Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Save that loot!

Xarteros

We've all been handed the short end of the stick with new content at one time or another. We rush in to try it out, and end up getting frustrated when all our progress is lost due to inevitable bugs.

DE does a pretty good job in getting the game stable after new content, all things considered, but I think it would be quite fair to have some kind of 'save loot' function to keep progress when the game breaks

They could even keep it limited to new content missions, and turn it back off once it's deemed stable

Stuff like banking your currently earned rewards when your host migrates, or having a /bank chat command to store your loot when a quest objective can't be completed. They could put anti-abuse measures in place to prevent some kind of crazy farming techniques, but regardless I think it would be better for the overall player experience to have reliable loot for new content.

34 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

They don't do that because you're supposed to not get any loot when you  fail a mission. If that's ever implemented, people will be abusing when the failure is near.

but when you've killed all the enemies and the game's bugged out and won't spawn any of your mission targets, you haven't failed. They could either just do more pre-testing and put in failsafes (which they did in the classic exterminate mission, to prevent inevitable bugs when the enemies would stop spawning and you still needed more kills), or they could make the reward banking method have limitations.

For example, if you had a /bank command to use when the mission bugged but you'd cleared all the enemies, they could make a parameter be that you can't be hit by enemy fire for 60 seconds (even with abilities that make you immune) or the timer will cancel. That way, you couldn't use it to save resources when you were about to die. It would need parameters to be relevant to the new content, and that's partly why I suggested that it could even just be a temporary command that ONLY applies to new content and is disabled once the content is deemed stable.

And there might be certain situations where you still can't make use of it (like if you're so bugged you can't even access chat or menus), but having even a limited ability to keep your progress would alleviate a lot of grievances. DE are pretty quick to stamp out exploits too, so I really don't consider that much of a concern

21 minutes ago, Xarteros said:

For example, if you had a /bank command to use when the mission bugged but you'd cleared all the enemies, they could make a parameter be that you can't be hit by enemy fire for 60 seconds (even with abilities that make you immune) or the timer will cancel. That way, you couldn't use it to save resources when you were about to die. It would need parameters to be relevant to the new content, and that's partly why I suggested that it could even just be a temporary command that ONLY applies to new content and is disabled once the content is deemed stable.

That seems awfully complex to solve situations that shouldn't exist in the first place. I'd prefer they do some proper testing rather than implementing something that can so easily be abused.

Why not the same as the other 2 open worlds, you can extract at any time to fail the mission but get all the loot you gathered so far? It would not be as painful to lose everything in case of an unfair loss due to bugs and they don't have to remove it after it's stable.

Edited by HunterDigi

19 hours ago, Chewarette said:

That seems awfully complex to solve situations that shouldn't exist in the first place. I'd prefer they do some proper testing rather than implementing something that can so easily be abused.

I really don't see how it would 'easily be abused'. Type /bank into chat, after 60 seconds of not being hit by any enemy attacks, your rewards are saved and you can safely abort the mission. You can't do it during combat, you can't do it after failing an objective, DE could set it so you can only do it once, and that it only affects your loot (so one party member can't spoil it for everyone). It wouldn't even cover all situations for RJ when the game bugs itself out. I don't see how that's complex, really. DE can then just make different similar parameters for other content they bring out.

Or hey, I absolutely agree: why not just test it more first? Since we don't really seem to get that level of stability on any early builds of WF, I'd rather just see if we can get a failsafe that DE can even turn on or off as they see necessary.

Beyond that, I don't even know why aborting a mission deserves the loss of all of your loot. It's not like you're going back and un-looting all the corpses of your foes, and carefully reconstructing them out of the blasted pieces you left behind. I understand that there needs to be incentives to survive and make it through, but that can be easily kept by making failing/quitting a mission only give you half the resources you found.

I don't really care what DE do, I just want them to make it less punishing to try out new content, whether that's by vetting their work more thoroughly before release, or putting in failsafes to prevent objectives being unable to complete. They could put failsafes in the individual objectives (like making the radiator vents automatically expose every 5 minutes for 30 seconds or something), but then the matter becomes 'what happens when the failsafe bugs out'. Hence why I think it'd be easier to just have a /bank style of command