Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Newbie Thoughts; Ammo Packs And Rifle Mods

Tenzanar

I started playing the game at the weekend with a friend and we are really enjoying it but had a couple of issues;

We had serious ammo problems on the Captain Vor mission. Low level guns with no damage mods take a lot of shots to put enemies down and by the time we got to the boss we were both running low and ran out completely during the fight. When we did beat him on a subsequent attempt, we then had real issues during the lengthy fight to the extraction point as we blew most of our ammo killing the boss.

Now ammo is a resource and needs to be managed properly and the normal missions we could make do but for the Vor mission in particular the crafted ammo packs would be an ideal solution but they require salvage to build and we have no access to that. Making the packs craftable from resources that drop on Mercury would alleviate the low-level ammo issues and introduce new players to the foundry at the same time. The credit cost of the blueprint will restrict use of them for when you really need it.

The second issue was the lack of damage mods for the rifles. I picked up a Braton soon as I could and it was great at first but now we have finished Mercury, Venus, most of Earth and the start of Saturn and neither of us has seen a single damage mod for the primary weapon.

My humble Lato is currently my main source of damage by a mile with, I think, AP, Fire & Electric mods. My Ortho similarly has multiple damage boosters available for it but as enemy levels have increased the Braton has been reduced to a backup weapon at best. It is modded up with the extra capacity, crit chances, reload speed etc but it is taking a big chunk of a clip just to drop a standard enemy.

My primary weapon is nothing of the sort because it just doesn’t put enough damage down range for the ammo it uses. Is this right? Are we supposed to be mainly relying on secondary and melee weapons at this point? I've checked the wiki and all the places listed as dropping the damage mods seem a long way off :(

Run some surviral on mercury. Ive gotten the damage mod serration several times . And you can use it to stock up on ferrite the other needed resource fr the packs. Also mods are linked to specific mobs this helps to dilute the drop tables and increase the chance if getting the mod you want by running missions that certain mobs spawn in. Before everyone could drop anything mid and it was a pain to get what you wanted

To help a friend get started I recently mde a fresh account and am going full free-to-play with it, only playing solo when my buddy is not online. Your post could've been written by me, as I felt the very same thing: ammo is very scarce, and it doesnt help that as soon as Mercury the ammo drops are mixed, when you have to play those missions about 70 times total to have the money to buy a shotgun. Sniper ammo is just decoration, as there is no way someone can craft the Vulkar while in Mercury. Serves as motivation to buy Market weapons I guess, even tho by buying weapons you are essentially cutting down on the crafting aspect of the game, which usually leads to early burnout. But I digress...

Your best bet should be doing the Io defense in Jupiter (if you got there already). Infested are usually easier on newer players because they are melee-only, and you wont even fight Ancients before wave 5 in Io. Defend for 5 waves, and hope for a Serration or Piercing Shot MOD. You can alo find Point Strike and Vital Sense there, but I dont think you will be able to craft a Soma or Grakata very soon.

Now kill a napalm or bombard without good weapon mods.

Which I why I suggested Io in Jupiter. I agree with Krull completely, especially because I played those levels as a starter not 2 weeks ago. If you are still worried about the stuff the OP is, it is easier, and by a large margin, to defend 5, rinse, repeat in Io and pray to the same RNG deities. I dont know about the OP, but my free-to-play Mag has one damage mod for her secondary, one for her melee, and the closest thing to a defensive warframe MOD she got was Fast Deflection. So yeah, at least IMHO it is a million times easier to farm Io than Apollodorus a a starter.

Edit: Another reason... Apollodorus will give you Napalms one full minute before extraction is available, while Io throws Ancients at you only on the 5th wave, and they are 4 at most.

Edited by Dogoframe

Which I why I suggested Io in Jupiter. I agree with Krull completely, especially because I played those levels as a starter not 2 weeks ago. If you are still worried about the stuff the OP is, it is easier, and by a large margin, to defend 5, rinse, repeat in Io and pray to the same RNG deities. I dont know about the OP, but my free-to-play Mag has one damage mod for her secondary, one for her melee, and the closest thing to a defensive warframe MOD she got was Fast Deflection. So yeah, at least IMHO it is a million times easier to farm Io than Apollodorus a a starter.

Edit: Another reason... Apollodorus will give you Napalms one full minute before extraction is available, while Io throws Ancients at you only on the 5th wave, and they are 4 at most.

And the are ancient healers, they are easiest to deal with. And with Excalibur killing infested is a blast.

Tips aside, you have a very valid point TenzUK. The new player experience needs serious work all over. Hopefully when the Armour 2.0 update gets released it will make things less reliant on hard-to-find mods and even things up for you, but until then it is very unbalanced for newbies.

Wait... You just started playing and you already shelled out for a Master Founder's Pack? You sure have a lot of disposable income.

It's clearly a game I'll spend a lot of time playing initially and then come back to again and again. The Masters pack is about the cost of two full price games and if I get a couple of hundred gameplay hours out of it over the next few years that's got to be a good investment and its nice to support developers who make the sort of games I like. That way they keep making them :) 

Now I just have to resist spending the plat on warframes and weapons as I figure earning those is kinda the main point of the game :p

It's your moolah, which becomes your platinum, and you spend it any way you like, it's yours.

Resisting the urge to buy a warframe to try it is a solid choice tho, as you can craft them all by playing the game, the notable exception being Vauban (blueprints only come from alerts, so Vauban is the exception to "never buy frames" to some players, me included).

With your Master's pack, you got a shiny Excalibur and a shiny Skana, each with their Catalist and Reactor. Those double the MOD capacity in your frame and weapon. I mention this because of your OP mentioning ammo problems, as early levels drop secondary, melee and warframe mods (primary mods really start to come in Jupiter defense only) and your potato'd Skana Prime will be considerably more deadly than the regular one, meaning you can slice most of Mercury/Jupiter/Earth in half with a single charge attack of its blade.

On potatoes (nicknames for Orokin Catalists or Reactors), those are a decent investment of your plat. They only come from alerts, and they are basically a necessity for any warframe or weapon you plan to use regularly. To level your mastery rank you will have to take many weapons and warframes to lvl 30, so dont go potato'ing all weapons. Supercharge the ones you are planning to keep for good, or, if unsure, potato the ones that are deemed "solid" by players. Even tho some of them may not be your dream weapon, potato'ing an Acrid (considered best secondary if not best weapon ingame atm) is always going to be worth it, while potato'ing a Sicarus is only for those who love the weapon, even with its many limitations.