Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grendel, the all-you-can-eat-buffet-eater and you! A Guide to the eater of worlds as told by a grendel semi-main

Stickman949

Here's another guide coming at you, this time with big oni boi Grendel.

Congrats! You just spent hours upon hours getting Vitus essence and did the missions to get oni boi Grendel's parts and built him. Now equip him and have yerself an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Oni Boi Grendel was released in October of this year with the Old Blood update. Bear in mind, he's a big fat boi who loves to eat eat EAT. But what's to him that makes him unique and powerful? To understand him, you must know his story.

The story... told short.

Oni boi was friends with fast boi, fast boi would go in to enemy territories, oni boi would eat up people, blah blah blah. Want the full story? Go see his Levarian. So, you may ask yourself: "Should I team up with Gauss with my own Grendel for a powerful combo?" My answer? Maybe. I'm not saying yes, nor am I saying no, as you do what you want with oni boi. But as from my experience, I say team him up with whoever you wish.

How to acquire him

This boi is not an easy task to acquire. You must get 75, you're hearing me right, 75 Vitus essence, 25 for each piece key. My friend was nice enough to gift Grendel to me, so I skipped that grind, thank GOD. So, you're just better off buying him instead. But, if you want to do the grind, I suggest taking a powerful army into a Arbitration, maybe consider even getting a Grendel on your team yourself too. Just be careful, and get the best mods you can. Fulmin or Quellor will help you in the long run... even that... ONE primary. Those who done... THAT QUEST will know which primary i'm talking about. Just load up your weapons with the best crit mods you can find, and unveil the best crit rivens you can get. From the keys, you can figure out pretty much from there what you need to do.

His powers

Let's talk about his powers. The most important one is Feast. Feast will allow you to Vore snipe eat enemies and store them in Grendy Boi's stomach. Feast will lead into the other abilities in his kit. You can also turn Grendel into a shotgun if you hold his 1! But be mindful on your ability range if you really want to eat snipe enemies from afar. 70m range will help, but also watch your energy too, SO LOAD UP ON THEM EFFICIENCY MODS IN THIS FAT BOI. Any number past 10 will drain your energy faster than the sentients can snipe you. Speaking of which, if you turn on friendly fire in the simulacrum, you can eat all sorts of others! And you can also eat sentients too and barf them off the map! We'll get into that ability later. If you want to turn his shotgun version of his 1 into a deadly one, I highly suggest loading up on ability strength mods. If you ran out of ammo, or just basically wanna snipe enemies from afar with your black hole, go for your 1. Oh, and I almost forgot, his 1 is also a VACUUM, you heard me right, A FREAKING VACUUM. He can vacuum mods, resources, void reactant, even requiem relics (Not tested but i'm sure you can), up to you. Make use of your 1 if you don't have a companion with Fetch, or companion with Vacuum.

Nourish: Nourish will give you 3 buffs, based on what you ate. If you're too lazy and haven't seen the tips, I'll tell you here and now what they are.

Nourished Armor: Gives you a radial explosion of toxic armor if you get struck. Go for melees if you want this.

Nourished Energy: Gives you more energy from stuff you pick up... but if you have channeled 1 on, you're limited on that. Go for ranged enemies if you want this.

Nourished Strike: Gives your strikes a toxic punch. Go for Heavies or summoned units if you want this.

You can also give these buffs to your allies, so make use of this ability well!

Regurgitate: By far the best other snipe ability for Grendel. Use this to turn your ate enemies into a toxic projectile to launch toward others... or just yeet them straight off the map and into the beyond. Useful for getting rid of those pesky sentients if you don't have the Paracesis, THAT GUN, or an umbra on your team!

Pulverize: Turns you into a giant meatball to roll around and feel like Sonic in. A slow but somewhat sonic-like feeling. To get the max effect for this ability, eat 10 enemies.

Which mods should you go for when picking Grendel aside from ability enhancers?

Adaptation for damn sure, you don't need your enemies picking you off easier than Mario can die. As for anything else, GO WITH ARMOR. Umbral set will enhance everything for you, so stack that with Primed Vigor if you have it. Lots of health will benefit Grendel in the long run. Shields won't be a problem here. Go with Hunter Adrenaline, and also pick up a Arcane Energize if you have one. I myself don't have one, but kills converted into damage will help a LOT.

Any closing thoughts?

EAT. EAT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT WITH THIS BOI. And load up any corrosive mods on your weapons for maximum effect! Overall, I love this boi, and he's been... a 3rd main for me ever since he came out. Happy eating, Tenno!

• Like 1