Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should You Forma Ability Slots?

KamaNightfire

Hello.

Let's assume you've already Forma'd 6 slots on your frame, and all that's left are your ability slots. Even with a correct polarity Aura slot, would it be a plausible thing to change your ability slots to allow for other modifications?

Let's say there's a Frame with only 1 useful ability, would you be willing to change the polarity on your 3 other ability slots to add in other things?

This is to assume you use Maxed mods, as if you left the slots alone you wouldn't be able to fit everything you wanted in the 3 slots you wouldn't use for abilities. Anyone willing to do the math? :P

I know it's going to be dependent on the frame and the usefulness of its abilities, but would this be something worth doing?

I'm a Nova so i'd be perfectly fine with MP until the nerf~. I'm just curious as to what other builds could be used if you sacrificed ability slots for other modifications.

-----------------------------------

In my honest opinion I don't think ability slots should hinder someone from using other modifications, if the user decides that the ability is not useful for them, why make a slot that only caters to 4 abilities and ONLY those abilities, it's not like the user can swap out for other frame abilities.

I think ability slots shouldn't cost more or less if you wanted to switch them with something else, but that's my opinion. Abilities shouldn't of been Modifications to begin with.

Edited by Cute

I agree that abilities shouldn't have been mods. Having to scroll through 48230 extra ability mods kinda sucks but that's kinda my fault.

I'd change the polarities of the ability slots if it really benefited my gameplay but I usually don't cause I like to use all the abilities of a frame. Just some personal obsession of mine. 

I haven't in the event that abilities actually become useful to me. However even with my ability slots still intact (I've forma'd my Ash 7 times), I still have enough capacity for pretty much any combination of mods I want.

I'm a Nova so i'd be perfectly fine with MP until the nerf~

I was suddenly reminded of those "omg bastille only affects 12 enemies at once now vawbin useless" people.

DE intends to nerf Nova, yes, but it's not like they're going to make her abilities so useless that you'd rather just Forma them away than use them. Nerfing something into oblivion to counter a previous state of overpoweredness is a very Nexon thing to do, but not DE.

I forma ability slots but I make sure that I have at least enough ability polarities + blank polarities that allow me to use all skills if needed.

I usually always have at least one ability slot forma'd away though, just because every frame seems to have that one skill (at minimum) that stops being useful late game.

personally i dont change the ability slots cause all of each frame ability has a purpose so imo best to have all of them with u at all time beside the rest of the slots is plenty of space to put in the usual build (flow, streamline, Stretch, focus, continuity, etc)

Edited by luanle21

You should Forma ability slots first. Regardless of whether you actually plan on using 4 abilities or not (I doubt you would) 1 and 2 only cost 5 and 7 respectively, saving you only 2 and 3 mod cost, whereas most Warframe mods cost 9 and will save you 4. Plus, leaving the blank slots alone means you can be flexible in which mods you place there, as well as future proof your builds. Ability slots can only fit abilities, however. Finally, all you need to do is Forma 2 ability slots and the Aura slot if it isn't a tactic polarity and you should have enough mod cost to fit pretty much anything.

I ditched one of my Rhino's ability slots. I swap between Roar and Rhino Charge depending on the difficulty. And depending on which ability I have determines my others mods. Worked out nicely so far. I always have Iron Skin and Rhino Stomp. I have to say though, I haven't had the guts to do this on any of my other frames yet. Considering doing it to Ember since, IMO, her Fireball still isn't very helpful for the majority of the game. Why use Fireball (on low-mid levels) when I can use Overheat for just a little more energy and kill way more enemies + have damage reduction? I dunno. Guess that could/might change in the future

Edited by 7.T.

Kind of off-topic and I'm sorry for that, but other than the aura slot, I've never-ever forma'd a warframe. Ever. And I have zero problems fitting everything I want (well, not everything, but that's because there are not enough slots). What are you guys putting in your frames, seriously? What am I missing?

Kind of off-topic and I'm sorry for that, but other than the aura slot, I've never-ever forma'd a warframe. Ever. And I have zero problems fitting everything I want (well, not everything, but that's because there are not enough slots). What are you guys putting in your frames, seriously? What am I missing?

Maxed Vitality, Redirection, Vigor, Rush, Quick Rest, then any mods to support any playstyle I'd use.

Well I decided to provide a few screenshots of what I'm using.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=182911114 - Vauban

As you can see, I've Forma'd once, and I'm at the limit of what I can do.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=182911082 - Frost Prime

Here I've Forma'd 3 times, and I have more than enough room (although Frost Prime comes with an extra polarity, so regular Warframes would be a bit behind). I'm not fully leveled yet, but I could even opt out of using Avalanche if I so chose once I've leveled further.

Edited by BadAimbot

It's easy to fit stuff when it isn't all maxed out.

Reminder that the game updates.

Today's god-tier ability could be tomorrow's begger-tier thing that people will replace with other stuff. But the reverse can be true.

And it is very likely that a "useless" power will get buffed.

