Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Bad Of A Host Am I?

torint

Question

11 answers to this question

I find that the "lag" is not caused by the connection all the time, but also due to the excessive load on the host machine to keep all the physics/framedata in play. This appears to be limited by the CPU since before the new experimental multi-core fix, CPU usage spiked and framerate dropped dramatically on the host machine.

My suggestion is to enable "Multi-threaded rendering" in the launcher options.

I find that the "lag" is not caused by the connection all the time, but also due to the excessive load on the host machine to keep all the physics/framedata in play. This appears to be limited by the CPU since before the new experimental multi-core fix, CPU usage spiked and framerate dropped dramatically on the host machine.

My suggestion is to enable "Multi-threaded rendering" in the launcher options.

This is true. Sometimes a terrible host machine causes lag regardless of connection speed.

This is true. Sometimes a terrible host machine causes lag regardless of connection speed.

Somehow agree.

I play Warframe on the same machine (an Alienware laptop) but in two different locations: my own home during weekdays, in-law place during weekend. Connection bandwidth are different, my own home is 25Mbps, whereas my in-law place the internet connection is less than 1Mbps.

So far whenever I'm hosting any void runs, nobody complain about lag.

I've been wondering though. Does the peers graphical settings affect the computing load on the host? Like the physx particle effects? Seems unlikely, but i'm not sure how much synched the clients are in this matter.

As for the record: i have 13Mbps download and 0,77Mbps upload. It goes without saying that i'm a terrible host for anyone further than a few hundred kilometers. However, i do get people sometimes continents away saying that i'm hosting just fine. What the hell?

Your download and upload speeds will likely not be an indicator of how well you will be able to host games in Warframe.  Most online games send very small amounts of data over the internet so the amount you can download or upload in one second will not matter, it's the speed in which the packets take to get to you and to their destination (latency) that will matter more.

Therefore, check http://www.pingtest.net/ instead of http://www.speedtest.net/, you will benefit more from knowing your latency, packet loss and if there is any jitter (variations between the results from each ping) on the line.