Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur deluxe

carbman95

1 hour ago, kevoisvevo said:

-snip-

Baruuk is a monk. Excal Zato is inspired by non-armored samurai. There’s big differences between the two. Its not ugly, they just textured tf out of it. Which while I liked the clean look of the concept art I’m glad they went all out for this skin.

Also the skin would be completely wasted on Baruuk because nobody plays him.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

I like it, at first I didn't due to the earlier pictures spoiled on the forums, but I'd like to see this theme for other frames...just like I would with the Limbo Sentient Delux skin...c'mon we need sets of these...

Nezha's Deluxe skin is designed by the same artist, and there is a Hydroid skin by Liger on the way as well.

20 minutes ago, (PS4)Zuzu_with_a_Z said:

Have to agree.  I understand taste is subjective but I believe this is the worst skin I've ever seen in all of Warframe's history 😐 Even Ember Deluxe is better imo, and that's saying something

So you think Equinox Deluxe, Nova Deluxe, and Volt Deluxe are all better looking than Excal Zato. I find that very hard to believe.

10 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

So you think Equinox Deluxe, Nova Deluxe, and Volt Deluxe are all better looking than Excal Zato. I find that very hard to believe.

I absolutely do.  And I don't particularly like any of those skins either... but for me Excal Zato looks like a classic case of over-designing something.  There's so many weird parts of the mesh, so many things going on at once, and none of it feels cohesive.  Actually in a way it reminds me of some Final Fantasy characters - slap 40 belts and random strands of clothe on it and call it a day.  

I miss the original deluxe artist... the only deluxes I've liked since his departure were the Sentient looking ones like Titania and Limbo. (frames I don't even play 😞)

Edited by (PS4)Zuzu_with_a_Z
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Zuzu_with_a_Z said:

I miss the original deluxe artist... the only deluxes I've liked since his departure were the Sentient looking ones like Titania and Limbo. (frames I don't even play 😞)

You mean the guy who through a hissy fit when DE wanted to add a head blade to their Ember Deluxe concept, and they had to cut ties with because they were being uncooperative.

I agree that Excal Zato is over designed, but I love over excessive design, and he’s the poster boy, of course the skins going to be balls to the wall insane.

Also funny enough as over designed as it is, it won’t block field of view in game play because the right shoulder is completely bare.

• Like 2

Just now, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

You mean the guy who through a hissy fit when DE wanted to add a head blade to their Ember Deluxe concept, and they had to cut ties with because they were being uncooperative.

I agree that Excal Zato is over designed, but I love over excessive design, and he’s the poster boy, of course the skins going to be balls to the wall insane.

Also funny enough as over designed as it is, it won’t block field of view in game play because the right shoulder is completely bare.

Yeah that guy.  He did clash with the rest of the art team over them not using his Ember Deluxe though, or rather tweaking it too much (I've never even heard the excal headblade thing).  

Sad thing is, as "uncooperative" as he may have been - he was probably right, because like at the crappy skin we got for Ember instead that virtually nobody likes.  It's almost like he actually knew what people would want and was going head to head with people who were out of touch.  

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Zuzu_with_a_Z said:

Yeah that guy.  He did clash with the rest of the art team over them not using his Ember Deluxe though, or rather tweaking it too much (I've never even heard the excal headblade thing).  

Sad thing is, as "uncooperative" as he may have been - he was probably right, because like at the crappy skin we got for Ember instead that virtually nobody likes.  It's almost like he actually knew what people would want and was going head to head with people who were out of touch.  

Hey it’s not DE fault that they had to cut ties with the guy. And honestly their tweaks to the concept art made it look better.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Hey it’s not DE fault that they had to cut ties with the guy. And honestly their tweaks to the concept art made it look better.

And we shouldn't fault artist for standing by their work, if he didn't like how they altered his design (a design that would have his named tied to it and represent his quality of work) then he's free to take his stand. I'd also agree to disagree about the tweaks making anything on the design look better, the weird head blade felt particularly forced and out of place for that matter. 

Edited by Cubewano
  • Like 15

11 minutes ago, (PS4)Zuzu_with_a_Z said:

Man I love IgnusDei's designs. I love Liger too, but IgnusDeis stuff could fit into warframes "aesthetic" more IMO.

