Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra Forma on Redeemer Prime?

(NSW)Conn1496

Question

Right now I'm sitting on two Umbra Forma from Nightwave. It feels like I'm a long way off doing anything railjack related (especially since I play solo), so I also assume I'm a long way off getting Umbra Forma through any kind of farming. I plan to save one long-term for when I eventually own Oberon Prime (Oberon being my main), but the other is just kind of sitting there gathering dust, since I don't really plan to use two for Oberon Prime and I feel like using it on regular Oberon in the meantime is a little bit wasteful in my long-term plans.

In short, my question is: Is Redeemer Prime worth using an Umbra Forma on?

Redeemer Prime was and still is my go-to for Eidolon killing (since I find it the most fun), so I feel like it would be a good pick in that regard. I do kinda worry about future balancing (I actually feel like Redeemer Prime is pretty obnoxious in terms of power and utility. Even in Melee 3.0 where it's been drastically slowed.), but other than that I don't feel like I have any reason to wait to use this on anything else. Am I just worrying too much about using up a seemingly rare resource? It would be nice to have quicker Eidolon kills so I can be more confident in eventually trying to take on Tridolons, but would Umbra Forma really help? Are there any Redeemer Prime builds that actually demand an Umbra Forma, or am I safe just using regular Forma to get the best results (mostly for Eidolon kills)?

6 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, (NSW)Conn1496 said:

Right now I'm sitting on two Umbra Forma from Nightwave. It feels like I'm a long way off doing anything railjack related (especially since I play solo), so I also assume I'm a long way off getting Umbra Forma through any kind of farming. I plan to save one long-term for when I eventually own Oberon Prime (Oberon being my main), but the other is just kind of sitting there gathering dust, since I don't really plan to use two for Oberon Prime and I feel like using it on regular Oberon in the meantime is a little bit wasteful in my long-term plans.

In short, my question is: Is Redeemer Prime worth using an Umbra Forma on?

Redeemer Prime was and still is my go-to for Eidolon killing (since I find it the most fun), so I feel like it would be a good pick in that regard. I do kinda worry about future balancing (I actually feel like Redeemer Prime is pretty obnoxious in terms of power and utility. Even in Melee 3.0 where it's been drastically slowed.), but other than that I don't feel like I have any reason to wait to use this on anything else. Am I just worrying too much about using up a seemingly rare resource? It would be nice to have quicker Eidolon kills so I can be more confident in eventually trying to take on Tridolons, but would Umbra Forma really help? Are there any Redeemer Prime builds that actually demand an Umbra Forma, or am I safe just using regular Forma to get the best results (mostly for Eidolon kills)?

Personally, I'd say use them on something you're planning to use for the long haul.
Both of mine went to my Valkyr Prime, to fit the Umbral set. Slide them on your Redeemer Prime and you can fit the Sacrificial set for Sentient killing and just plain hitting harder.

That said, using Umbral Forma on stuff like the Kuva Shildeg or Paracesis is an exercise in redundancy, since they're sitting pretty on 80 mod cap (90 with stance) once they've got 5 forma and a Catalyst.

Edited by NinjaKitsune56

3 minutes ago, (PS4)horridhal said:

I would use it on a frame rather than a weapon. The umbral mods for frames are far superior to their melee counterparts.

Now you've said it, this does sound kinda obvious given my experiences, so I'll definitely keep it in mind. As it stands though right now, the only other frame I consistently play is Hydroid, and I don't use Hydroid for any particularly hard work (for what I feel are kind of obvious reasons TBH) so I feel like Umbra Forma there would be a waste (doubly so because Hydroid Prime also exists, and I could wait for that). I do have Grendel in the works and I'm not that far off Equinox Prime, but I still have no idea if I'll enjoy playing either until I get my hands on them. I'll at least wait until I've spent some time with other frames and regular Forma'd Redeemer Prime before I make up my mind, then...

5 minutes ago, NinjaKitsune56 said:

Personally, I'd say use them on something you're planning to use for the long haul.
Both of mine went to my Valkyr Prime, to fit the Umbral set. Slide them on your Redeemer Prime and you can fit the Sacrificial set for Sentient killing and just plain hitting harder.

This is why I'm leaning towards Redeemer Prime in the first place. It's a weapon that's kind of carried me through multiple pieces of content in the past, and making it into a Sentient killer seems like a good plan (especially given that the New War is coming), and though I haven't heard great things about Sacrificial Pressure compared to good old Primed Pressure Point, Sacrificial Steel is a different story.

6 minutes ago, (XB1)COA Altair said:

Better to use on a frame, with a weapon like redeemer having 70 capacity you can fit sacrificial steel easily by just using normal forma for other slots.  I would not recommend using sacrificial pressure although who knows maybe sacrificial pressure will be good when new war comes out.  

This sounds like what I've heard in general too. I feel like right now though the admittedly few frames I play don't struggle even without Umbra Forma. I could probably further optimise those frames, true, but given that all of the frames I have interest in have Prime variants (Oberon, Hydroid and I would definitely consider Volt and Rhino Prime when they become available to me), it feels like a waste to do that with Umbra Forma. As said before in this post though, I feel like waiting to spend a little time with a couple of other frames I have interest in is likely a good idea in hindsight. I have a sneaking suspicion that Grendel in particular might need more work in terms of mods to be viable, so if I enjoy Grendel there's a good chance he'll get the Umbra Forma in the end.

Thanks for the quick responses.

1 hour ago, (NSW)Conn1496 said:

Now you've said it, this does sound kinda obvious given my experiences, so I'll definitely keep it in mind. As it stands though right now, the only other frame I consistently play is Hydroid, and I don't use Hydroid for any particularly hard work (for what I feel are kind of obvious reasons TBH) so I feel like Umbra Forma there would be a waste (doubly so because Hydroid Prime also exists, and I could wait for that). I do have Grendel in the works and I'm not that far off Equinox Prime, but I still have no idea if I'll enjoy playing either until I get my hands on them. I'll at least wait until I've spent some time with other frames and regular Forma'd Redeemer Prime before I make up my mind, then...

I would honestly give all the frames a try and just keep the umbra Forma until you find one you enjoy and want as a usual backup.  I have one on my Mesa and plans to put one on several other frames.  Honestly, though, I don’t think I’d ever umbral a weapon, it just seems like a massive waste given what you can accomplish on melee weapons already and how little you’ll actually need the small bonuses you get from slotting both the melee mods.  Even the damage boost against sentients is largely worthless considering how rare they are and how easily they can be killed without such a boost (or a paracecis if you enjoy the heavy blades).

Frames, realistically, allow for far less build diversity as a whole and adding all three umbral mods to a frame like Chroma, for example, would be prioritized for me because fitting all 3 of those on that frame along with a normal build basically turns Chroma into an immortal god of destruction capable of tanking the most damaging of bosses.

Edited by (PS4)horridhal

If I was you, and as others have also said, I would not use the forma on a weapon. My suggestion is to use it on a prime frame which can utilize using all 3, since most frames can do builds with 2/3 without the umbral forma.

So essentially you will want a frame that can utilize the umbral steel fiber, since umbral vitality and umbral intensify can be used by all frames.

Another option is for frames that use 2/3 umbrals and look into if you would want to play different builds with(something like Rhino Prime comes to mind) rather than locking yourself into one.

I've personally only used 1 of my 3. I put mine on Saryn Prime. I'm sure others will have suggestions. I wouldn't rush to put it in something though, that's my opinion at least.

Edited by Huchuundek