Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee 3.0 Made Exalted Melee Weapons Obsolete

Flex238

With the introduction of melee 3.0, melee weapons have become really powerful, so much so, that they now do way more damage then exalted weapons could ever hope to achieve. Why is this? Exalted Weapons can't use Acolyte mods. Mods like Blood Rush and Weeping Wounds turn regular melee weapons into monsters. With this new meta, some of my favorite frames, like Wukong and Valkyr have fallen to the way side, because their exalted abilities just aren't as useful as they once were. So what do I propose? Allow the use of Acolyte mods in Exalted weapon builds.

*Also allow the use of Amalgam Mods in Exalted weapon builds.

Edited by Flex238
  • Like 8

I have to disagree. I have actually stopped using blood rush on a lot of my gear and Valkyr's Talons can hit an absurd crit chance now. Absurd for Hysteria, of course. It still hits harder than all of my other weapons with no need to build up combo. Landing those red crits with a heavy attack in Hysteria is so sweet

I've said for years that Exalted weapons were overrated and easily at risk of being made unnecessary by any meta flavor of the month weapon. 

That will always be true as long as the only thing they bring to the table is another weapon slot. Valkyr gains invulnerability and life steal with hers which makes the pressure of the weapon aspect far lower at least since it isn't exclusively a damage tool with a subpar gimmick. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Flex238 said:

With the introduction of melee 3.0, melee weapons have become really powerful, so much so, that they now do way more damage then exalted weapons could ever hope to achieve. Why is this? Exalted Weapons can't use Acolyte mods. Mods like Blood Rush and Weeping Wounds turn regular melee weapons into monsters. With this new meta, some of my favorite frames, like Wukong and Valkyr have fallen to the way side, because their exalted abilities just aren't as useful as they once were. So what do I propose? Allow the use of Acolyte mods in Exalted weapon builds.

*Also allow the use of Amalgam Mods in Exalted weapon builds.

Your feeling is right but You missed the memo. What made them obsolete was almost all weapons received a 3 times increase to their base damage and the exalted weapons were left out.

Regardless I always tought almost all exlted weapons were a DPS spread sheet away from being irrelevant due to new melee weapon, that finally happened. They need to be reworled on a way the make them more future proof.

Edited by keikogi
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Kurokoz said:

I have to disagree. I have actually stopped using blood rush on a lot of my gear and Valkyr's Talons can hit an absurd crit chance now. Absurd for Hysteria, of course. It still hits harder than all of my other weapons with no need to build up combo. Landing those red crits with a heavy attack in Hysteria is so sweet

Of course Hysteria (and Serene Storm) is going to do well, since heavy attacks have colossal crit scaling. But that's honestly emblematic of the problem, too; only half of the exalted weapons can come even close to standard melee weapons anymore, and only with a heavy attack build. Light attack builds aren't even remotely on the same level (unless you resort to some Gladiator set gimmicks with the Helios, but regular melee can do that, too).

Like the fact that 50% base crit Is ludicrous on a heavy attack build does not excuse the problems that exalted weapons as a class have right now. 

7 hours ago, keikogi said:

What made them obsolete was almost all weapons received a 3 times increase to their base damage and the exalted weapons were left out.

I mean. The mods are a pretty significant factor here, and the base damage is sorta possible to work with since it scales with strength mods. Serene Storm isn't bad at light attack builds because it lacks base damage. I have it doing well over 700 base damage. The problem is that it can't build up crit or status to a level competitive with regular melee. 

7 hours ago, keikogi said:

Regardless I always tought almost all exlted weapons were a DPS spread sheet away from being irrelevant due to new melee weapon, that finally happened. 

It would help if they at least functioned consistently with other melee weapons. 

Like honestly my biggest argument in favor of letting these abilities use Acolyte mods is that it's unintuitive and needlessly hard to balance if you have one class of melee weapons that can use them, while the other class--which is implicitly supposed to be stronger--cannot. 

1 hour ago, Gurpgork said:

I mean. The mods are a pretty significant factor here, and the base damage is sorta possible to work with since it scales with strength mods. Serene Storm isn't bad at light attack builds because it lacks base damage. I have it doing well over 700 base damage. The problem is that it can't build up crit or status to a level competitive with regular melee. 

I'm not saying they are irrelevant , I'm just saying they aren't the Straw that broke the camel's back. These weapons were quite good without these mods before so stands to reason that they can work with out them. Also a few exalted weapons can't benefit from them on mechanical stand point. Serene storm knock the targets down and back so you literally can't stack the combo counter because the waves don't generete combo. 

9 hours ago, Gurpgork said:

would help if they at least functioned consistently with other melee weapons. 

I find this exception as backwards , never said that the must not ne able to use them. I've said that is not the cause of OP problems.

9 hours ago, Gurpgork said:

Of course Hysteria (and Serene Storm) is going to do well, since heavy attacks have colossal crit scaling. But that's honestly emblematic of the problem, too; only half of the exalted weapons can come even close to standard melee weapons anymore, and only with a heavy attack build.

I think the fact the we have such nonsense is emblematic of DE not writing down their guidelines and mistakes. Melee 3.0 just brought back melee 1.0 heavy attack spaning. Id like the forgot why they removed charge attacks on the first place ( slow paced melee playstyle combined extremely repetive gameplay loop ). Instead of fixing the basic problem of charge attacks ( they did not deal enought damage on a big enought radius for their combo cost ) they just gave buffed crit mods on charge attacks.

1 hour ago, keikogi said:

Serene storm knock the targets down and back so you literally can't stack the combo counter because the waves don't generete combo. 

Corrupt Charge exists. The finishers of Serene Storm iirc generate plenty of combo as well, bizarrely.

29 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Corrupt Charge exists. The finishers of Serene Storm iirc generate plenty of combo as well, bizarrely.

Are you going to slipt hairs this much ?

The greater context of my discussion was bloodrush won't fix exalted weapons. I am well aware that technically Baruck can just wall 5 meters between punch so he can generete combo counter by hitting the enemies with his fist instead of the wave.

Also I'm well aware of corrupted charge but that mod is usually used for charge attack builds not light attacks builds using bloodrush.

Edited by keikogi

While mods like blood rush would help exalteds a lot. I think that an increase in base stats would be much more substantial. Also I’d like to remind everyone that ALL exalteds are stuck with a 2.0x multiplier, bump that Sh*t up to like 2.5x. And buff their base damage from 250 to around 300+. And for EB and baruuk waves, either have the waves build combo at a reduced pace or atleast have it stall combo. 

also give Excal innate lifesteal please, he’s the only exalted melee frame with no defensive tool. (CC/blind doesn’t count)

Edited by AlphaRyuuxx