Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gunnery lvl 10

Gasau

I'd love to see a video from gunner position and with Cryophons. Maybe the aim assist only works for targets in falloff range (like the slingshot brackets).

Does the zoom on snap-on happen automatically?

Anyway, thanks for the warning. I will only go for Rank 9, for now.

9 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

Because game balance /s

Seriously though, there should be a way to install a subsystem that'll allow Railjacks to have some kind of missile defense system, be it a CIWS turret or two, a chaff dispenser, or a decoy launcher.

It could be easily balanced by needing to reload after a while.

The problem with implementing defense systems like chaff or point-defense (or CIWS) turrets in railjack is that you wouldn't know when to even activate it. In other space sim combat systems you usually fight against a single enemy target, or at most 3. In that kind of fight you have visual feedback on whether or not the enemy is firing missiles at you, so you know exactly when to activate the defenses and prevent getting hit. Even against multiple targets there's usually a voice cue from the onboard ship AI that tells you that missiles are incoming.

In railjack, there's at least  7-10 fighters engaged with you in any fight, and a majority of them (cutters) fire missiles. (not even counting crewships) The side gunners are supposed to take the role of point-defense turrets but without extreme amounts of skill you won't be able to shoot down missiles consistently. A Chaff-like defense would be the next best method, which i believe is taken by one of the pilot intrinsics that makes the drift maneuver break enemy lock-on. However, the railjack is a fat ship and you're almost always surrounded so even though you break the target lock on most missiles you'll likely just drift into others and get hit anyway.

Enemies take a while to kill so the 'kill before being killed' strategy doesn't really apply, making Amesha's 3 and taking aggro while on archwing a better defensive option. CC-focused Battle Avionics like tether and void hole works well but it's gated by resources and forging so it's not 100% reliable either. (and is a waste of resources when you can avoid using it by just focusing offense and defense via archwing)

All the above issues can easily be solved by making gunner 10's lock-on work like gimballed weapons. Because then the side gunners will be able to shoot down enemy missiles reliably and act as a decent point-defense turret. It'll still require skill because you'll need to aim at the general direction of missiles and enemies, but it wouldn't be as impractical as trying to perfectly track and hit a moving pixel while strapped onto a camera you can't control (i.e. the pilot's movements)

Edited by Fleuretty

On 2019-12-22 at 3:53 AM, AandOE said:

perhaps the projectiles launched could gain slight homing

You know what? This would be good. Projectile weapons: shots fired home in on the targets : Hitscan weapons: what we have currently. The snap is awful for projectile weapons but works for hitscan.

On 2019-12-21 at 11:35 PM, DrivaMain said:

Seems to be an oversight on DE’s part. 

if you want to hit something with projectile weapons you have to predict where the enemy is gonna be and shoot at the predicted location

Auto snap ruins accuracy with projectile weapons. I hope DE changed it next year.

but it snaps to the indicator not the enemy so i don't see how it ruins accuracy

while it feels underwhelming for 1000+ intrinsics it seems pretty good imo,it's no aimbot all it does it set up shots and with a good turret the 0.5 seconds is all you need but i guess i'll have to get it for myself to see how good it is

Edited by Cake_From_The_Future

so whats wrong with aim bot if the targets dead you would still need to point it in the general direction of the next target for it to snap to like mesa (after the ring has shrunk down to smallest) so why did DE make it have a duration of 0.5 sec? are the fighters that bunched together that when you are aiming the target snap will jump if it dies within the 0.5 time limit?

2 hours ago, Cake_From_The_Future said:

but it snaps to the indicator not the enemy so i don't see how it ruins accuracy

while it feels underwhelming for 1000+ intrinsics it seems pretty good imo,it's no autoaim all it does it set up shots and with a good turret the 0.5 seconds is all you need but i guess i'll have to get it for myself to see how good it is

I tried aiming to the indicator, it does help in close range combat, but not mid to long range.

16 minutes ago, PookieNumnums said:

If it was two seconds then maybe. But if its .5 then i am disappointed. It and engineer are the only two rank 10s that sounded worth. 

Inb4 5 minute cool down between remote repair skill use. 

Frankly I don't see much reason to go beyond 8 in any of the paths, and then only for the AW buff rather than for any of the preceding ranks. The juicy stuff is all very early on IMO, with tactical 4 being by far the most important.

Edited by SordidDreams

22 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

Frankly I don't see much reason to go beyond 8 in any of the paths, and then only for the AW buff rather than for any of the preceding ranks. The juicy stuff is all very early on IMO, with tactical 4 being by far the most important.

Agreed. Mostly

The archwing stuff looks useless. Which is very sad because i like archwing and as is the only thing you actually need or that is "useful" are amesha and the aw skills arent going to be the dif between life and death. The other aw skills will not become useful with the changes nor the other aw more viable. 

I really wish that theyd super buff all of it. 

