Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Most of the stuff Cy says needs removing

AdunSaveMe

Commanders in the heat of battle don't waste time with dry humour and smug catchphrases. Cy should be telling us exactly what we need to know and nothing more. Just "crewship inbound". "Hull breach detected". That sort of thing. With all the extra fluff in his voice lines, and the apparent fact that transmissions can't be skipped or interrupted, Cy is talking CONSTANTLY, and by the time his queue hits an important message, it's already out of date. It's just a torrent of noise and barely any of it is useful.

Just save the sassy lines and catchphrases for when there isn't a battle going on, maybe?

Edited by AdunSaveMe
  • Like 9

Maybe 1 time out of 10 Cy will notify me of a Ramsled BEFORE it hits the ship. We need a status log somewhere on the screen, maybe even just in chat like a lot of games do.

The ideal solution IMO would be a little HUD element like a car dashboard, with relevant flashing icons and maybe a number below each dictating how many of that thing happened. 3 fires on the ship, the fire icon lights up with a "x3" underneath, and we can use the minimap to find their exact locations. Same for Ramsleds. New ships or crewship warped in, flash respective icons for a few seconds then keep them on if any of those unit types have aggro on the Railjack.

Pictographic displays are ideal for this sort of thing, in fact that's probably why dashboards are like that. Less words to read, less dialogues to listen for. Although having Cy say stuff would still be ok as long as the information is getting across properly.

Wouldn't bother me that much if Cy wouldn't be advertised as "a no-nonsense Cephalon who values mission protocol above everything" (Rising Tide news post).

Just now, YUNoJump said:

Maybe 1 time out of 10 Cy will notify me of a Ramsled BEFORE it hits the ship. We need a status log somewhere on the screen, maybe even just in chat like a lot of games do.

The ideal solution IMO would be a little HUD element like a car dashboard, with relevant flashing icons and maybe a number below each dictating how many of that thing happened. 3 fires on the ship, the fire icon lights up with a "x3" underneath, and we can use the minimap to find their exact locations. Same for Ramsleds. New ships or crewship warped in, flash respective icons for a few seconds then keep them on if any of those unit types have aggro on the Railjack.

Pictographic displays are ideal for this sort of thing, in fact that's probably why dashboards are like that. Less words to read, less dialogues to listen for. Although having Cy say stuff would still be ok as long as the information is getting across properly.

This. So much this. Everything at a single glance and Cy can keep his (sometimes plain silly) flair. Also, Ramsleds could use an unique indicator similar to Crew Ships.

• Like 1

On 2019-12-24 at 11:55 AM, YUNoJump said:

Maybe 1 time out of 10 Cy will notify me of a Ramsled BEFORE it hits the ship.

He was probably busy with some other "important" text.

I've had multiple ramsleds incoming - he warned me of the first, so I shot it down - only to hear a second later the other one striking the hull...

I don't really mind his "jokes", but as has been said, he should iterrupt himself if there is a second problem occuring. Or react on things that are done by the time he finally finished his text.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, [DE]George said:

We have some tech that we are currently working on that will help improve the way transmissions are played and prioritized... stay tuned.

I like the constant updates from Cy, personally. I think improving the prioritization is the right move.

• Like 4

@[DE]George Yep Cy does not understand science and space. Unless we are on a submarine, since when would a rupture cause an "Implosion"? Explosion maybe at best, but implosion? Kinda breaks immersion. Pressurised interior, vacuum in space right? Like a balloon, the ship might pop, not crushed.

Edited by CuChulainnWD
  • Like 1

A "Disable All Non-Important Transmissions" option would be amazing, could even have a separate sub-option to allow a line to be played just once so the player can at least hear it before it never gets played again. (This would definitely also apply to the login reward dialogue and syndicate menus).

Edited by Sean

2 hours ago, [DE]George said:

We have some tech that we are currently working on that will help improve the way transmissions are played and prioritized... stay tuned.

Yay!  Thank you. 

Deprioritizing less important things will help a lot.

But while adjusting prioritization, will you guys also be adding important transmissions/notifications that are missing? My brother has to tell me about boarders if he's piloting and I'm away from the railjack in any capacity. No huge deal if we're in voice chat, but we're often not.

And I've seen a lot of pilots complaining that nobody returns to the railjack when boarding events occur. Someone who pilots a lot may not even be aware that Cy simply does not inform anyone not on the Railjack about boarders, so it just ends up a frustration point for pubs. I don't need to hear the Ramsled warning if I'm not on the ship, but I really want to know about boarders actually making it on, no matter where I am.

Edited by Andvarja

Allowing interrupts isn't going to fix the whole problem. Some of the callouts that Cy use are ambiguous. For example "Unwelcome visitors inbound" should be changed to "Ramsled, unwelcome visitors inbound". The first word conveys the important message, and even interrupted we still get the important part.

Right now, Cy is not a viable command cephalon, but I believe he can improve!

21 hours ago, CuChulainnWD said:

@[DE]George Yep Cy does not understand science and space. Unless we are on a submarine, since when would a rupture cause an "Implosion"? Explosion maybe at best, but implosion? Kinda breaks immersion. Pressurised interior, vacuum in space right? Like a balloon, the ship might pop, not crushed.

Like most structures in Warframe, it's bigger inside, so what he's saying makes sense in that context.

On 2020-01-07 at 9:14 AM, [DE]George said:

To play off that and this post, are you working in ways to cancel messages when bosses die for eg? 

