Jump to content
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
  • 0

Railjack Crew Building


DrakeWurrum
 Share

Question

So thanks to work hours, I've not been diving as deep into Railjack as I'd like. I've mostly just been sticking to Earth Proxmia over the week to keep it relaxing. I did grab some rush drones to repair some MK1 gear (guns, reactor, engines) for a nice boost, but definitely prefer to just farm the resources going forward. I've touched on Saturn once, seemed doable, but I wanted to wait until I could either build a crew in recruiting chat or get lucky with Public on the weekend so I can push on to wherever the special spoilery secret is (I've heard it exists, but want to stumble on the rest myself). I figure my ship should be able to handle Saturn okay, and then I can focus on farming resources for MK2 gear before I head to the Veil (unless MK1 is good enough).

My question: What is currently treated as "meta" by the community for building a crew, especially in terms of who does what? I know there's not really too much written in stone, but I'm curious what y'all are putting together when building a crew. Or, at least, what's considered acceptable.

My guess is:

  • pilot (probably the owner by default?)
  • engineer (repairs and forge)
  • gunner (mostly sticking to side turret to take out fighters)
  • boarder (either handling crewships, mission objectives, or helping with fighters somehow)

Is that about right? How variable would you say "roles" are so far? I've mostly been piloting, but now and then I'll just go ahead and help with a boarding party or jump in the slingshot randomly. Is that considered a "no-no" for Railjack etiquette? Should I stick exclusively to the pilot seat?

Is there a particular method people are using when doing the mission? Fly the ship straight to the objective without braking for the little guys?
A part of me feels like, depending on the objective, quickly taking it out and THEN focusing on fighters/crewships with two people on turrets might be the most effective method. Or is hijacking extra crewships especially effective? Or does Archwing work especially well instead?

Maybe I'm worrying too much about what is "acceptable" and should just continue to wing it? I'm mostly asking because, so far, when I go Public I go through a good 3-4 people leaving the squad in the first 10 minutes before I have a full 4 people actually following along with me. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

It really depends on the experience level of the crew.

A week ago ships were constantly in hull failure. I thought voice chat would become a prerequisite.

A week later, after serving on experienced ships, it's becoming more like the warframe we all know and love where everyone knows what to do and the occasional text chat is more than adequate.

My ship isn't done yet, I was flirting with the idea of letting a random be the pilot while I slingshot but I've seen how other pilots choosing where to park (group away team) etc changes the game experience.

1. Pilot/Engineer (Owner)

2. Gunner/Engineer

3. Archwing Amesha

4. Float    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
17 minutes ago, CityOfVillians said:

A week ago ships were constantly in hull failure. I thought voice chat would become a prerequisite.

A week later, after serving on experienced ships, it's becoming more like the warframe we all know and love where everyone knows what to do and the occasional text chat is more than adequate.

I feel this is because we all though "Its a big ship lets get dogfighting" without realising that the railjacks made out of paper. Pilots seem to be keeping a distance more now, so you take less of a beating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
11 minutes ago, chaotea said:

I feel this is because we all though "Its a big ship lets get dogfighting" without realising that the railjacks made out of paper. Pilots seem to be keeping a distance more now, so you take less of a beating.

i still have people that try to do this... (running pubs), so i equiped my ship to deal with that. cryo guns up front + maxed out hull and armor does wonders in terms of stopping people from dogfighting too hard, and when they do the ship will survive just fine. and so far i have not had issues running saturn in public (outside of my guns being underpowered at the moment).

i usually act as float in terms of crewing because in pubs people tend to want to do one specific thing (usually piloting or manning side guns), i'm currently 5/5/6/5 in terms of intrinsics (working on rank 7 gunnery so i can enter the veil) so its quite easy to switch tasks to boarding, repair etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
8 hours ago, chaotea said:

I feel this is because we all though "Its a big ship lets get dogfighting" without realising that the railjacks made out of paper. Pilots seem to be keeping a distance more now, so you take less of a beating.

