Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shedu, a weapon design massacre

JonnesTT

I'm not here to talk about the farm, it is currently, toxic (maybe ad drop chance to the containers of that ship, dunno) what I'm here to talk about is the massacre of clashing incentives this sentientlegshaped piece of gold gives us.

My perspective on the Shedu

Overall, this gun doesn't feel like it's worth the investment, while at the same time feeling absolutely awsome. As player you want to be a bit more methodical than your usall soma-esque, while weilding this sentientleg of a rocketlauncher, as its damage share asks for actual body hits, and as a buildcrafter you can have a lot of fun trying out different builds, some function in ways rarely seen before. But with this kind of firerate, consistency is king and this gun just isn't consistent enough for everyone, even with multishot.

The ~40/60 damage split between hit and aoe is fine. Gives an incentive to actually hit the enemy I'm shooting at, effectively making it harder to use than other weapons. Or you're just gonna blind yourself and shoot it mele... I mean the reload effect is not gonna hit anything otherwise too sooo...

The elements are truly blursed - heat on hit with electric AOE - you don't know how long I was waiting for a gun that can run BOTH Corrosive and Gas in an actually usable split. (Which seems to be next to corrosive+heat on a damage perspective) However this gun is meant to be used against sentients isn't it? And sentients don't take status procs. No further explanation needed, you see the problem.

The reload... oh boy, if I've ever seen a designer have a stroke it happened when designing the reload of the Shedu. Lemme explain:
Magazine not empty: 0.25 time to reload, with ~0.3 seconds to fill mag so 0.55 seconds to reload fully, which is super nice, I'll practically always have ammo unless the enemies I'm shooting are tanky, oh wait sentients are tanky :D
Magazine empty: Gets what feels like 5 meter radius of knockback and sentient resistance removal. I've used the Shedu while farming to get my plat back... and it didn't hit the sentients, almost ever. BUUUT I'm increasing my time to reload by 0,75 seconds. I am almost trippling my reload time from "I don't even notice it honestly" to "JUST LET ME SHOOT" for... an umbra-wyrm proc ._. (It's actually 20 meters of range, i.e. baza falloff , so maybe extend the animation range to make it feel like it has more range than the paracheese)

It's crit chance goes up to 62,5% which is for me, not consistent enough as it feels like either all or none of my multishots are criting ._. however, I see that you don't want us to go for Hunters Mumu as it may otherwise outclass the gas build (and doesn't apply to sentients if I remember correctly)

The status chance... this is honestly my biggest problem with this gun... and I can't even say it's a design mistake as the players are going to run either one or three 60/60 mods, making the status near unbalancable. The Corrosive+Heat build goes up to a juicy 92.4% status BUT it effectively applies twice, which is absolutely gorgeous and for a semi slow gun pretty good so increasing it would be problematic... or maybe not even do anything... but the gas build... OH, BOY THE GAS BUILD. (Gas+Corrosive, y'know the thing that makes this gun special) With Vigilante Armaments AND Hammer Shot, a mod that currently costs 40 Plat and has the drop chance of a xiphos part I might add, you're going up to 78.6% status chance... 78.6%... on a gun that shoots between 2.5 and 2 facepalms a second and feels like it should one shot troopships.

Also, it feels like an archgun and acts like a secondary but takes primary mods... this is great... and weird 😄 but primarily great

My hope of buffs
Maybe I'm biased due to my high investment into this weapon (and my experience with mostly full auto guns...), but honestly this gun feels like it needs a few changes.

If you're a player, I recommend not actively investing into the Shedu unless it's gonna be needed to unlock the next sentient weapon *cough cough* as it is 100% going to be easier to farm or even just passively coming to you like oberon... -s in the future and it's honestly not able to compete with stuff like the Amprex (which you can claim by joining pretty much any clan), the Fulmin, which is, I think, in the market, any of the good autorifles and/or shotguns, for flippedy flop sake even the strun wraith (my baby btw) feels stronger to me XD, or basically any of the kuva lich weapons.

If the person reading this is a dev, hi, I'm glad I'm being heard ^^

I'd advice to make the reloads AOE a tiny bit bigger (!and look accordingly! ._.) and add the shots aoe dmg (!with mods pls! ._.) to it and I think you should take a look at the reload timers, cuz that just feels like a cluster#*!% of clashing incentives ._.