While it is amusing when you kill and a boss in a few seconds but he keeps going on about how he will win. But it really really shows warframes age when you don't have dynamic voice lines 

On 2020-01-06 at 4:47 PM, Iceyspy said:

Can we just have a " Turn off all transmissions " option already?

Really annoying getting redundant info in missions as a long-time player, especially when it's more DISTRACTING than helpful...

This is already available in Audio Options->Transmissions volume slider

On 2020-01-06 at 5:16 PM, Sean said:

A "Disable All Non-Important Transmissions" option would be amazing, could even have a separate sub-option to allow a line to be played just once so the player can at least hear it before it never gets played again. (This would definitely also apply to the login reward dialogue and syndicate menus).

This is available in Audio Options->Enable Hint Transmissions.  Though most of Cy's haven't been added to this toggle yet.  However, this will work for the more common game-wide Lotus transmissions.

30 minutes ago, [DE]George said:

Which only affects volume; it doesn't stop them from popping up and cluttering the screen and hiding parts of the HUD.

30 minutes ago, [DE]George said:

This is available in Audio Options->Enable Hint Transmissions. Though most of Cy's haven't been added to this toggle yet. 

I have always had that setting off, but I still feel like there's a lot of unnecessary transmissions that still play, like all the ones where the Lotus explains obvious mission objectives, i.e. guiding me, a veteran of five years, through every step of a mobile defense or excavation as if I've never done it before. I know you guys have to do it manually, and everyone's definition of "important" is different, but that's why a lot of people would rather disable all of these transmissions entirely, meaning no popups at all.

The messages where Cy's actually telling you useful things are also cluttered. Like, does he need to take five seconds to say that ram sleds are inbound? Cutting down on the fluff transmissions is great, but the informative ones have their own unnecessary fluff as well that just delays information. "Your lives are about to become crap dipped in misery" is funny the first time but after hearing it multiple times I just wish he'd stop at the bit where he says a boarding party is inbound. 

But anyway, it's neat that there's improvements on the way. I'm sure it'll help, like if they can be interrupted or something. Thanks for the response.

Edited by AdunSaveMe
  • Like 2

This is available in Audio Options->Enable Hint Transmissions.  Though most of Cy's haven't been added to this toggle yet.  However, this will work for the more common game-wide Lotus transmissions.

I too would love to see an option to actually disable all transmissions, not just mute their audio

Do you understand the difference here?

Im absolutely sick of having Ordis popup when Im in arsenal, Im sick of the queens "meat maggot" voicelines during Kuva Floods, and I dont need Lotus telling me "oh gee its the grineer" when Im already knee-deep in their corpses

But by far the worst of all - are the Operator popups - with such cheesy lines as "Couldnt the grineer have cloned something... less ugly?" and "FOR THE LOTUS"

Come on @[DE]George, I have faith you can do better, or at least give us the actual Disable All Popups option. Please and thank you

Edit - almost forgot the Giant Lotus Face popup that stays on half the screen and makes getting to the Ropalolyst nearly impossible- turns farming wisp into a nightmare. Pls fix!

Edited by (PS4)True_Reclaimer

my 2c on CY

•  Doesn't warn of most critical issues like ramsleds consistently - sometimes he does, sometimes not, sometimes after the fact.
  • Spams us with warnings of missiles inbound - when there are none - or if there are, they dont do anything.
  • Says sky is clear - when there are 20 enemy ships bombarding the RJ. and they aren't leaving or fleeing
  • Doesn't warn of boarding parties, critical failures etc if you are not on the ship - but has no problem talking to us when we arent there.
  • His face gets in the way of the tactical menu requiring careful positioning of the cursor (a pain with controllers) to get around it and actually select a tactical menu item.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, [DE]George said:

While you're bringing that up, during season 1 of nightwave Nora's voice lines were supposed to be added to that option (despite not being hints at all). But as soon as the first intermission started most of her voice lines started playing again regardless of the setting and have continued since.

though in general I feel like arbitrary non-hint chatter being added to a "hints" option instead of a separate one is very silly.

Edited by OvisCaedo
  • Like 1

Man i can't believe I'm the minority! Ramsleds inbound about to ring the doorbell! I never get tired of hearing Cy say it. He just says it in a way the resonates with me. Its not goofy ordis or Just a little longer Lotus. It's Bossman Cy!

I honestly love Cy's delivery and his lines. Maybe thats why i don't get tired of them as much.

Take them out wholesale. Love it! Ahhh, you guys!

Edited by Skaleek

53 minutes ago, Skaleek said:

Man i can't believe I'm the minority! Ramsleds inbound about to ring the doorbell! I never get tired of hearing Cy say it. He just says it in a way the resonates with me. Its not goofy ordis or Just a little longer Lotus. It's Bossman Cy!

I honestly love Cy's delivery and his lines. Maybe thats why i don't get tired of them as much.

Take them out wholesale. Love it! Ahhh, you guys!

I like his tone, but not his message - or lack there of. its inconsistently useful.  Doesn't warn of all ramsleds, tells us sky clear when they're not, spams us about non-existent inbound misiles, doesn't tell us when the ship goes critical, doesn't talk to us about ramsleds & boarders if we aren't on the ship. etc.. Its no wonder he lost his first crew.

As for his actual lines I don't mind them - although often wondered why he says they smell like a blown up mens room - is he suggesting women's * doesn't smell just as bad?

Cy is NOT a viable command cephalon! He himself has said this. I'd like him to remain imperfect.

Instead, allow us to rebuild one of his former comrades as a cephalon. That one would do the job flawlessly. We could swap them whenever (swapping would take an hour).