The ships are only really made of paper before you get Hullweave and Bulkhead to a decent level, as I've done. So uh... yeah, I still charge headfirst into the dogfighting. Doesn't really matter how much damage the ship takes, so long as the engineer keeps repairing stuff.

7 hours ago, SupremeDutchGamer said:

so i equiped my ship to deal with that. cryo guns up front + maxed out hull and armor does wonders in terms of stopping people from dogfighting too hard

In my experience, Carcinnox is the way to go, but to each their own. I feel like Cryophon is too slow.

8 hours ago, CityOfVillians said:

I was flirting with the idea of letting a random be the pilot while I slingshot but I've seen how other pilots choosing where to park (group away team) etc changes the game experience.

Hrm. I haven't really paid too much attention to how I should park, I just kinda pick a spot that seems good, since the fighters are gonna find me anyways. I know some people like to hide inside an asteroid shaped just right, but it hasn't even stopped boarding teams, far as I can tell.

8 hours ago, CityOfVillians said:

1. Pilot/Engineer (Owner)

2. Gunner/Engineer

3. Archwing Amesha

4. Float    

So your suggestion is that pilot and gunner focus on handling repairs and boarding parties? Probably more gunners than pilot.

Though with a "float" position, that leaves more freedom to the other three folks while he picks up the slack anywhere that needs it. In what I've seen so far there's nearly always someone repairing though, unless there's no actual damage being taken. Feels like float would get stuck repairing constantly.

Whenever I've tried using my Archwing to fight off enemy fighters, I end up feeling like my ship's turrets are a much faster option, even with the heat buildup. And I only have MK1, so I can't imagine how much superior MK2 or 3 will end up feeling.

5 hours ago, chaotea said:

The other thing is getting people to kill all the fighters before running off to do cruisers. I just avoid them until the fighters are gone.

I definitely prefer, personally, taking out fighters first in general. Less people repairing means more people on the away team.

On the other hand, aren't there certain objectives that makes fighters stronger? Plus the hangar is supposed to let you have a fancy ship to take out fighters with (but it looks like it gets stuck inside the hangar still).

Edited by DrakeWurrum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
6 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

In my experience, Carcinnox is the way to go, but to each their own. I feel like Cryophon is too slow.

i actually have those on my side guns, and cryo up front for EXACTLY that reason, people cant go full dogfight when every 4 shots they have to take a chill pill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
4 minutes ago, SupremeDutchGamer said:

i actually have those on my side guns, and cryo up front for EXACTLY that reason, people cant go full dogfight when every 4 shots they have to take a chill pill.

Not if you pull back on the trigger before the guns overheat. I tend to fire my Carcinnox in bursts, but I also have a Zetki version, which means heat builds up really fast.

Taking a second to let heat drop down is faster than overheating and waiting for them to completely cool.

But then I guess I'm basically doing the same as Cryophon at that point, huh? =\

Edited by DrakeWurrum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I'd go with something like:

  1. Pilot + Gunner (+ Engineer in a pinch)
  2. Interceptor (+ Engineer in a pinch) - priority should be proactively dealing with threats, e.g. by destroying crewships, CC with Amesha's 2 & 3, etc.
  3. Away team - doing objectives
  4. Miscellaneous (float?)

 

Take out ships on the way to the objective, then take out ships simultaneously with doing the objective. If you haven't kitted out your RJ, I guess park it somewhere and use archwings? I did that all the way to/through Veil prior to ktting out my ship, but it's very inefficient. That's the strategy you use when you're still kitting out your RJ.

Later on, can't agree at all with taking out fighters first. Having a decently built RJ in a fight is better than another archwing. Crewships prevent effective use of the RJ. They force players to constantly deal with ramsleds or boarding parties, missiles or ship repairs. It only takes a few seconds to board and take one out, allowing your RJ to be used in the fight more effectively.

