow through on the whole "connection" thing.

Unfortunately, I am not that hopeful. Considering how DE have been releasing new modes only to completely forget about them a few weeks later doesn't give me much hope. 
I can see Empyrean remaining a completely imbalanced, grindy and buggy mess for months to come. If anything, DE will try to reduce some of the resource required, fixes some major bugs (and there are lots of them) and maybe add Liches to it, after everybody forgets they even exist. Just look at the Old Blood and how much of the concerns aren't getting addressed. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aldain said:

Then consider me a pressure cooker.

After the Lich debacle I am on high alert for DE shenanigans.

TBH, given what they said, I kind of get the feeling Old Blood was some kind of Empyrean phase 0.5. If memory serves, they said they just disconnected it from Empyrean for bugfixing/prevention reasons.

I'm still pretty disappointed. Hoping it gets re-integrated at some point, Liches need far more life in them.

1 hour ago, Megalomaniakaal said:

Right now? Potential.

In the future? Exploration and immersion.

Words can't describe how much I love the fact that there are no loading screens. Loading still happens, obviously, but it kinda happens outside the ship. You stay in control of your character, and I find that helps my immersion a lot. You can just string missions together one after another without ever seeing an actual loading screen, going in and out of your railjack, archwing, and enemy ships seamlessly. It's very impressive compared to the old-school way the rest of the game works. Sparse in terms of content and with bad balance, but like you say, the potential is great.

• Like 1

To the core game? No idea. Empyrean calls into question what the core game actually is. I think it's neat, it's an absolutely bizarre departure from Warframe's typical structure. 

Like, departure to the point that I wonder how it came to be, and how many people said "you're joking, right?" about the idea when it first was proposed.

Edited by Ham_Grenabe
  • Like 3