Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Views On Solo Play

Cirinwe

Little bit of background; I've played Warframe for several years now (first on Xbox, now on PC) and about 95% - 99% of that has been solo play. I like playing solo, and my poor internet connection can handle it. For the most part, Warframe is easily soloable and you're not held back if you choose to play alone, which is fantastic.

Now we come to the recent content release with Empyrean. I have a solo clan and have enjoyed constructing my railjack, the command update is coming at some point in the future, which is awesome and I look forward to it - a great boon for solo players. However, a recent piece of story content was also released (which I won't discuss much because of spoilers) - tied behind not only railjack but also Eidolon hunting (specifically some resources gained from the latter). This seems counter-productive to the future command update, as Eidolons are not very solo friendly content (particularly for casual players who may mainly focus on story content). If future story content will likewise be locked behind things like this, it will be quite disappointing for a lot of players when there are no alternative options for getting certain resources or unlocking certain content. 

I guess I'm just trying to: 

a) Figure out what the thought process behind these decisions is.
b) See if I'm in the minority with this.

What are everyone else's thoughts here? 

which resources do you need? if they drop from the basic eidolon teralyst instead of the gantulyst or hydrolyst then you can probably solo it with some practice.

i usually run public missions, because i've found having teammates to be of great help.... most of the time. 

i think you're probably in a minority, as a pure solo player. i know a lot of people who preffer solo play, but they still do coop play when neccesary or when the mission is actually hard. hence why you might be falling under the radar a bit here.

7 minutes ago, Hazmick said:

tied behind not only railjack but also Eidolon hunting (specifically some resources gained from the latter).

Both of these can be soloed. I think it is a reasonable expectation that we will do the content DE gives us. And when should expect past content to be required for future content. It gives some kind of 'quest progression' system.

If I recall, it was said somewhere that between 25-30% of players play solo more often than not, don't remember where I heard it, but it's definitely not a vast minority. Just a piece of the pie, albeit smaller.

There will be times where content is significantly easier in a group than without one, but Eidolons are entirely soloable with the right gear and knowledge of the task at hand. Coming from a player who has already beaten the Veil Proxima in Empyrean solo, nothing is truly impossible, just more difficult or tedious.

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AEP8FlyBoy said:

If I recall, it was said somewhere that between 25-30% of players play solo more often than not, don't remember where I heard it, but it's definitely not a minority.

That's less than half (and less than a third), the definition of minority :}

I´m a casual, i dont have maxed mods or rare mod builds and with some work i can solo eidolons, get a chunky frame that can resist constant attacks by vombalyst and a good sniper, if you keep your eidolon lures and refresh them  near the end you should be able to do 1 or 2 terrys a night.

Warframe is a multiplayer co-op game that has some elements that can be played solo.  One should accept this fact and not demand DE to bend backwards to cater to solo players on the expense of people wanting to play multiplayer.  That being said, however, DE should not S#&$ on soloers when story quests are a solo experience.  It just does not compute.

Warframe is mature enough for a game, and it doesn't need to "force" players to try out a new mode when the targeted audience isn't them.  Imagine The War Within required Conclave rank 3 for superficial reason like the Tenno should be at least an acquaintance of Teshin.  It would be madness and people would have rebelled.

1 hour ago, kgptzac said:

Warframe is a multiplayer co-op game that has some elements that can be played solo.  One should accept this fact and not demand DE to bend backwards to cater to solo players on the expense of people wanting to play multiplayer.  That being said, however, DE should not S#&$ on soloers when story quests are a solo experience.  It just does not compute.

Warframe is mature enough for a game, and it doesn't need to "force" players to try out a new mode when the targeted audience isn't them.  Imagine The War Within required Conclave rank 3 for superficial reason like the Tenno should be at least an acquaintance of Teshin.  It would be madness and people would have rebelled.

Correct me if I'm completely overlooking a feature, but can't all content of Warframe be played and completed solo? Albeit some with more difficulties than others.

I think Warframe is treading an okay, but fine line at the moment. Ideally in my opinion, I would like all content in Warframe to be possible solo but it may be slower or much more difficult. It would be annoying if they introduced a boss that targets a random Warframe and puts them in stasis and another Warframe needs to break them out of it (looking at you Monster Hunter World).

I tend to play solo for anything I personally have an investment in, grinding for specific relics and/or materials I do solo.

Everything else I do with matchmaking, and usually only for short bursts, like relics and sorties.

The reason why I favor solo is that other people have a good chance of exploding into a rage if you do something wrong, or just drag the entire mission out for no reason.

I never was a "make friends" type of person, I have no issues working with people towards a common goal, but friend making has always been an issue for me ever since I was young.

Guess being burned a few too many times in life leaves a person on guard eh?

Tbh I'd rather solo the missions than joining pugs. Sometimes I got connected with those having really bad connections or slow pc that can't handle hosting the mission. 

Harder difficulty doing solo = acceptable in my view

Harder to shoot enemies bc they jumps across the screen, damage didn't register, doors wont open is seriously frustrating... then comes the insta-down bc of stray bullets from enemy next room away...