This is to the point where if I'm piloting and no-one is taking out crewships, I will hop out of the pilot's seat in the middle of a skirmish and do it myself before returning to pilot (unless someone else has taken over piloting in which case I will play take on the interceptor role). Worst case is I have to repair the RJ when I get back, Doing all of that is still more effective than parking the RJ away and going after fighters with an archwing.

Edited by schilds
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
12 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Doesn't really matter how much damage the ship takes, so long as the engineer keeps repairing stuff.

Yea, but its not fun being one guy who contantly has to run around putting out fires while everyone else does fun stuff like shooting or boarding.

I myself havnt got a better hull weave than the starting one yet, though it and its slot are maxed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
12 hours ago, schilds said:

I'd go with something like:

  1. Pilot + Gunner (+ Engineer in a pinch)
  2. Interceptor (+ Engineer in a pinch) - priority should be proactively dealing with threats, e.g. by destroying crewships, CC with Amesha's 2 & 3, etc.
  3. Away team - doing objectives
  4. Miscellaneous (float?)

Interesting way to put it all. I'd personally been seeing the away team and interceptor as kinda the same, but if you handle objectives and fight off ships simultaneously, I can see why. So you'd suggest one person be dedicated to fighting in Archwing outside the ship to lessen the load... I guess the Winged Avionics make that easier, if their range is enough.

I take it with that set-up, the "float" would handle repairs for the most part, but hop on guns when free? Of course, with Interceptor doing it's job, not much need for repairs.

 

12 hours ago, schilds said:

Take out ships on the way to the objective, then take out ships simultaneously with doing the objective. If you haven't kitted out your RJ, I guess park it somewhere and use archwings? I did that all the way to/through Veil prior to ktting out my ship, but it's very inefficient. That's the strategy you use when you're still kitting out your RJ.

Later on, can't agree at all with taking out fighters first. Having a decently built RJ in a fight is better than another archwing. Crewships prevent effective use of the RJ. They force players to constantly deal with ramsleds or boarding parties, missiles or ship repairs. It only takes a few seconds to board and take one out, allowing your RJ to be used in the fight more effectively.

This is to the point where if I'm piloting and no-one is taking out crewships, I will hop out of the pilot's seat in the middle of a skirmish and do it myself before returning to pilot (unless someone else has taken over piloting in which case I will play take on the interceptor role). Worst case is I have to repair the RJ when I get back, Doing all of that is still more effective than parking the RJ away and going after fighters with an archwing.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have no interest in parking my ship away from the action and just treating it as a glorified bus. I'm just wanting to understand how others do it, and I'm trying to sort the players actually doing and enjoying the content (who, imo, have a good idea of how to do the content) from all the salt. I've got Hull Weave and Bulkhead both very high, and I did manage to rush some MK1 guns (decided on Carcinnox and Apoc, but I'm still figuring out which "houses" I like better, and I see others like Cryophon a lot), so I charge headfirst into battle pretty much as you describe. Taking out ships on the way to the objective, then help out the away team with exposed radiators or whatever.

I hadn't really realized Crewships could be so detrimental to our Railjack, but what you say makes sense. I'll have to think about that from now on. And here I thought my habit of jumping out of my pilot seat to slingshot to a crewship was a bad habit!
I guess the fighters just had me really distracted, like a bunch of buzzing gnats.

How "kitted out" would you say a ship needs to be for the Veil? I've heard odd opinions on this matter. If I gather up RJ gear from Saturn missions, would that be able to push me through to at least the first mission to start collecting MK3? (I plan to tackle Saturn this weekend when I can devote several hours to it, I've just been farming the Galleon mission on Earth over the week for resources, for now)
I've mostly focused on Hull and Armor, because Shields never seem to last long enough to matter, nor get very big.

