Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

As a long-time fan of the Supreme Soma set, I do not find Aksomati Prime remotely visually appealing.

Maxim_M_Payne

I've got to regrettably announce that 2019 is officially the year I lost interest in... ...most of pretty much the whole of Warframe, and this is the straw that broke the camel's arthritic, osteoperosis-riddled back. The art team has genuine talent, but it's abundantly clear DE forced them into crunch and did not give them time to add visual coherency into Aksomati Prime. Abuse of creative talent is rampant enough in the industry; and Aksomati Prime's design and clunkiness makes it evident that DE used artists who were forced to rush out the guns' "final" look without time or rest to refine it. I expected better from a somewhat small Canadian developer, one I'd hoped to have more ethical business practices; but it's good to know that the whole international gaming industry really is as toxic as the film industry in how it treats employees. Each line of these guns makes me highly suspicious of how the artists behind them were "treated". 

And that's just my ethical concerns about the production of this Prime Access/relics. After the monumental frustration this year has brought; between the clumsy "upgrading" of Melee, and the ever more eye-irritating particle spam on most VFX, I'd gotten hopeful. This was foolish of me; the way the year was going already, I should not have expected my favorite Secondary weapon to receive a Prime form that actually looked good and sleek, let alone, God forbid, that actually matches the aesthetic of the Prime Primary weapon from the same weapon set.

lGaHZNL.jpg

Aksomati are classics. They're stylish, they're discreet, they're elegant, they aren't some horrible three-foot-wide clown revolver, and they have form language that, though exotic, doesn't veer into the ridiculous and over-done. They look like they were designed; and not like they were slapped together in half an hour using Blender, and a selection of random kitchen appliances as "reference", by a team of people Steve Sinclair stood behind whipping while rolling in piles of Canadian dollars.

Aksomati Prime, on the other hand...

js0FXSd.jpg

Oh boy, where to begin? Why do these dissapoint me, and further break what little heart I still had, heart which still had any faith in the game's art direction, the devs' treatment of their artists, or the ability to fix what's been messed up this year? Why is this, of all things, the final, miserable thing that makes my blood boil?

Possibly because they look rushed, and I've read enough truly depressing investigative journalism into modern game developers to assume that they likely were rushed, at great cost to the art team's physical, mental, and sleep-schedule health? DE's treated player feedback with disregard this year; but this sort of slip-shod job looks like a highly suspicious sign of artist abuse.

Perhaps it's the fact they don't match Soma Prime visually, despite their non-Prime forms being part of a cohesive weapon set, one explicitly described as being weapons that were created and designed to accompany each other; so THEIR PRIME VERSIONS SHOULD LOGICALLY ECHO EACH OTHER'S DESIGN? We've already gone through this crap at least once between Boltor Prime VS Akbolto Prime. So far, only Redeemer Prime, Akjagara Prime, and Tigris Prime actually  (and CORRECTLY) succeed in this goal of visual coherency; and they were released between entirely different Prime Warframes, so "but this one came with Ivara" is no excuse. They correctly echo each other's form language; having similar metallic arcs, bladed or blade-shaped details, and burl patches. They look like they belong together; Soma Prime and Aksomati Prime look like their original weapons had no relation; much like Akbolto's Primes inexplicable glowing "leaves" and briar branches, despite the fact Boltor Prime is far more akin to a serrated human backbone?

Maybe it's the fact that they are visibly three times larger than their normal form; and nearly twice as thick in cross-section, and the fact there seemingly "wasn't time" to make the weapons scaled correctly in relation to the Warframes is also highly suspicious and further increases my belief the art team was mistreated? 

Or maybe I'm bothered by the inexplicable knuckle-guard normal Aksomati doesn't have, and since Soma Prime doesn't suddenly slap a bar over your knuckles then neither should Aksomati Prime. Especially since the aformentioned bizzare loop of metal resembles a sagging nipple, or a chunk of one of those indescribably frustrating metal puzzles from Japan you have to disentangle from each other.

Perhaps it's how both normal Aksomati, normal Soma, and Soma Prime all have a magazine that is almost entirely metal; whereas Asksomati Prime's magazines have a an inexplicable chunk of non-metal on the back edge that completely throws off the flow of the aesthetic, and yet again does absolutely nothing to visually fit in with Soma PrimeWhen the same piece of a weapon is made of an awkward hodge-podge of two different material maps, it rarely looks good, and this is a very strong example.

Maybe I dislike how the elegant, bifurcated, non-vision-obscuring "wings" of the barrels on normal Aksomati are turned into huge, screen-blocking flower... ...things that accomplish the exact opposite of all the prior adjectives in the first half of this sentence. Further compounded by the fact a flower aesthetic makes no design sense on something so stupidly over-sized. These are nothing but inelegant; the floral detailing comes across as a desperate attempt to salvage a trainwreck.

I could also simply be bothered by the inexplicably lengthening of the prongs on the receivers; that increased size only made sense on Soma Prime, where the magazine size was increased by double, and the magazine went from hemi-circular in shape to almost a 190 degree arc. Aksomati have no such doubling of 140 rounds from the prior combined total of 70, instead having a feeble 80; and accordingly, the magazine isn't any longer or more curved. Without it being longer and more curved, as the magazine was on Soma Prime, the prongs should not be altered in size.

Maybe it's how the pleasingly rounded stock-end of the pistols has been changed into... ...I don't even know what to call that sticking out in the back. Nothing like something that will poke you in the solar plexus from its own recoil as an automatic weapon.

Maybe I'm let down because all of the above factors combine to make Aksomati Prime look more like a scrapped design for Akstilleto Prime than they look like the Prime version of Aksomati. Let alone how they basically share nothing with Soma Prime, except a tiny handful of ridges and lights...

But most of all, I think the real reason I'm so angry is that this all combines into a final product that was visibly scrambled out to meet a deadline; and if one thing angers me more than Melee 3.0, it's the possiblity that DE has begun to mistreat and set quotas on the same artists that made the game visually distinct enough to succeed in the first place.

Aksomati Prime are the work of both the design aesthetics and "employee benefits" of a AAA developer. Take it from a 21-year-old American, that is anything but a complement. 

The only abuse going on is on your keyboard.

8 minutes ago, Maxim_M_Payne said:

Aksomati Prime are the work of both the design aesthetics and "employee benefits" of a AAA developer. Take it from a 21-year-old American, that is anything but a complement. 

???

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Maxim_M_Payne said:

But most of all, I think the real reason I'm so angry is that this all combines into a final product that was visibly scrambled out to meet a deadline; and if one thing angers me more than Melee 3.0, it's the possiblity that DE has begun to mistreat and set quotas on the same artists that made the game visually distinct enough to succeed in the first place.

Easy there bud. Having played this game for the last 6 years it's most likely they thought it was cool and that's it. Besides the Aksomati does look in line with all Prime weapons Sean Bigham has designed (line distribution is the key indicator), so I wouldn't be surprised if he had designed this while someone else designed the Soma Prime.

And at the end of the day, there's nothing wrong really. Akjagara and Redeemer already do this VS Tigris in some way. If DE wants to all they need to do is release some Baro skin or something for the Prime weapons, it ain't too much of an issue.

• Like 1