Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Game deleted 2/3 of itself?

TotallyLagging

Long story short, my laptop is plagued with problems like random crashes and screen statics.

One such crash just had to happen while I was trying to log in. Upon trying to start the game again the game was on a seemingly endless download, so I tried verifying my cache only for it to take forever too. Wasn't until I opened the game's directory did I find that I had a bunch of free space... And Warframe with only 12GB of files in it.

The game is refusing to download whatever files are missing right now so I think I'm just gonna reinstall. But I feel like this is still worth reporting? I've had my in-game settings resetted a couple of times due to forced restarts like this, but having 2/3 of my game files deleted just seems weird.

Edited by TotallyLagging

14 hours ago, -FrutyX- said:

Just one quick thing,isn't your HDD dying?

Maybe try some software like HDD Sentinel to check if your HDD is healthy and doesn't have any bad sectors.

But still,there can be a lot reasons why this is happening.

Checked with HDD Sentinel and it's surprisingly still healthy. Although I have no doubt it's already damaged in some way considering it's been 5+ years.

And yeah it could also be because of Steam since I've also had problems with games uninstalling in the past due to forced reboots

Hmmm,interesting,if HDD sentinel says it's OK,then it really should be okay,if you want,you can try "HD Tune", and perform a scan ("Error scan" tab),there is also a "Quick scan" too,in case you don't want to wait long.

Make sure you are running the client and the game as administrator (just locate Warframes .exe files and set it in properties).

Maybe it would be worth to check your laptop for any infections,download Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner and do a test in both of them.

That's hard to say,there could be something wrong in the system,first it sounded like a dying HDD (losing files),but now it's really hard to say what is happening (a virus can do it too,but why would a virus focus on WF?) ,anyway,what's your OS?

11 hours ago, -FrutyX- said:

Hmmm,interesting,if HDD sentinel says it's OK,then it really should be okay,if you want,you can try "HD Tune", and perform a scan ("Error scan" tab),there is also a "Quick scan" too,in case you don't want to wait long.

Make sure you are running the client and the game as administrator (just locate Warframes .exe files and set it in properties).

Maybe it would be worth to check your laptop for any infections,download Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner and do a test in both of them.

That's hard to say,there could be something wrong in the system,first it sounded like a dying HDD (losing files),but now it's really hard to say what is happening (a virus can do it too,but why would a virus focus on WF?) ,anyway,what's your OS?

I'm using Win 8.1. I've ran Malwarebytes and regularly scan my laptop every month so I don't think it's a virus. A HDD problem would just randomly delete a chunk of your file instead of targeting a specific folder no?

11 hours ago, kapn655321 said:

Wondering whether you verified through steam launcher or Warframe's launcher.
The steam one I knew to be problematic a few years back, and haven't used it since.
Figured it was worth asking.

I verified through the launcher. 

Edited by TotallyLagging

Were you thinking about upgrading to Win10 ? I mean,I used to be a Win7 user and I was refusing to upgrade,so I've waited,now I am using Win10 for one year and I have to say - it's good and I can't complain,it's smooth,think about it.

No reason to debate about viruses,they can remove anything,even half of your HDD,but that's clearly not the case atm.

Contacting the Warframe support could be worth it.

Let's try a few things:

1,Defrag your HDD.

2,Update your Windows via Windows Update.

3, Check your disk via Windows - https://neosmart.net/wiki/chkdsk/#CHKDSK_in_Windows_8_or_81

4,Make sure you are not running too much or not needed background apps.

5,Unistall any apps you don't really needed,then use CCleaner and clean your registry with it.

6,Do a system file check: (yes it's copied from Google,but it's accurate)

- From the desktop, press the Win+X hotkey combination and from the menu select Command Prompt (Admin).

- Click Yes on the User Account Control (UAC) prompt that appears, and once the blinking cursor appears, type SFC /scannow and press the Enter key.

- This is gonna take a while (depends on how fast is your system).

Let me know if you get any errors/problems,so we can find the cause.

EDIT : Download TDSSKiller , in "Change parameters" check boxes "Verify file signatures" and "Detect TDLFS file system" ,then do a scan ,if something,then let me know again.

EDIT2: If you want your system to be safe before you are going to do something with it,then create a restore point (google it if you don't know how).

Edited by -FrutyX-
  • Like 1

Laptop model?
CPU?
Graphics?

Maybe some software conflicts like anti-virus or any program not built into windows software? Clean install of windows should clear away nearly all of software that did not come with windows installation.

RAM going very bad or wiggled loose will probably make integrated graphics go static, lines or checkerboard, or just go blank. Bad or faulty RAM is risky, it might write garbage data to HDD/SSD storage or crash computer. This YouTube video search shows what it may look like with RAM removed while on. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=removing+ram+while+running