Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

People who play gunner on Railjack, what type of weapon do you prefer?

CephalonDizzy

7 hours ago, Ham_Grenabe said:

Carcinnox usually. Something that can engage stuff in front of the ship too, if that's where the fighters are. Playing mosquito slap with a Cryophon as a side-gunner is not fun. 

So friggin true, I know cryophon is the "meta", but without an Amesha slowing them down it's too slow for me to enjoy it. I guess I understand if pilots like it though.

I want to enjoy the game mode and not deal with consistent overheating.

For me, anything with decent reach and that can throw a hail of projectiles at the enemy. Basically, Apoc and Carcinnox.

Everything else has either horribly short range or too slow a rate of fire to be effective.

22 minutes ago, BaIthazar said:

for god sake don't use Zetki unless you love downtime

THIS.

• Like 1

If I see Zetki anything (except for Cryophon) I'm not touching it. Sniping fighters one by one with slingshot/teleport loop is genuinely faster than trying to use Zetki Carcinnox/APOC to kill stuff. And it works on fighters with the bugged healing.

Also, keep in mind that projectile weapons and lead indicators get really unreliable with lag. So if you're even slightly laggy as a host Carcinnox is the bare minimum you should be using. People won't hit anything with APOC.

I think Pilot Cryo + Gunner Carcinnox is a great combo. Most Cryos people use tend to fall just short of oneshotting fighters in veil at various ranges. So spreading damage around with Carcinnox to reach that breakpoint can help you absolutely shred through fighters. Don't be afraid to spray around. But of course you can't do that with Zetki versions, have I mentioned that I hate Zetki guns?

Edited by LocoWithGun

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It seems the Carccinox seems to be the popular choice due to combination of range, overheat issues, and host-client lag.

Reason I personally have Zekti everything is because that's literally the only thing that will drop for me, and with a polar coil the heat is somewhat manageable so it overalls seems to outperforms the sigma series stuff even with its higher heat values.

Edited by CephalonDizzy

11 minutes ago, CephalonDizzy said:

Reason I personally have Zekti everything is because that's literally the only thing that will drop for me, and with a polar coil the heat is somewhat manageable so it overalls seems to outperforms the sigma series stuff even with its higher heat values.

It doesn't outperform sigma series.

As in that's not an opinion, that's a mathematical fact. At base with 0 bonuses for example Zetki APOC does 50% more damage while having 4x the heat build up. So over 10 seconds accounting for the downtime it will do the exact same amount of damage as any other manufacturer. Carcinnox is only slightly more efficient at 3x the heat. So with all the additional downsides of the overheat you get the net benefit of 0 extra damage over any significant period of time. If the gunner manages to mess up and oveheat at any point your overal damage goes down.

Now, things would be different if Zetki guns rolled +% damage bonuses. But they don't, they only roll fire rate so that means the bonus to DPS also causes downtime more often so any actual damage increases cancel out over any period of time longer then the active firing time before the gun overheats.

Edited by LocoWithGun

8 minutes ago, LocoWithGun said:

It doesn't outperform sigma series.

As in that's not an opinion, that's a mathematical fact. At base with 0 bonuses for example Zetki APOC does 50% more damage while having 4x the heat build up. So over 10 seconds accounting for the downtime it will do the exact same amount of damage as any other manufacturer. Carcinnox is only slightly more efficient at 3x the heat. So with all the additional downsides of the overheat you get the net benefit of 0 extra damage over any significant period of time. If the gunner manages to mess up and oveheat at any point your overal damage goes down.

Now, things would be different if Zetki guns rolled +% damage bonuses. But they don't, they only roll fire rate so that means the bonus to DPS also causes downtime more often so any actual damage increases cancel out over any period of time longer then the active firing time before the gun overheats.

Sorry, I should have made my position clearer.  I was more referring to the Cryophon mounted on my nose turret being able to reliably one-shot fighters in the veil, or at least have enough burst DPS to quickly overcome their healing rate.  With the polar coil I have installed the nose turret can fire 5 shots without the turret overheating if I spam it as fast as possible, 6 - 7 if I temper it a bit, which significantly blunts any attack run and by then the fighters would have zoomed past me. 

Of course, this is largely due to the luxury of me being the pilot / host so I know exactly how my ship is going to move. So maybe my bias for Zekti weapons spilled over to the side turrets..

Vidar Carcinnox MKIII is the one i like the most, and the one i have equipped on my own railjack. It has a lot of range, very little heat accretion, and shoots very fast too, accurate. After that, Vidar Apoc MKIII is also a solid choice for the wing turrets.

For the nose turret, and if im piloting, i go with the Zekti Cryophoon MKIII, has the highest damage of all, it overheats really quick, but thats why you measure your shots. It is good for taking down small ships that come at you from the front.

Paired with the right avionics, the Carcinnox are probably the most used guns for the wing turrets, and every time i go into missions with my own railjack, people that man the guns, always like my vidar carcinnox.

Vidar Cryophon all over. With the right Avionics, it hits like a truck and takes many shots to overheat.

Enemy Fighters will try to close in anyway, and get in range just fine on their own. I'd much rather be one- or two-shotting them up close one after the other, than have a chicken pilot who keeps maneuvering miles away from the chaos, and incidentally out of range.

