Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

RailJack's: List everything you know that people dont know here.

evil713

Railjacks was released with both a lot and very little information on there operation and mechanics, and this topic is just to cover all the things that maybe people don't know at the start. This is just the stuff I have noticed and am sharing. Please share what you have learned as well.

-Almost all operations on a railjack are level locked behind intrinsics. 

Many of us have seen the videos showing off railjacks doing cool stuff, like launching archwings or firing the artillery weapon at targets. Unfortunately a lot of this is cut off to the starting crewmember by the intrinsics system. Not only is the archwing launcher (gunnery 3 to use, gunnery 4 to board crewships) and the artillery weapon (gunnery 5) use cut off, but construction of energy (engineering 2) and consumable ordnance (engineering 3, engineering 5 for dome charges for artillery) and even the ship map (Tactical 1, press L to access) and boost (piloting 1) is locked behind this system.

-Ordnance and energy is limited and can be used by gunners.

Unlike your Warframes the Railjack cannot passively recharge energy or pick up ammunition. both require manufacturing in one of the forges. This resource is not limited to the pilot but the one or two gunners as well, or anyone using the tactical interface to remote cast abilities. This means that the system can be mismanaged. Torpedos can be fired wildly, powers could be cast for amusement, resources could be waisted before they are needed. This Is co-op crew work, move your crew to victory.

-It is exceeding difficult for a Railjack to be destroyed.

Railjacks do not explode when they hit low health, they instead hit a state of immortality for one (1) minute where the ship can be repaired, and are given health and temporary immunity to damage for a small amount of time. They do not lose any major function during this state and nothing is disabled. If you fail to make the repair during this time, either from neglect or lack of omni resource to repair, then your railjack is "destroyed" and you will be returned to the drydock, losing all your resources you gained during that mission. There is no repair cost or penalty otherwise.

-Enemy Missiles can be shot down, Outrider Mines cannot.

Avoiding damage can be difficult for the railjack. You can try to hide behind static objects in the map, some pilots can dodge, but some enemy ordnance has tracking. If you see any large blue shots coming towards the ship you can destroy them before they hit. Unfortunately the Outrider Mines it sometimes deploys cannot be shot down and the only option is to run away from them.

-Save ordnance for harder threats, but not for use on Crewships

Ordnance packs quite a punch, but in some cases it is a waste to use. Smaller fighters can be easy to beat with guns, but larger ones more difficult and ordnance can save time. Crewships on the other hand are as immortal as Railjacks, except they have 37 times the hull and have armor that can reduce your damage to single digits, and when reduced to 0 damage via conventional means will eventually restart at half health.

-Only things that can kill a crewship are Artillery and doing it yourself.

Crewships are a massive threat, with explosive tracking ordnance and three weapons positions combined with there stupidly solid armor. That being said they can be affected by weapon effects and disabled by shooting out there engines. But there are only two ways to destroy a crewship. One is using Railjack Artillery, which unfortunately requires Gunnery 5 to operate, and should you run out of charges during combat Engineering 5 to reload it in the field. Leaving the second option more preferable and less resource intensive, flying over in an archwing and blowing up the reactor yourself.

-A lot of things shown in previous demo's have either been scaled back, streamlined or not been implemented yet.

Some might remember things like power redirection from the first demo or quick slotting powers from the second or tactical power support on remote locations. There is very little to board and its all small stations. I personally have only been to two of the three sectors and have not seen a corvus ship or been on an orokin station (I'm assuming this one might be in the void sector). This release was fast and looks like not all content is ready. Patience, eventually all will be released.

• Like 4

If you're someone who absolutely must be outside the Railjack, try and make frequent use of the Archwing Cannon, you can essentially turn yourself into a guided missile at no cost for the crew and if you're taking the time to run to it you might as well also hit those pesky fires and hull breaches. Please. Just come back. I miss you.

• Like 2

All resources crates: red light cans, tubular crates, rectangular salvage blocks, green gas covered wreckage, spherical spinning probe, grineer gas bag drones contents are completely random. You can find anything from ~5 rare resources to ~30 cubes or pustrels. There is no guarantee a specific crate will give you want you need for Omni.

The only resource crate that's predictable are red astroid rocks and spiral rock formations for titanium or the rare null stones.

• Like 1

The following applies to your railjack weapons as well as any elementals you have equipped in your archguns:

Any combined damage types in archguns are separated to their individual elements when used on railjack specific enemies (ie crewships and fighters.)
However, if used on normal enemies (ie grinner invading your railjack), the combined damage will be used instead.

Impact becomes Ballistic damage (concusses enemies. They have reduced aim and damage)
Slash becomes Particle damage (Breaks through hull, allows increased damage over time [similar to corrosive proc and damage])
Puncture becomes Plasma damage (Reduces enemy max health and armour value, [similar to corrosive and viral procs])
Toxic becomes Chemical damage (Confuses enemies to friendly fire, [similar to a radiation proc])
Electric becomes Ionic damage (Deactivates enemy ship controls, [similar to a stun])
Heat becomes Incendiary damage (Causes fires within ships. Damage over time effect)
Cold becomes Frost damage (Freezes enemies to a stop)

If you, for example, use corrosive damage on an enemy ship, it will be separated to electric (Ionic) and toxin (Chemical).