Personally, I may use the ability slot to hold other mods at a penalty, but I will leave the polarity alone. But that's just me :)

Well I decided to provide a few screenshots of what I'm using.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=182911114 - Vauban

As you can see, I've Forma'd once, and I'm at the limit of what I can do.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=182911082 - Frost Prime

Here I've Forma'd 3 times, and I have more than enough room (although Frost Prime comes with an extra polarity, so regular Warframes would be a bit behind). I'm not fully leveled yet, but I could even opt out of using Avalanche if I so chose once I've leveled further.

That Thief's Wit is pretty wasteful. Seriously, you could just walk around. And after a while you learn were every piece of loot spawns anyway. Would be much better used either for Bastille on Vauban or Vitality/Fortitude on Frost (since you apparently hate his other abilities)

...it's not like they're going to make her abilities so useless that you'd rather just Forma them away than use them. Nerfing something into oblivion to counter a previous state of overpoweredness is a very Nexon thing to do, but not DE.

You must not have played as Saryn in her heyday.

DE didn't just nerf Venom, they got it drunk, gave it a nice sensual massage, put some pillows and warm blankets around it, gave it some nice soft music to listen to, wrapped it in bubble wrap, put it in an inflatable tube, and floated it down a calm river on a lazy Sunday afternoon, completely oblivious to the fact that it had just been molested by somebody's keyboard.

A lot of people feel the same way about Ember, for some reason. I always felt that she was complete garbage, so I've been questioning exactly how bad she is supposed to be if DE "nerfed" her.

That Thief's Wit is pretty wasteful. Seriously, you could just walk around. And after a while you learn were every piece of loot spawns anyway. Would be much better used either for Bastille on Vauban or Vitality/Fortitude on Frost (since you apparently hate his other abilities)

Usually I'm not doing something difficult enough where I can't use a QoL mod like Thief's Wit (I like Enemy Sense too). Bastille isn't that great now that Vortex doesn't troll people, and Frost spends most of his time in the glove so even Vigor is overkill (don't have much else to put there). Still, I could switch those around pretty easily. Replacing Ability slots gives a lot of flexibility.

You must not have played as Saryn in her heyday.

DE didn't just nerf Venom, they got it drunk, gave it a nice sensual massage, put some pillows and warm blankets around it, gave it some nice soft music to listen to, wrapped it in bubble wrap, put it in an inflatable tube, and floated it down a calm river on a lazy Sunday afternoon, completely oblivious to the fact that it had just been molested by somebody's keyboard.

A lot of people feel the same way about Ember, for some reason. I always felt that she was complete garbage, so I've been questioning exactly how bad she is supposed to be if DE "nerfed" her.

I don't see why people think Venom is terrible now. It's still her most useful ability. Granted I never really used her before the "nerf" since she was INCREDIBLY boring at low level and without a Focus mod...now her Venom is destroying everything.

Edited by Khaos_Zand3r

Maximum Redirection, Constitution, Rush, etc, are all expensive.

Most frames have 2 good abilities. It's exceedingly rare that a frame has 4 abilities you will reliably use. And sadly, due to the restrictions of life, war, and only 10 mod slots....... You're left with a meta. Other than life/power mods, there isnt much else you can do BUT to forma out a power. It's a shame.

Polarized rhino's charge slot because this ability is dam useless. Install there Rage for a greater good and a better handle with nightmare no-shields-no-energy game. 

Suggesting you to do the same. If you've got some ability which is completely useless for you - no doubt, you should free it for something proper in your build. Especially in "one-button" frames such as frost and nova.

I don't see why people think Venom is terrible now. It's still her most useful ability. Granted I never really used her before the "nerf" since she was INCREDIBLY boring at low level and without a Focus mod...now her Venom is destroying everything.

It was nerfed because, although fairly weak overall, it did massive DOT calculations per second, and the exponential growth of the skill sometimes would create so many separate DOT calculations that people's games would crash, hosts would lag out, everyone would go blind from the graphical effects, if their GPU didn't fry itself from trying to render the damage numbers we see, all kinds of fun stuff.

DE felt it would be easier to cut out the exponential growth characteristic that made it supremely valuable for mass damaging groups in choke points, than what would have been the smarter answer to solve the DOT calculation lag by combining the ticks together and showing the overall damage for that second instead of hundreds of individual ticks.

Here is what Venom looked like before the nerf, and note that this is only on about 6 enemies. Sometimes upwards of 20 enemies, or more, could be affected like this:

ih7Ez63.jpg

Venom needed a nerf. I could be the only damage-dealer in a t3 def for under 100 energy per wave, and it wouldn't be slow either.

Trouble is, at present they've rendered it totally useless.

Saryn is a prime candidate for formaing 1 ability slot. I'd say 2 but I live in hope of either contagion or venom being useful~

Silence is useless, so I got rid of it. Even got rid of the mod.

out of interest, how? can you transmute away your last copy of something, at a guess...?