Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe and numbers (damage)

Malavai

Ok I'm ready to get burn at a stake for saying this: Warframe should ditch numbers in damage. I don't really see how using a spreadsheet to play a game is fun for anyone. Use flat damage like in other shooters, this will make weapons more unique for how they work and shoot not how much damage they do and make people use different weapons, even bringing back some old and forgotten weapons like braton. I remember mod system in closed beta and I liked it far more than current one. Yea it had drawbacks but I feel it needed polishing not a re-do. What I want is to make most if not all weapons usable all the time. This will have far reaching effects on a game I know. If a weapon have flat damage then there is no need for enemy levels at all. This will cause redesigning of enemies.  I cant really get into specifics on my own how I see it without prompting  Please tell me your thoughts about this fellow Tenno also sorry if this post is all over the place I didn't systemized my thoughts about this as I should.

11 minutes ago, Malavai said:

like in other shooters [...] more unique

Just sayin', that's kinda contradictory.

18 minutes ago, Malavai said:

for how they work and shoot not how much damage they do and make people use different weapons

There's plenty of different weapon types in Warframe though, and differences between weapons of the same type to choose from.

A bit more balance is always something to strive for, but with Rivens for unpopular weapons being stronger and all,
that's pretty much a fix for "forgotten" weapons, right there. Not saying it's a perfect one or anything,
but e.g. my Braton Prime does still see use now and then thanks to the decent Riven I got for it.

13 minutes ago, Malavai said:

no need for enemy levels at all

TBH, it sounds like you want to play an entirely different game.

Of course Warframe has issues, it's a mess in many ways, but it's a glorious mess,
and having it change this drastically would take something special from this world.

I guess I want shooting part to be more like in Splinter Cell Blacklist if example is needed. I never felt strongly about propping difficulty by giving enemies more health and damage. It can be resolved in different way for example lets take bombard: its a heavy unit with ferrite or alloy armor make him brush off normal bullets except phosphorus round (mod for fire damage) because that armor is easy to heat. That way you have a lore and logical reason to mod a weapon with fire damage and to simply do more damage 

without numbers  elemental mods would change ammo type to combat special enemies, this will cut out tens of mods without use. Seriously numbers are pulling this game down, how many people left because they couldn't do missions beyond certain level? Personally I have a friend who stopped playing after damage 2.0 came out saying this is too convoluted and that he didn't get it at all. There is so much RNG in the game, so much to grind why make it worse by having content gated by levels, numbers and such? 

1 hour ago, Malavai said:

I don't really see how using a spreadsheet to play a game is fun for anyone.

There are in fact players who do.
Reason being, their enjoyment is from a more engineering approach:
This is a puzzle. The right answer produces the right result.

1 hour ago, Malavai said:

If a weapon have flat damage then there is no need for enemy levels at all. This will cause redesigning of enemies.

Funny you mention this.. I have imagined this backwards.
Fixing the enemy scaling, then crunching the damage numbers down at the top, and up at the bottom.
Your approach seems more in line with what DE has done with Melee which is great, to me.
I've heard this would make weapons feel too, "samey," but I think, "Either it does the killing blow numbers or doesn't," is pretty samey, too.

Mostly, it's hard to say what the right zone to bring these numbers to, is.
Some people want more casual play (like myself,) and having to try too hard in a bot looter shooter sounds like it missed the point..
some people are so turned off by casual play that it ruins the whole game for them, because not having a challenge misses the point..
because of these differences being so potentially irreconcilable, I can understand how DE's never had a clear path to take.

For challenge there are nightmare mode missions, sorties with their special rules that sort of thing should make it challenging not making enemies with more health. I;m not saying lets make arma out of warframe but making it more real and organic will make it much more immersive than it is now. In closed beta it was more fun and there were like 5-6 warframes and 20 weapons? Because of numbers we have increasing power creep with each warframe, weapon added. People can make builds for warframes and weapons which let them clear up to half the map without even aiming at the enemy. Whats worse if you want to do high level content you have to make such build. Speedrunning too is possible because of numbers in combat.