23 minutes ago, CephalonDizzy said:

Sorry, I should have made my position clearer.  I was more referring to the Cryophon mounted on my nose turret being able to reliably one-shot fighters in the veil, or at least have enough burst DPS to quickly overcome their healing rate.  With the polar coil I have installed the nose turret can fire 5 shots without the turret overheating if I spam it as fast as possible, 6 - 7 if I temper it a bit, which significantly blunts any attack run and by then the fighters would have zoomed past me. 

Of course, this is largely due to the luxury of me being the pilot / host so I know exactly how my ship is going to move. So maybe my bias for Zekti weapons spilled over to the side turrets..

I did state that Cryo is something of an exception since that extra damage can bring you in the oneshot range of fighters so it's more efficient.

It's just the DPS weapons that are not very efficient at all. It feels like you're doing more damage in bursts but over the course of the fight it usually kills slower unless you have perfect aim. I tried it solo many times and I can kill 60 fighters considerably faster with Sigma Carcinnox than Zetki Carcinnox.

And if you're using Cryos as your pilot gun it's good to have Carcinnox (not Zetki) as your gunner weapon because then the gunner  can bring enemy fighters within your oneshot damage range as you close in on them and clean up any low HP stragglers as they break away that one of you would have to waste considerable heat on otherwise.

Then there's the fact that gunners make for excellent point defense if they take time to shoot rockets down (can lock down two crew ships at once if you focus on their volleys). This might not be that big of a deal with full Zetki hull/armor avionics, but it does come in handy from time to time.

Edited by LocoWithGun

I like the frost canons. They seem pretty fun for close combat. 

Been testing out two different ones. I kinda prefer the one that does more damage and overheats fast to the other one to be honest. Just because the damage increase is so big that i am guaranteed to kill the enemy in Viel within one magazine. My one that overheats alot less does liek 2k less damage so I find myself with a enemy with like smidgen of health and am overheated. So idk. To each their own.  Got em both on front and sides. So far my team mates seem to like them. Still want to test some different weapons though soon. 

I would say Cryrophon but Carcinnox is really good at blowing up those stupid healing bubbles in Vail. So on my railjack's pilot (nomrally me) get's cryo to freeze stuff/massive damage and the sideguns are Carcinnox mk3 so they don't overheat in 4-5 shots and can deal with those stupid bubbles. They are also very good at taking out medium-long range targets. 

Honestly I like pretty much all of the guns, each has their use but i wish we could have two different side turrets instead of matching  of one kind.

The only one I have a gripe with despite how much I love it is the Apok since for some reason it's rounds are SOOO much slower than everything else to the point your shots are literally entering the screen to the opposite side of your movement requiring a stupid amount of guess work if your pilot starts juking about any.

Double cryophons. With hyperstrike and crit mods. You can just use tether(or void hole) to deal with enemies by trapping them up close. It's by far the fastest way I've found to kill fighters.

Destroying an enemy far away with a gun basically guarantees  you're not going to be able to get any loot from it either. Until there's a way to tractor beam in loot you're shooting yourself in the foot by killing enemies far away.

3 minutes ago, zakaryx said:

Destroying an enemy far away with a gun basically guarantees  you're not going to be able to get any loot from it either

You know, I've been thinking they should make the codex scanner a onetime purchase/infinite scans gear object and they should integrate it with the railjack missions so you could use it's aim to locate items of interest, including the loot around the map. But what am I saying, that would be too obvious wouldn't it?

40 minutes ago, Megalomaniakaal said:

They are unreliable. period. Even without lag you have to shoot near/around the indicator, not at it. I'm saying this based on my own experience as someone who mostly hosts.

I think so as well. Having played War Thunder long ago, I developed the habit of leading the leading indicator, and I find that it works in RJ as well. xD

I use Zekti Apoc (Nose turret) and Zekti Cryophon (Side turret). I am using a full DPS setup for my RJ : Zekti polar Coil, Zekti Section Density, Vidar Hyper strike, Vidar Last stand. If Last Stand is active the cryophon will one shot any fighter except outriders on critical hit and the apoc will mow down fighters in less than a full clip.

Until DE Patches out crew ship healing buff persist after the crewship that casted it has been destroyed, I will stick to Zekti.

Everything beside cryophon is fine for me, personally using photor since at least everyone can hit things with them.

But honestly we don't need any guns... just a void hole and milati Mk3 can kill any amount of fighters in a shot.

Edited by Test-995

Anything that doesn't overheat in 3 seconds is fine with me.

The Zekti Apoc mk3-2 is a waste for example. It heats up way too fast to be useful. It can't be used as a burst weapon either.

The zekti Carcinnox is fine. It has a tolerable heat up rate and so does the zekti cryophon. And usually whever I play with more expirienced players they expect these weapons to be on the ship.

There were many times when teammates suggested me to get these two instead of the Apoc guns i used at least.

On 2019-12-23 at 6:47 PM, TARINunit9 said:

I notice a refreshing lack of "muh hitscan" compared to last week. I take it the Photor and Pulsar just don't hold up once you get to Veil (unless the host's connection is really bad)?

Pretty much. What little justification for bringing the Pulsar dies once you're no longer able to kill things in 2-3 direct hits.

Similar issue with the Photor. When the enemy is tough enough to survive the bombing run and the pilot is drifting to avoid damage, the pinpoint accuracy makes it harder to hit things, not easier.