  

1 hour ago, chaotea said:

Yea, but its not fun being one guy who contantly has to run around putting out fires while everyone else does fun stuff like shooting or boarding.

I feel ya, but I've grouped with some who do enjoy that task. Don't understand it, but to each their own. To be fair, if the rest of the crew handles threats properly, won't be any fires to put out!

Edited by DrakeWurrum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Funny is you dont need any role and the fastest way to farm stuff is when everybody jumps out with AW and actually kill stuff with one guy piloting/looting stuff.

Hate sussies that sit in railjack doing literally nothing while im flying outside doing 60+ kills on fighters and boarding crewships (literally carrying whole team) while they think how helpful they are. Not to mention misisons with such players takes like 3x longer.

Side gunner is literally WASTE OF TIME unles you sporting mk3 cryo there or have someone with lots of skill, Engineer can be literally anybody who has more than 2 braincells (all you care about is breach, fire/electricity you simply igonre). Just get the perk from tactical to being able to teleport back to ship and you can do literally ANY "role" by yourself.

Also HP on your RJ doesnt matter much all you care about is the 50 secs invul phase everytime you repair hull breach. Shields are useless btw only the Zetki one that gives you 20% RJ damage when shields are depleted.

Just 5 cents from someone who is doing AW "killer" 99% of RJ missions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, Benour said:

Hate sussies that sit in railjack doing literally nothing while im flying outside doing 60+ kills on fighters and boarding crewships (literally carrying whole team) while they think how helpful they are.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you're running with crews that have terrible Railjacks and/or don't know how to aim or pilot. I haven't encountered a mission with anybody out-damaging or out-killing me from the pilot seat. Maybe that'll change once I go to the Veil and I can adjust my opinion then. 

1 hour ago, Benour said:

Side gunner is literally WASTE OF TIME unles you sporting mk3 cryo

Still not sure why everyone wants Cryo. I've tried it and don't find it as effective. Does that change at higher MK? I guess if people can't aim, it makes sense to make every shot hit hard for when you do hit...

1 hour ago, Benour said:

Also HP on your RJ doesnt matter much all you care about is the 50 secs invul phase everytime you repair hull breach.

Hrm... but from what I've seen, a breach specifically happens when your Hull reaches the minimum value. Your ship is essentially "dead" unless you can repair the breach.

But repairing ruptures and fires will restore HP. Electrical hazards too, I think, but those really only matter for shields (which... seem useless right now). So repairing ruptures and fires means less breaches?

I guess that begs the question... which one takes less revolite and is easier on the crew for finishing the mission quickly?

Edited by DrakeWurrum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

I feel ya, but I've grouped with some who do enjoy that task. Don't understand it, but to each their own. To be fair, if the rest of the crew handles threats properly, won't be any fires to put out!

While its fine that some people enjoy it, one person has to do it in any given match regardless of preference. Got into a match last night (admitadly match making only gave us 2 crew) but the ship was taking so many hits that after every invunerble period, it suffered a rupture all over again.

As for the crew, you can have a good crew, but if you dont have the right gear for each area you get battered.

I guess im just thinking that, while i understand that its built around the idea of a well made crew of co-ordinated individuals, if your going to let random people matchmake with the only requirement for a map to be that the last map was compleated (ive gained enough intrinsics from each map that ive not had to do any more than once so far) then some considderation should be made for less co-ordinated teams.

Just things like maybe giving you a internal ship map while piloting or gunning so you can see whos doing what without needing to dismount, or making dismounting instant for when you need to rush to fix something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
3 hours ago, chaotea said:

Just things like maybe giving you a internal ship map while piloting or gunning so you can see whos doing what without needing to dismount, or making dismounting instant for when you need to rush to fix something.

You actually can pull up a map of the internal ship if you press M (same as in normal missions). It'll stay there once you get back in the pilot seat. The only thing is that you can't bring it up from the pilot seat, so you have to get out, press M, then go back. But once it's up it stays up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
6 hours ago, chaotea said:

Just things like maybe giving you a internal ship map while piloting or gunning so you can see whos doing what without needing to dismount, or making dismounting instant for when you need to rush to fix something.

