Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

It's time for a rethink on the platinum system

(XBOX)AngelsWrath

Now that warframe is quite successful I feel like it's time for a rethink on the way platinum works. The amount of platinum you get for buying packs.. I'll just use prime access as an example $80 and you get 2,625 platinum at a discount. Now if we turn around and see what we can get with this it just seems really bad. A new frame i.e. grendel is 325 platinum.  A new weapon i.e. Acceltra is 240 ... and if we look at a new bundel.i.e kuva lich hunter collection 835... these are grossly unfair in price .I believe it's time to reevaluate the price of items in the marketplace. 

Edited by (XB1)XGN AngelsWrath
Had to place punctuation

I don't think using prime access as a benchmark is a good idea. If you need plat just wait for 75% off and you can buy over 4k for 50$ or trade with other players. Prices for weapons/warframes/cosmetics are as they always used to be. Probably because we can craft almost everything except cosmetics without spending plat. I know it's always better to have more for less, but lets be serious, everything have got its price. I think the problem is not that the prices are high, but instead obtaining almost every new content becomes a serious pain in the ass. Looks like DE tries to follow in EA or Activision's footsteps. Also S#&$ like kuva lich hunter collection which locks pretty cool armor set (worth maybe 200-250plat) behind over 800plat paywall, or railjack repair drones that allow to bypass completely broken economy of this game mod does not help at all.

• Like 1

hmm ok ill hear u out on this. i DO think that platinum rates need to be upped for prices were paying in terms of what it actually costs the player.new weapons and all of the latest warframes have been sitting at 275-325 for a while now. i only point this out becuase i thought it was at random ill continue though. i mean just buying color palettes cost u a good 75 plat, smallest bundle u can buy is 75 plat, runs u about 5 dollars per. this alone i wouldnt think twice about but....theres like 22 color swatches in total atm. while yes i recall DE Rebecca mentioned they 'might' do away with those and just give us a color wheel overall, but we know how DE is with their word. on top of that, coupons cant be used on Bundles still, along with the fact that we cant use coupons on Tennogen(which doesnt seem that bad, specially if ur like Faven) and that leaves u with alot of purchases u want to make, with the lowest amount of platinum being 75. instead of something like 100. for a free-to-play game every dollar counts. i think at least 1 of these things could be addressed going in to next year, it wouldnt hurt too much to try it. 

why would you spend so much platinum on items you can get in game for free?

for example, if i have so much platinum, i either buy a nice skin, a booster, a few weapon/warframe slots and some vaulted primed warframes.

2,625 plat can get me a 30 day booster of my choice, leaving me with 2,425. and thats only if i dont feel like farming so much.

say that i feel like getting the latest zato deluxe bundle. that would leave me with 2,170 plat left.

then i get one warframe slot and two weapon slots, leaving me with 2,130 platinum. this is only if i need the slots in the first place.

i now have more items that will help me long term that you cannot usually get in game so easily or at all. even with 2,130 plat, i'd still pay for the same things. mostly cosmetics and sometimes vaulted prime warframes.

if you are paying for a whole warframe, you are paying for the warframe and skipping all of the build times and farming required to build it. rushing an entire warframe's build time alone costs 125 plat, for example. the developers have the freedom to set the price for convenience (which refers to the amount of time you've saved). not to mention the warframe/weapon comes with its own slot and an Orokin reactor/catalyst already installed.

taking this into account, i'd say that the price is reasonable. this is why people sell an entire primed warframe set for less then 200 plat, because you yourself still have to collect the resources and wait for the build time.

Edited by MysticDragonMage

Warframe's economy is based primarily on whales who will buy everything regardless of price, so there's little benefit for them to lowering prices.

Yeah, it would cost thousands of dollars to get everything in the game, but there are enough people who are willing to pay those thousands of dollars for it to not be an issue for DE.

Why? You're not SUPPOSED to just buy frames/weapons/etc off the market, you're supposed to get them in game by actually playing. DE gives players the choice to throw away money if they really care about it, but a lot of the stuff that skips gameplay or speeds up gameplay is just grossly overpriced, and there's no reason to think this isn't totally intentional. By contrast, things that you spend plat on that actually -contribute- to gameplay (like boosters) are fairly reasonable, since they encourage you to play more, rather than play less. 

Edited by 0Midas0

8 hours ago, 0Midas0 said:

Why? You're not SUPPOSED to just buy frames/weapons/etc off the market, you're supposed to get them in game by actually playing.

In theory, yes. In practice, DE have a habit of making Warframe unlocks deliberately frustrating specifically to "incentivise" buying said Warframes from the Market. Look at the likes of Equinox and Khora, look at Equinox and Nidus. Most recently, now that DE have become particularly money-hungry, look at Grendel. Three high-level missions run without mods of any kind, like they were absolutely not supposed to be run, AFTER you've already gotten a bunch of resources from Arbitrations. Yes, it's doable but it's also deliberately frustrating enough to get that buying Grendel becomes more appealing.

Every Live Service which sells you the ability to skip gameplay has the incentive to deliberately make that gameplay not fun as a means of pushing you into paying to skip it. Most of them take that incentive and do just that. DE definitely have in pretty much every aspect of Railjack so far, ESPECIALLY when repairing Wreckage. Well, you could either dump a MASSIVE amount of this resources you don't have a lot of and need for 11 other times and then wait 12 hours... Or you can pay 50 Plat and just have it, right now. Hell, look at lenses. Grind bounties a lot to get four of the same type of lens, build them slowly, then buy an overpriced Greater lens blueprint, build that slowly, then grind more bounties for an Eidolon lens, then build that slowly... Or just plonk down 80 Plat and you can just HAVE it.

