The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Calling it now: Archwing will be nerfed and become useless in Empyrean

Zahnrad

5 hours ago, Zahnny said:

It'll be there so DE can say it exists as an option

I really hate how alibistic DE is with stuff like this. Another example being the drop tables. I remember seeing some video, may have been an interview with Mogamu, in which Steve bragged about how player-friendly publishing the complete drop table was and how they were the first company to do that or something. Like, yeah, except they did it on some website with an insane gibberish URL that is impossible to remember or type into the in-game chat and didn't tell anyone about it, ensuring that only a tiny fraction of the player base would know it exists. The purpose wasn't to inform the player base, if they wanted to do that they'd have put it into the in-game Codex, the purpose was to be able to say the drop rates are public while keeping them hidden from the vast majority of players.

Edit: The insane gibberish URL in questioin: https://n8k6e2y6.ssl.hwcdn.net/repos/hnfvc0o3jnfvc873njb03enrf56.html

Edited by SordidDreams

4 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

This really is horrible design - where the starter equipment from a new game mode cannot get you through the very first mission, forcing you to resort to a completely different set of gear from a completely different game mode. Sure, having one aspect boost another is fine, but having one aspect completely fail to stand on its own?

Try switching out your crap apoc front gun with the pulsar they give you instead. It's hitscan and much much better than apoc. My recommendation is getting the cryophon built asap because it's by far the best weapon. It's basically the Tigris prime in space.

you know, to me it looks like the railjack should consume resources to boost archwing shields up to a RJ competitive level, yesterday a guy told me that there is already a RJ mod for that, supossedly named "winged steel", howver i cant find any information about such mod anywhere

hace 28 minutos, zakaryx dijo:

I had the fun idea of taking out my itzal into a low level earth mission to collect resources faster. Every time I hit cosmic crush I died. Even all the new intrinsics won't make the other archwings viable.

Yeah, that changes once you get to late Saturn and veil proxima. Even meta cyngas builds don't beat out MKIII/II cryo cannons on the railjack.

Does the odonata shield protect you from crew ship missiles?

1 minute ago, rockscl said:

you know, to me it looks like the railjack should consume resources to boost archwing shields up to a RJ competitive level, yesterday a guy told me that there is already a RJ mod for that, supossedly named "winged steel", howver i cant find any information about such mod anywhere

There are several winged avionics that boost archwings (both offense and defense). They don't consume resources unless you count avionic slot count and upgrading.

I would be sad if they nerfed archwings again (already did nerf the guns). This is pretty much the only time I find archwing genuinely fun rather than just a tool. That said, I'm very much a space sim fan (2000+ hours in Elite Dangerous), and I'm very good at fighting in space with 6 degrees of freedom. Larkspur seems to be the best gun for me from my selection (don't have access to the Phaedra). I'll take 100% status with cold freezing enemies in place over the imperator vandal's shot speed. 

I haven't figured out how to effectively melee in archwing though since they changed it.

hace 8 minutos, Enexemander dijo:

There are several winged avionics that boost archwings (both offense and defense). They don't consume resources unless you count avionic slot count and upgrading.

I would be sad if they nerfed archwings again (already did nerf the guns). This is pretty much the only time I find archwing genuinely fun rather than just a tool. That said, I'm very much a space sim fan (2000+ hours in Elite Dangerous), and I'm very good at fighting in space with 6 degrees of freedom. Larkspur seems to be the best gun for me from my selection (don't have access to the Phaedra). I'll take 100% status with cold freezing enemies in place over the imperator vandal's shot speed. 

I haven't figured out how to effectively melee in archwing though since they changed it.

But how much do these avionics boost archwing? because if it was enough, people wouldnt be still saying that archwings get one-shot

15 minutes ago, rockscl said:

jwQR2L6.png

I doubt these are the best version but they're as maxed as I can make them. They're all pretty awful. Winged storm is 8 capacity steel 5 force 5

16 minutes ago, zakaryx said:

jwQR2L6.png

I doubt these are the best version but they're as maxed as I can make them. They're all pretty awful. Winged storm is 8 capacity steel 5 force 5

not to mention those ranges are immensely pathetic. You'd have to be in near contact with your Railjack the entire time to maybe benefit from these.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Zahnny said:

not to mention those ranges are immensely pathetic. You'd have to be in near contact with your Railjack the entire time to maybe benefit from these.

Yup. They should just be an aura buff or have about a five kilometer range. Anything less is practically worthless for what you would be using it for. Turning my railjack into a mini carrier sounds like fun. 60 meter range is never fun.