1 hour ago, PookieNumnums said:

The archwing stuff looks useless. Which is very sad because i like archwing and as is the only thing you actually need or that is "useful" are amesha and the aw skills arent going to be the dif between life and death. The other aw skills will not become useful with the changes nor the other aw more viable.

I really wish that theyd super buff all of it.

I don't know about that, extra speed from piloting and blink cooldown reduction from tactical are very nice for just getting around faster. Extra damage and efficiency from gunnery also don't sound bad to me. And while defense from engineering might not sound too useful now with Amesha just being permanently invincible, I'm not expecting that to last very long once the devs get back from their holiday break. Overall I pursue these simply because AW is something I actually enjoy playing in Empyrean, so hell, might as well get stuff for that. As opposed to the RJ-specific stuff, which is useless to me since I'm probably never going to actually use the ship. I play WF for fast-paced movement and combat; AW fits the bill, but none of the crew roles on the RJ offer that.

If anything needs buffing, it's the rank 9s. Reducing incoming damage and increasing refinement yields by a whole 10%? For 256 intrinsics each? Yeah, no. If it was 75%, I might consider it as a long-term goal when there's nothing else left.

Edited by SordidDreams

On 2019-12-21 at 1:52 PM, Gasau said:

After reading the description of level 10, I thought - Wow is that aimbot ?!

After days of grind i finaly got it aaaaaaaaaaand....

1. Its work only with projectile weapons

2. the lock on works 0.5 seconds

Yes, you read it right.

All this ability for 512 Intrinsics give you lock on for 0.5 seconds. Its work the same way on side guns and nothing more.

Its a joke. I feel my self like an idiot. Farm days for a bad joke. This is the biggest slap I’ve ever got in this game.

I really like this game mode but its increasingly apparent that the balance needs some serious work. 

I luckely bailed out at 7, since i already noticed the rank9 one is just as bad. I wouldve expected the 'gunnery' be the side-gunner expert (like all others focus a goal), but 'drifting' to decrease heat and increase damage.. is a pilot thing.

From my view taking full engineering, then just spawn them homing rockets and craft more is a far better job for a 'gunner'.

And a long grind? Months is a joke, if you just roam the veil's all the time, i assume a week to get 1st done, month or so to get all to 10. But then again.. all the rank10s are kinda useless.

On 2019-12-21 at 8:52 PM, Gasau said:

All this ability for 512 Intrinsics give you lock on for 0.5 seconds. Its work the same way on side guns and nothing more.

Its a joke. I feel my self like an idiot. Farm days for a bad joke. This is the biggest slap I’ve ever got in this game.

I dunno. Seems worth it to me. Seems foolish to expect to get a full aimbot, and even if it weren't, why would you want that? Where is the fun in having a computer do all the work for you?

I don't like the concept of autoaim or having my reticle to snap around. I want to be able to aim for specific weak points on enemy ships without any automated systems interfering with it.

I would like to see the lvl 10 gunnery to turn the side turrets into a stabilized version (like on tanks today), so the movement of the ship doesn't influence your aim. For the front turret it should allow you to switch to a free aim, so you can choose to just move your guns on target without turning the ship.

• Like 1

The video isnt clear, he seems to no try to follow the target at all, if its the case, then its normal it fails after few moment. You want the ship to do a 180° when an enemy move from front to your back ?..

I think you are supposed to do is follow the target a minimum and the skill adjust a little so you dont miss your target by few pixels.

On the video, he clearly not move when the skill stop working, looks like there is a max delta that stop the skill when reached to me.

It should work like Glaxion i think, you have to aim a little for the beam (in case of the glaxion) to attach to the target.

---Edit:

I tried it, even when you try to follow the target, it doesnt work for more than less than a second. So yeah, not really usefull except with maybe zetki carcinox or vidar cryophon.

Edited by Oxxydo
After testing

Been thinking about and discussing this topic all week with my buds and just thought of this: What if rank 10 Gunnery functioned like gimballed turrets/Mesa's aimbot vision cone when you weren't aiming, and only for a few hundred meters out? Like right inside of each weapon's falloff range (which would actually make the Vidar Carcinox pretty broken with its 2km-4km falloff, I'm thinking just make the aimbot within the 400m that most of the weapons are effective at, or maybe just 200m, not sure since there's no indication of how far away you are from your target in normal flight), but when you're aiming it gives you full control and acts as more of a sniper mode for picking off distant targets. This way the dogfights don't drag on so long, as they shouldn't for someone who's invested the time and effort to get Gunnery to rank 10. You get something of an autoaim, which a lot of people who had initially read the description thought we would get without constantly zooming the camera in and out, meanwhile the zoomed in aiming is still skill based and precise for the players who would rather line up their shots, with the option to turn the "aimbot" on or off depending on their preference available to them in the intrinsics menu. I think that would accommodate everybody.

Edit: Maybe also enhance the zoom magnification at rank 10, that way the sniper pilots/gunners can actually get some use out of it.

Edited by (PS4)DEATHrocket777
Last-second thoughts.
  • Like 1