Then I'd probably ad a bit of status chance, just so we get the gas build over 80% maybe to 85% without investing another 350 plat. Or, something I've been wishin for anyways, another mod that gives status chance, toxin damage, + anything really, firerate would be really nice on this one, a tiny bit of multishot would be awsome just to get a solid +100% in general, or even 50 or so percent of crit chance? (In the other hand toxin+crit might ad to much to the viral-mumu combos ._.)

And this gun feels a bit inconsistent with it's crits, enabling the mumu builds might not be too problematic if the gas build is going to be stronger anyway, as crit boni apply to the toxin cloud as well, so maybe adding crit chance, either 2-3% to base or through a mod that has a more fitting condition than argon scope (dunno, I'd use the Proton Jet if it applied for a few seconds after the wall latch as well ._. that would also solve my problem with the status chance tbh...)

Honestly If you handed this gun to me as a secondary or archgun (with fitting stats ._.) I'd prolly have other problems as the mods and ways we'd use it are wildly different. *cough cough* I'm asking for a secondary that has exploding projectiles which act like the Shedus *cough cough*. Also, I've heard the archwings are getting an update, maybe if the archgun mods were a bit more balanced for... y'know flying we could use this gun on any slot with the respective mods? Ju-... just a stupid Idea 😄

(Oh and while I'm on it, archguns should feel more like the Shedu does on starchart lvls... y'know like heavy guns that bolt anything over ._.)

Edited by JonnesTT
  • Like 3

Edit: The Shedu NEEDS a damage bonus against sentients. Otherwhise It's just outclassed by stuff like the tombfinger. Or any slow firing hard hitting weapon ._.

Edit2: Why the floof can't I equip Terminal Velocity on Shedu? The Baza not using this mod to extend falloff was bad enough, but the Shedu literally fires projectiles ._.  Also Firestorm, really this mod isn't great on the Shedu (unlike certain other fast firing primary rocket lounchers), but at this point I feel like you just want us to not use those explosion radius mods...

Edit3: Did some further testing, apparently vigilante armaments provides more than infected clip ._. I should have tested that before. But using the unholy quadrinity of prerequisite mods, hammered shot, hunters kittycat, vigilante legments, and malignant farce gets this gun... what feels like almost on a level with the amprex (shred not primed yet so theres approx 20% of dmg I could ad to the Amprex still ._.) but unlike the Amprex the Shedu has a whole heavy gunner of ramp up.

Also, yes I am feeling like a bunch of bad jokes bundled up in a rough approximation of a human rn, so deal with it XD

Edit4: I'm currently using it, and the more I use it the less I feel like it needs buffs (I'm mostly using it on wisp so... firerate might scew my perception) (use the build with gas AND hunters munition if you're out for consistent high lvl dps or the heat+corrosive for "just die plep"), however alot of late starchart and sortie enemies can tank what feels like alot of direct hits (in actuallity it's more like 3-5) and I can't really trigger the knockdown on purpose which in actuallity bugs me personally more than triggering it on accident and having to wait.

Edited by JonnesTT

Am 23.12.2019 um 17:54 schrieb NoLazyShadow:

The only thing that MUST be changed with this weapon is bug fixing. Right now this weapon is simply unuseable - it can jam and become useless at any point of time during the mission and then you're stuck with your secondary and melee.

So, after adding another two forma to test through heavy cal (about as much dps as hammer shot ._.) I can confirm that this bug always occurs when shooting while the weapon lvls up, I think it was generally shooting. But It doesn't seem to happen when the weapon is at lvl 30 (i.e. doesn't lvl up anymore).

(as someone with near no coding experience I can say as stirdily as warframes is bugfree it's prolly an internal variable using the same name as a global one, what do I know I've made like three flash games in my live ._.)

If you bad reload mods it reload the weapon fast enough so you can shoot whit out reloading. That whit crit and hunter munitions is what i ran. But it does jack shait againts boarding parties. Migth still be drunk or just sleep but shedu Aint killing fast enough and im an idiot