For using archguns against enemy ships, build for status, ignore crit builds. Crit builds are not more effective than status builds.

3 hours ago, BansheePrime said:

You absolutely can destroy outrider mines. They just don’t have a visible HP and hitting em doesn’t show numbers.

It feels like there's a delay before they become vulnerable.  Sending a cryophon blast through ones that just got laid has never done anything but they go away pretty easily when doing the post-mission resource sweep.

Do not refine without asking. You are forcing a return to the dojo. Do not EVER refine in the middle of combat. You are cutting the amount of Omni ammo, Flux Energy, Ordnance and Artillery. You need those to kill things. Do not hop in the pilot seat at the end of the mission and start firing off Flux abilities at nothing. You're wasting the resources of the ships owner.

Honestly refining should be locked to the Captain of the ship. It would stop a lot of issues with trolling.

1 hour ago, Aadi880 said:

The following applies to your railjack weapons as well as any elementals you have equipped in your archguns:

Any combined damage types in archguns are separated to their individual elements when used on railjack specific enemies (ie crewships and fighters.)
However, if used on normal enemies (ie grinner invading your railjack), the combined damage will be used instead.

Impact becomes Ballistic damage (concusses enemies. They have reduced aim and damage)
Slash becomes Particle damage (Breaks through hull, allows increased damage over time [similar to corrosive proc and damage])
Puncture becomes Plasma damage (Reduces enemy max health and armour value, [similar to corrosive and viral procs])
Toxic becomes Chemical damage (Confuses enemies to friendly fire, [similar to a radiation proc])
Electric becomes Ionic damage (Deactivates enemy ship controls, [similar to a stun])
Heat becomes Incendiary damage (Causes fires within ships. Damage over time effect)
Cold becomes Frost damage (Freezes enemies to a stop)

If you, for example, use corrosive damage on an enemy ship, it will be separated to electric (Ionic) and toxin (Chemical).

For using archguns against enemy ships, build for status, ignore crit builds. Crit builds are not more effective than status builds.

Hey , would you mind if I used this for my own Railjack Guide ?

3 hours ago, evil713 said:

Unlike your Warframes the Railjack cannot passively recharge energy or pick up ammunition. both require manufacturing in one of the forges. This resource is not limited to the pilot but the one or two gunners as well, or anyone using the tactical interface to remote cast abilities. This means that the system can be mismanaged. Torpedos can be fired wildly, powers could be cast for amusement, resources could be waisted before they are needed. This Is co-op crew work, move your crew to victory.

15 minutes ago, Hyohakusha said:

Do not refine without asking. You are forcing a return to the dojo. Do not EVER refine in the middle of combat. You are cutting the amount of Omni ammo, Flux Energy, Ordnance and Artillery. You need those to kill things. Do not hop in the pilot seat at the end of the mission and start firing off Flux abilities at nothing. You're wasting the resources of the ships owner.

Honestly refining should be locked to the Captain of the ship. It would stop a lot of issues with trolling.

I think the most important takeaway from this is to never pub railjack

24 minutes ago, dirtysmile said:

I think the most important takeaway from this is to never pub railjack

I've been playing pubs exclusively since launch. These problems do occur but not often enough to negatively impact my experience. I think most people are still just learning the ropes. As time goes by a "Railjack Etiquette" will surely be normalized. There will always be trolls, but I think people really exaggerate their prevalence because drama makes for better posting than unicorns and rainbows.

The operator can access the artillery cannon much faster than the Warframe can, the latter needing to go through a janky "hook up" period.  It's probably a bug, but damn does it feel nice getting set up ASAP.

Open your map before manning the helm or a broadside gun.  It will vastly improve your railjack awareness.

Elite outriders always drop parts from my experience.  They can also easily be brought down with a tycho missile, or a barrage of fire from an inaccurate weapon like the phaedra.

1 hour ago, Hyohakusha said:

Refining shouldn't be a thing.  What does it add to the game play, really?  We won't hesitate to pick up resources drops, some Tenno keep refining everything, payload stockpiles be damned, and auto refining on dojo return and refining all excess resources picked up once the hold is full isn't going to change how we play railjack.

Edited by Lost_Cartographer

2 hours ago, H0B0Z said:

I've been playing pubs exclusively since launch. These problems do occur but not often enough to negatively impact my experience. I think most people are still just learning the ropes. As time goes by a "Railjack Etiquette" will surely be normalized. There will always be trolls, but I think people really exaggerate their prevalence because drama makes for better posting than unicorns and rainbows.

I would rather dramatize it and have DE implement systems to reduce the issue, than deal with the risk every time I start up a mission

The "refining" problem comes from the 200 cap - and not properly shared resources.

I'm not sure if the resources over cap are wasted or go to the inventories.

But refining mid mission is fine if ordnance is full - or not really used at all.