For Excalibur Zato, for example, I tend to like my fashion frame to fit the world's aesthetic, and I can only bring myself to rock the Zato skin in plains/cetus because of the Hunter gatherer look it has to it. Call me picky, but Ligers stuff tends to be eye candy, but out of place eye candy. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

And we shouldn't fault artist by standing by their work, if he didn't like how they altered his design (a design would have his named tied to it and represent his quality of work) then he's free to take his stand. I'd also agree to disagree about the tweaks making anything on the design look better, the weird head blade felt particularly forced and out of place for that matter. 

I’d agree with the “standing by their work” if it wasn’t concept art for a video game. Something that’s completely subject to change and alterations by the people who actually make the game. If the artist had an issue with the head blade and the bleed over of some of the charred skin over the stomach then they should’ve found a compromise instead of refusing everything. Also that head blade was honestly kind of needed to help the helmet standout more from Trin Deluxe because the artist clearly liked that helmet design with the 3 lights

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Hard disagree and I would have been peeved too.

I understand in a professional situation its not okay to snap at coworkers, even in defense of your own works - but I can't see how any of the changes were improvements.  They basically rounded out the sharp aesthetic that fit perfectly with fire to begin with.  And that weird hip things they added?  Nah I think (personally) he had it right, they definitely were messing his art up for the worst.

Edited by (PS4)Zuzu_with_a_Z
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, (PS4)Zuzu_with_a_Z said:

Hard disagree and I would have been peeved too.

I understand in a professional situation its not okay to snap at coworkers, even in defense of your own works - but I can't see how any of the changes were improvements.  They basically rounded out the sharp aesthetic that fit perfectly with fire to begin with.  And that weird hip things they added?  Nah I think (personally) he had it right, they definitely were messing his art up for the worst.

Funny enough I never noticed the changes made to the elbows. But if the artist had a problem with the alterations then they should’ve asked for a compromise. Maybe ask for different head blades.

I’ve seen alterations and additions made to Ligers skins and they’ve had no problem with it. So unless DE were being jerks and not willing to communicate on the skin then this skin not being added and is getting the vermillion skin is strictly on the artist.

Also, let’s face it. Changes or not you would’ve bought the skin regardless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kevoisvevo said:

The deluxe doesn't fit Excalibur's theme at all. Would have been better on baruuk

That's something I've been saying since as early as its July 10th announcement. My thread was met with mockery and "anything goes" replies because I felt recent deluxe skins did not fit their target frames in any way. I also think the Limbo deluxe should have been given to Revenant, Harrow to Limbo, the original Ivara (Prior to revision) to Equiniox, and the new Ash to either Inaros or Nekros.

3 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Baruuk is a monk. Excal Zato is inspired by non-armored samurai. There’s big differences between the two.

Excalibur is a Ninja though, not a Samurai. And even then, here's the official description for the skin:  He who has nothing to lose is truly free. This skin for Excalibur embodies the nomadic, unbowed spirit of those who call every world home.

And here's my perception on the theme the skin was going for hours before the official description was made public:

On 2019-12-12 at 2:35 PM, Jarriaga said:

And as for this Excalibur skin, I actually like it, but I can't see Excalibur in there. At all. It has this "I'm just passing by; don't mess with me or you'll regret it" aura that, coupled with the side robe, makes me think of this guy here instead of Excalibur:

latest?cb=20190710105904

So even before it was made official, the design intent was rather clear with regards to what the artist was going for as I could easily recognize the "traveler" motif. It just doesn't fit Excalibur as much as it does Baruuk because monks tend to be nomads both historically and in actuality. If Excalibur was a Samurai rather than a Ninja, then sure. But as it stands, I feel that the skin is misplaced because otherwise you have a total theme swap from Ninja to Samurai in order to make that skin work on Excalibur. 

3 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Also the skin would be completely wasted on Baruuk because nobody plays him.

That has absolutely nothing to do with themes though. A frame's popularity does not correlate to quality or execution. Otherwise, Atlas Karst would not exist. Atlas is so unpopular that his Prime access will not even last 2 and a half months. There's also Nyx Pasithea with Nyx being shown to be the actual least used WF.

Edited by Jarriaga
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jarriaga said:

Excalibur is a Ninja though, not a Samurai. And even then, here's the official description for the skin:  He who has nothing to lose is truly free. This skin for Excalibur embodies the nomadic, unbowed spirit of those who call every world home.