8 hours ago, Zahnny said:

Given how punishing Empyrean is for Archwing, and Amesha is the only strong pick (which means DE will nerf it rather than strengthen other archwings because it's easier) along with already nerfing all the archguns, I get a strong feeling Archwing is going to become useless just like DE made it with the Plains of Eidolon upon release. (which I made a thread recently addressing what's still wrong with it)

It'll be there so DE can say it exists as an option, but it'll be a highly discouraged option via gameplay gimping.

Yeah most likely DE will make enemy fighters become invulnerable to archwing abilities so that we cannot cheese them with amesha slow.

Yeah thats true. Amesha slow every enemy down making them an easy target, but there is a cach, veil proxima enemies can easily kill anyone if you dont take some caution measures(4 at exiting railjack, 3 once you got some energy back, 1 so they cant hurt you for some time and finally 2 to regen that live, remember you are inmortal till your energy bar is full) think they might take the invulnerability of the 4.

Just after release, the first day, there was challenge, fun and teamplay to be had. Now that Amesha is Meta I feel like I'm flying a shiny bowl of soup that looks good while the other players in Archwing just do everything as well as I do in the RJ or even better. Amesha, in the current state, makes the RJ almost literally obsolete and this broke the entire RJ content for me when it comes to gameplay and fun.

I am looking forward to a crushing nerf regarding Amesha and general Archwing gun weapons in RJ missions in general, not gonna touch that RJ again for at least 1-2 patches to see what is changing. Challenge and fun just flew out of the window after literally 3 days once the "Meta" was established. GG.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rockscl said:

But how much do these avionics boost archwing? because if it was enough, people wouldnt be still saying that archwings get one-shot

Space combat requires a lot more awareness than general FPS gameplay (in any game). I've played with and trained enough people in Elite Dangerous to know "My archwing got one shot!" to translate directly to "I got shot in the back from a crew ship I didn't notice and ate all the missiles in the clip."

Amesha is obviously easy mode.

Odonata shield works (only in the front) for the small fighters. I believe the crew ships fire exploding missiles so you can't take that (same situation if you fire the Grattler at shielded enemies. They die.) Due to the shield, Odonata is probably your best DPS option, and survivable enough if you're good at space combat.

Itzal needs help. The invisibility locks you in place, and even blinking while invisible doesn't seem to affect the missiles coming for Itzal. It's a sad state that Archwing is in, currently.

Larkspur with 100% status (Radiation primary, cold secondary) is my best performer. It doesn't have the raw dps as Imperator Vandal, but it stops enemies in their tracks as soon as the cold procs, and it's very easy to aim.

Edited by Enexemander

17 hours ago, Zahnny said:

Given how punishing Empyrean is for Archwing, and Amesha is the only strong pick (which means DE will nerf it rather than strengthen other archwings because it's easier) along with already nerfing all the archguns, I get a strong feeling Archwing is going to become useless just like DE made it with the Plains of Eidolon upon release. (which I made a thread recently addressing what's still wrong with it)

It'll be there so DE can say it exists as an option, but it'll be a highly discouraged option via gameplay gimping.

There will be no more individual archwings. DE already said the archwings will be modular and allow varying builds.

14 hours ago, DoomFruit said:

From shots which hit you directly in front (and I mean 100% directly - straight on the crosshair), yes. Kinda.

My experience with the Crewships:
Odonata with shield up dies
Itzal invisible mode dies
Elytron with tank build can tank a few hits up to saturn, then dies, halfway through saturn and up, it dies
Amesha, since it seems to be the meta right now I haven't really tried, but I would think even Amesha can't tank that

21 minutes ago, BlackVortex said:

My experience with the Crewships:
Odonata with shield up dies
Itzal invisible mode dies
Elytron with tank build can tank a few hits up to saturn, then dies, halfway through saturn and up, it dies
Amesha, since it seems to be the meta right now I haven't really tried, but I would think even Amesha can't tank that

The good side is, Amesha can tank everything after you can pop its 4. Then just spamming 2 if your energy is full.

You don't need to last longer, for you just need the time to enter the enemy crewship.

15 hours ago, Enexemander said:

This is pretty much the only time I find archwing genuinely fun rather than just a tool. That said, I'm very much a space sim fan (2000+ hours in Elite Dangerous)

My favourite part of railjack at the moment is playing interceptor in my archwing.

25 minutes ago, (XB1)Heart of Bastet said:

Why are Railjacks at base weaker than Archwings? It shouldn’t be that way

They're not. We just have pimped out archwings. Everyone's complaining now because they haven't hit endgame gear. When you hit endgame in RJ Aw is obsolete with the exception of amesha slow... cause it's op.