13 hours ago, SableSonata said:

Warframe's economy is based primarily on whales who will buy everything regardless of price, so there's little benefit for them to lowering prices.

That, realistically speaking, is the problem. For all the chest-beating talk about how Warframe is DA BEST F2P EVAA, it really is built around whales overspending to skip the deliberately boring parts of the game. Speaking as someone who routinely overpays for crap I could earn - like Catalysts, Reactors, Forma, Exilus, Lenses, etc. - that's exactly where my ~€450's worth of platinum has gone over the last year or so. I don't fancy wasting my time with massive unrewarding grinds, so I buy a lot of the smaller things and that adds up REALLY quickly. Even if I don't overspend on expensive scams like buying Warframes, all that forma adds up. I'm not really complaining - the game has historically been worth that. DE, however, seem to disagree because they're constantly contriving new ways to pull EVEN MORE Plat from me.

At some point, it stops being "fair" and starts to feel like I'm being taken advantage of.

On 2019-12-15 at 7:23 PM, Zeratai said:

I don't think using prime access as a benchmark is a good idea. If you need plat just wait for 75% off and you can buy over 4k for 50$ or trade with other players. Prices for weapons/warframes/cosmetics are as they always used to be. Probably because we can craft almost everything except cosmetics without spending plat. I know it's always better to have more for less, but lets be serious, everything have got its price. I think the problem is not that the prices are high, but instead obtaining almost every new content becomes a serious pain in the ass. Looks like DE tries to follow in EA or Activision's footsteps. Also S#&$ like kuva lich hunter collection which locks pretty cool armor set (worth maybe 200-250plat) behind over 800plat paywall, or railjack repair drones that allow to bypass completely broken economy of this game mod does not help at all.

What about people who play on console? They can't use the 75% off for platinum or bundles, just a singular item.

4 hours ago, Zeratai said:

There are no discounts on consoles as a login reward? damn, that sucks. 

Yeah, I thought that console players got the same discounts as us until it came up in conversation. Turns out you can only use the discounts for things like warframes, weapons, a skin, but no bundles. If you play on console, you have to pay full price for plat no matter the circumstance.

Warframe has been successful for some time now. They just have marketed to more people by upping their marketing dollars and spending more on advertising for anticipation of bringing in more people from their big updates like POE, Orb of Vallis and now Empyrean. On console we only get periodic Live or PSN  sales for platinum on the actual store. No actual platinum discounts from a login reward. We only get the ticket discounts from login for Warframe market store items and non bundles. 

On 2019-12-18 at 5:53 AM, Steel_Rook said:

In theory, yes. In practice, DE have a habit of making Warframe unlocks deliberately frustrating specifically to "incentivise" buying said Warframes from the Market. Look at the likes of Equinox and Khora, look at Equinox and Nidus. Most recently, now that DE have become particularly money-hungry, look at Grendel. Three high-level missions run without mods of any kind, like they were absolutely not supposed to be run, AFTER you've already gotten a bunch of resources from Arbitrations. Yes, it's doable but it's also deliberately frustrating enough to get that buying Grendel becomes more appealing.

Every Live Service which sells you the ability to skip gameplay has the incentive to deliberately make that gameplay not fun as a means of pushing you into paying to skip it. Most of them take that incentive and do just that. DE definitely have in pretty much every aspect of Railjack so far, ESPECIALLY when repairing Wreckage. Well, you could either dump a MASSIVE amount of this resources you don't have a lot of and need for 11 other times and then wait 12 hours... Or you can pay 50 Plat and just have it, right now. Hell, look at lenses. Grind bounties a lot to get four of the same type of lens, build them slowly, then buy an overpriced Greater lens blueprint, build that slowly, then grind more bounties for an Eidolon lens, then build that slowly... Or just plonk down 80 Plat and you can just HAVE it.

I suppose part of this is from the perspective of a player who only started half a year ago, but the vast vast majority of the game's content does not feel like it strongly incentivises buying plat over just playing the game. Maybe there's a trend in recent releases, but I haven't felt it for railjack stuff specifically. Having to wait 1-3 days for new stuff is just normal for warframe. I wouldn't put any of the oxium or cryotic-based weapons as being much worse than railjack wreckage. 

I think plat is fine where it is.

They just need to really offer more than they do for Prime Access, or else charge less for it.

For example... $50 for two cosmetic accessories (and the boosters). That's practically a full game on Steam!
$140 for the recently-released Prime and its weapons, plus the accessories, 2 glyphs and... a buttload of plat. Think of what else you could get for that money, and what they offer for it in Prime Access.

Consider that it doesn't cost them money to hand these over. They don't need to manufacture more before it's placed in your inventory. The content is there, in the game, completely functional, and all they have to do is unlock it, which is really an automated process.
Not saying it doesn't cost money to pay the people in the studio, nor that their work isn't worth paying for, just... it's weird to price in-game cosmetics so high.

This means, somewhere at DE, they decided they would make the most money out of Prime Access at this price point, rather than making it available to more players by having lower pricing.

Edited by DrakeWurrum