Open the tactical map with L.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

I split my time in railjack between (from most to least time/role):

 

Archwing Dogfighter:  Pheadra with automatic trigger, dual rounds, and magazine extension = bullet hose.  Amesha for the invuln and slow aoe.   I concentrate on anything trying to hit the railjack first, take some heat off. 

 

Crewship Killer:  I have gunnery 4+ and tactical 4, so slingshot to the crewship, kill it, warp out.   If someone is piloting all crazy, and I can't line up a good slingshot, I will just slingshot out as far as I can go, and then fly to the crewship in archwing, but it's just slower.  I'm pretty good now at avoiding getting swatted by the crewships, so I'm just annoying by the extra time it takes.  Killing crewships is my main priority, 

 

Objectives: bases, etc.   Get in, blow stuff, get out.

 

Side turrets:  Only if theyhave good turrets.  If they're weak apocs, forget it.   A lot of people have not switched out the side guns for anything better then the starter guns.   They're useless.  the leading mechanism, while realistic, is annoying.  Pulsars are some of my favorites now.   No leading, it's like a hitscan weapon, instant travel.  Aim at it, hit it.   plus they have crazy range, like sniper rifles.  Wished they had a better zoom, but I have learned to aim for the bottom corner of the red diamond, where the enemy ship actually is.  depending on mission level, I can kill several before they even close to shooting range.

 

Repair:  I warp back to the ship only if no one else seems to be do any repair work.   There's a lot of duplication in that role.   I either find a completely empty ship, some guy standing there doing nothing, or multiple people warp back all at the same time.   I think we all independently decide "since no one else is going to...".

 

Piloting:  Nope, I have decided that flying someone else's ship is rude as all F.  If someone left their ship parked somewhere, I respect it, and leave it there.  I have had too many drop in rando's hop in the pilot seat of my railjack and fly it right into multiple crewships and a dozen fighters, then abort the mission when they think the ship is going to blow.  In one mission, I had three random drop-in's do this.   I don't even think they were trolling, they were honestly scared, and left.

The only time I enter the pilot seat is if I recognize they have a gun on the nose turret I like, and I just leave the ship in place as a big turret, I don't move it at all.  A lot of people are putting their best gun on the nose turret so they can shoot it while flying. But even then I'm more likely to say, not my ship, leave it alone. 

Or, I fly the ship out of some insane mess after someone else flew it into the middle of a dogfight of 20+ fighters. (I always wonder if they're trying to farm intrinsic skill pts by letting it get hammered, and repairing it).  I ask first, and most times they are "YES! MOVE SHIP!". 

 

Forward Artillery:  I don't touch it.  I'm farming pustrels for research, and dang, those rounds eat a lot up. So I don't fire off someone else's ammo. I know it's only 100 pustrels to make 4 shots, but you need thousands and thousands for clan research.  I have had so many players hop in the seat and shoot the shots at fighters and asteroids, or just randomly into space, that I don't even replace the ammo anymore on my own railjack.  I leave mine empty.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Hi all I just got ship!!! But  hard to manage, so I tell them in chat, do whatever to run ship, out I go to fight and loot! :) like to take out crew ships, run in . wack reactor with LARGE sword and run out :) I am only needed to pick/navigate next mission. have done up to 5 in a row. 99% squad mate help out for everyone's benefit. It is a steep learning curve to do ship 4 diff station at once!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

It's absolutely stressful having to deal with public matching to find a crew, imo it's like playing Russian roulette to find a solid crew. I'm only making this complaint because I have been a solo player since I started so having to rely on people with different intentions is frustrating. PS IDC care what your opinion is on this forum I'm not here for feedback just expressing my concerns so FO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...