At current state (excluding empyrean - haven't touched those, not gonna in the near future), I think wf still has good balance for the missions. You can still solo sorties, hunt teralyst and stuff, it's just not efficient doing it all alone

I'm kind of a rebel. I'm adult that works and is semi lucky enough to have freedom in life. So if I start playing some game and some people want me to join their league and start telling me to run this and run that and be on when they seem fit....I'm totally out.

Theres 2 kinds of leagues in MMOS: the n*zi that tries to rule people with an iron fist and the cool league that doesn't pressure people. The latter may not do a buncha awesome cool stuff as soon as it drops but at least you dont feel like your gaming experience is a second job.

13 hours ago, zakaryx said:

People solo eidolons all the time though. It's not as easy but it's perfectly doable.

this is true, but I'd say a worry would be DE pushing out more content similar to eidolons, like rail jack, that's doable solo, but not all that fun (subjectively).

game seems to be heading in that direction and along with the intensifying RNG that disrespects my time, buggy/rushed content releases, I'm legitimately worried for warframe.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hazmick said:

I like playing solo, and my poor internet connection can handle it.

In terms of internet connection, there are settings to prefer better host connections, however I do have to admit, I've seen it fail pretty miserably sometimes. In terms of preferring solo play, for the most part I can perfectly understand. But if you try sometimes, you get what you need. And that is like-minded players with similar playstyle that occasionally want to squad up for specific tasks. Doesn't hurt to try and find such a group for yourself.

I solo'd my way across the entire map, every node, every boss.

My reasoning for this is that playing with higher MR players who just fly across the map and finish the objective before you've even left the first room simply isn't fun.

So, I switched the match maker to friends only and did it all myself.

Best decision I ever made, it taught me how to learn the limits of every frame and weapon, it taught me how to play Warframe.

For the higher content the game does punish you for soloing I think, unless you are super cheesy about it. I prefer to solo because I like taking my time, doing what I want and not rush a lot of things. The downside is that everything will target you, and that can suck.

Other than very specific new or rare objects, I'd rather grind for it myself. I'll pug for terralyst if I have the stomach for it. If the group is semi-competent, it's okay. I've soloed Terrlyst, but man that's painful.The tridolon is another story and pugging it has been typically awful and recruit chat is trash no matter how many times folks claim its a solution. I'm trying to get as much of the railjack uprgradie cycle completed with the clan I'm in before they collectively get bored again. At which point, it's pug or solo and neither sound all that appealing.

My latest thing to do while testing a melee weapon out as I'm leveling it is just run around solo in an infested survival for as long as I can. When the damage starts to fall apart, I leave and the weapon is most of the way leveled. At that point, I'll determine if "I want to put a lens on it", "that was fun and now it's on the shelf", or "oh my lawrdie that was painful, burn it with fire!"

20 hours ago, Hazmick said:

Little bit of background; I've played Warframe for several years now (first on Xbox, now on PC) and about 95% - 99% of that has been solo play. I like playing solo, and my poor internet connection can handle it. For the most part, Warframe is easily soloable and you're not held back if you choose to play alone, which is fantastic.

Now we come to the recent content release with Empyrean. I have a solo clan and have enjoyed constructing my railjack, the command update is coming at some point in the future, which is awesome and I look forward to it - a great boon for solo players. However, a recent piece of story content was also released (which I won't discuss much because of spoilers) - tied behind not only railjack but also Eidolon hunting (specifically some resources gained from the latter). This seems counter-productive to the future command update, as Eidolons are not very solo friendly content (particularly for casual players who may mainly focus on story content). If future story content will likewise be locked behind things like this, it will be quite disappointing for a lot of players when there are no alternative options for getting certain resources or unlocking certain content. 

I guess I'm just trying to: 

a) Figure out what the thought process behind these decisions is.
b) See if I'm in the minority with this.

What are everyone else's thoughts here? 

Ive been playing solo since 2015, i really dont understand what is the problem here. Ive managed to do everything so far

I'm 98% solo myself as well.  One of my friends plays (yes I got them into Warframe!) but we both have demanding careers and can only team up for an hour or two here and there in-game.

One thing that bugs me is the selective use of "it's a co-op game", "...then play solo", "...use recruitment chat"  only when it suits the argument at hand.

If I was a new player reading these, it would confuse the sh*t outta me.  I'm solo, it's a co-op game, if you're struggling, use recruitment chat...recruitment chat is toxic trash garbage...

You get my point.

On topic though, I think DE does an ok job balancing the two (solo vs. co-op) I don't think there's a solution to appease everyone.  The Command Intrinsic I'm hoping does what it says or Railjack is gonna be tough for me I think.  I've solo'd two out of the 3 eidolons and it is tough too.

I only play solo. sucks after years of doing it since day 1 of this games release they went another route and it killed this game around the time of year i needed it most. I don't even log in now. Done spending hard earned money on it if it no longer is supporting my playstyle. I know it's harsh or "wrong" to some for me to say this but backstabbed is what I feel.