That has absolutely nothing to do with themes though. A frame's popularity does not correlate to quality or execution. Otherwise, Atlas Karst would not exist. Atlas is so unpopular that his Prime access will not even last 2 and a half months. There's also Nyx Pasithea with Nyx being shown to be the actual least used WF.

Every frame is a ninja, but if you want to get specific Ash is the truest ninja. Excalibur is a swordsman. Samurai use swords. You’re also using the description like it’s some defining point, when it’s just throw away flavor text.

And there’s also nothing wrong with a frames Deluxe going in a completely different direction than the frames theme. The reason Limbo Deluxe is sentient themed was for the people who like to play Limbo, but hate his tuxedo design as it clashes with the rest of the games aesthetic.

Would you believe me if I told you Baruuk probably gets more hate than Nyx and Atlas combined. He doesn’t deserve a lot of it but he does get it.

The Zato skin fits Excalibur. You’re either insane or missing a few brain cells to think otherwise.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Every frame is a ninja, but if you want to get specific Ash is the truest ninja. Excalibur is a swordsman. Samurai use swords. You’re also using the description like it’s some defining point, when it’s just throw away flavor text.

And there’s also nothing wrong with a frames Deluxe going in a completely different direction than the frames theme. The reason Limbo Deluxe is sentient themed was for the people who like to play Limbo, but hate his tuxedo design as it clashes with the rest of the games aesthetic.

Would you believe me if I told you Baruuk probably gets more hate than Nyx and Atlas combined. He doesn’t deserve a lot of it but he does get it.

The Zato skin fits Excalibur. You’re either insane or missing a few brain cells to think otherwise.

Honestly, give baruuk a straw hat alt helmet and I'd play him more. His design and even description screams "sensei/reluctant master" and I think it'd fit well. 

14 minutes ago, Draymarc said:

Honestly, give baruuk a straw hat alt helmet and I'd play him more. His design and even description screams "sensei/reluctant master" and I think it'd fit well. 

He’s a reluctant warrior. The way DE described him was someone with immense power but refused to go all out. You can see how he became so disappointing when Serene Storm, the ability that’s supposed to be him going all out, was the worst exalted melee (second best now, tho only be default).

Edited by (XB1)GearsMatrix301

11 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

The description is a point of reference with regards to intent, and since I was able to pick up on it before it was released, I'd say it's a rather practical and apt description. If nomadic traveler was the concept, then giving this skin to Excalibur rather than Baruuk makes as much sense as giving it to Gauss, because neither one of them are nomadic in base theme and design. Being a "swordsman" is not enough on its own with regards to a theme for the exact same reason you say every frame is a ninja. You can't go left and right at the same time.

13 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

And there’s also nothing wrong with a frames Deluxe going in a completely different direction than the frames theme.

That's your opinion. My opinion is, in order for each frame to remain as unique as possible, they should not overlap aesthetically in any thematic way even as alternative interpretations.

You can have different takes on the Ninja motif. You can have different takes on the Samurai motif as long as they remain identifiable at a base. But the moment you cross or swap themes, you're overlapping and in turn hurting the actual frame already using said motif.

17 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

The reason Limbo Deluxe is sentient themed was for the people who like to play Limbo, but hate his tuxedo design as it clashes with the rest of the games aesthetic.

How does that relate to making it Sentient-themed? How does "enjoying Limbo but hating the suit" translate to Sentient above any other theme? Why not an otherworldly, ethereal theme that makes reference to moving across planes of existence? Why not this instead?

EAqV7FxU8AABqfi?format=jpg&name=large

That would have addressed your "enjoying Limbo but not liking the suit" problem without hurting Revenant's theme in the process. 

Oh, by the way, care to point out how Limbo's tuxedo clashes with the game's aesthetic, but Excalibur Deluxe with a straight robe made of cloth does not? Here, I'll link the official design guideline for Warframe artists:

"IMPORTANT NOTE: Literal clothing and hoods on Warframes is best avoided. Focus on abstraction, look at Mesa and Hydroid Prime for examples of how to approach this."

27 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Misplaced hate directed at him over his acquisition method is moving the goalpost with regards to what I highlighted. Mirage, Equinox, Gara, Garuda and Ivara would have gotten their skins before Atlas if popularity was involved in any way, shape or form.

30 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

I see you have resorted to personal attacks and attempting to invalidate my opinion over your own lack of arguments. I'm done here. You may have the last word if you may.

• Like 7