Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railack name and captain

DrakeWurrum

It feels like naming our Railjack is absolutely pointless. Allow me to explain.

Right now, we name it... and we see the name on the side of the ship in the Dry Dock. Cool!

But then you go out into the mission and... the name is not on the side of your ship. Uncool.
But let's take that further... our ship's name doesn't feature prominently anywhere. Anybody who joins our crew have no idea what it's named unless we tell them. At this point... every Railjack is the same. Extremely uncool.
To take it even further... they often have no idea who the captain is. Who actually owns the ship? We just have to ask in chat for now. Still uncool.

All of which adds up to completely defeating the purpose of naming and customizing our own personal ship. The game mode may as well drop us into a pre-built Railjack for us, and we just mess with armaments from our personal inventory before launch (probably a console in the engineering bay). What would change beyond losing the Dry Dock?

----

So I want to propose some improvements to the Railjack UI elements to make naming and customizing our own ship at least a bit more interesting, and I'd love to hear what else the community has to add that could make it even better.

• Obviously, the ship name needs to be on the side even in missions. Not sure how this was overlooked. Technical issues, maybe?
  • When a crew member joins your ship, a little "title card" animation should pop up on their screen during the entrance cutscene, in the same place the kuva lich thing pops up to show their name and rank after a failed mercy kill (I know, bad memories). It should show your ship's name, and underneath that it should show "Captain: <insert your name here>", and underneath that it should include the captain's clan name. This could be a feature we ship captains can customize with a choice of different title card backgrounds, and pick a glyph/decal to show by our name (also show the clan glyph by the clan name!)
  • At the end of mission screen (you know, the old mission summary), instead of just showing the four player names... above that should be a new row of text to prominently feature the ship name, the captain name, and the clan name - just as in the title card - plus the chosen glyph/decal that's used for the title card. Maybe show a basic little icon near the ship's name to indicate which Railjack skin is used.
  • I would also love to see a new dojo room, or a dojo decoration, or at least a specific data board featured prominently in the Dry Dock, dedicated to displaying the clan's ships and captains, and display various stats about them - crew ships boarded, hijacked, blasted with artillery. Galleon captains killed. Maybe when liches are tied into Railjack content, show lich-related stats. Show which gun placements the captain favors. Show what ranks their Intrinsics are at. Maybe even include names of crew members who regularly join up with them. Help stroke that player ego a bit.
  • Allow players to have a "favorites" list of ships they've been on. Okay, that may be redundant with the friends list... but it feels less intimate, less personal. I'm not sure how it could be worked in, but it would be nice if players could actively choose to return to a ship on this list when they see it preparing for a mission launch - this connects players together more!

That's just off the top of my head. I simply think the game should fully embrace that these are our own personal ships. And everything in my suggestion above is purely improvements to the UI, meaning it shouldn't take too many dev resources to include.

I ran Railjack about 3-4 hours before making this post, with several of the people following me to multiple missions, and I made sure to thank people for joining me on the Wild Wyvern (my ship, naturally), if only because I am trying my damnedest to actually enjoy having my own ship and see if it helps create memorable experiences, (and maybe I could finally make some friends...).

----

I also wanted to touch a little on the actual name options. We get no ability to customize the lettering. I know this is such a minor aspect of naming our ship compared to above, but I still want to give my 2 bits.

I'm not going to ask for something completely asinine, but I feel like we should get to play with the lettering a little bit. So, my suggestions for changing up the lettering of the ship's name:

• Allow us two rows instead of just one. As an example, this would allow me to have "C.C." on the first row (abbreviation of my clan name, Chimera Company), and then my actual ship name on the second row. Or I could just have Wild Wyvern on two separate lines. Or I could get more creative with the naming - Have Tenno Starship on the first line, and Wild Wyvern on the second. You get the idea.
  • Let us choose from a couple of fonts. You know... anywhere from 3 to 6 would be nice. Maybe even allow a different font on each line.
  • Let us outline or shadow the font. This can improve readability and the aesthetic of the name, and allows more freedom of color choice. (Toss in variable levels of thickness to it)
  • Let us specifically color the font separate from the rest of the ship. Don't tie this to Tertiary. In fact, let us also color the outline or shadow separate from the main font color. This seems to have been hotfixed in.

I know that out of all the things that Railjack needs upgraded, expanded, and outright fixed... this probably seems minor. But it's important to create these personal connections to our ship and let us simply be proud of it. It enhances the experience overall.

Edited by DrakeWurrum
  • Like 1

+1 to all your proposals. Im 100% with you.

But, about the ship name in mission, i saw several ship names when i was flying with the archwing. Sure, they are hard to see in mid-combat, but there are.

Maybe exists some bug for not showing the name sometimes... something in the line that from the inside view of the ship, u always see the default railjack skin, not the customized :P

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gaxxian said:

+1 to all your proposals. Im 100% with you.

But, about the ship name in mission, i saw several ship names when i was flying with the archwing. Sure, they are hard to see in mid-combat, but there are.

Maybe exists some bug for not showing the name sometimes... something in the line that from the inside view of the ship, u always see the default railjack skin, not the customized 😛

Admittedly, I haven't checked since Friday. Maybe since then it's been put in properly, or it was originally bugged.

53 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

But then you go out into the mission and... the name is not on the side of your ship. Uncool.

Huh? It is there too, it even stays visible when you go void cloaking. Might be a bug in your case. I've tested only in free roam though.

Edited by Xaero

hace 1 hora, Gaxxian dijo:

Then there's a bug. I wanted to take a screenshot with my ship named Cerberus but the name wasn't in any of the ship's sides. I play solo and looked everywhere, from every angle and I still couldn't see it

• 2 weeks later...
hace 4 minutos, Blaeringr dijo:

The captain is always the guy with the 1 beside his name. More emphasis would be nice, plus actually being able to lock the pilot seat or forge functions...

Thank you for supporting my proposal.@Blaeringr

Edited: an apology to OP, I thought I was responding to my other thread.

Edited by Awazx