Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rocket luancher weapons - More dangerous than anything in the game

HelloItIsIJimbles

Heyo,

I was wondering what's the point of the launcher weapons, I seem to be able to do more damage to myself then I can do to the enemies and they are proving to be quite useless in close quarters maps. Im trying to level the kuva Ogris and I'm getting quite a few self inflicted deaths per level even when I'm trying to be careful with it. Its so bad I found just putting it away and using abilities and secondary's to be my main strat now.

Yall have any good tips on how to level this thing? Anyone actually use it as a main?

9 minutes ago, HelloItIsIJimbles said:

Heyo,

I was wondering what's the point of the launcher weapons, I seem to be able to do more damage to myself then I can do to the enemies and they are proving to be quite useless in close quarters maps. Im trying to level the kuva Ogris and I'm getting quite a few self inflicted deaths per level even when I'm trying to be careful with it. Its so bad I found just putting it away and using abilities and secondary's to be my main strat now.

Yall have any good tips on how to level this thing? Anyone actually use it as a main?

... I use the Angstrum... to blow up containers in a specific Treasure Room in the Void...

9 minutes ago, AandOE said:

There's a mod that reduces damage by something like 10%, but the self-inflicted damage by ~90%. If you're unable to find a mitigator, then I would recommend said mod.

Cautious Shot, an Arbitration Honors mod. When fully maxed (10 ranks) it reduces self-inflicted damage by 99% and reduces per shot damage by 15%.

15 minutes ago, HelloItIsIJimbles said:

I seem to be able to do more damage to myself then I can do to the enemies

Yeah, it can take a bit (or a lot, heh) of time to get used to estimating the safe distance from the point of impact,
to change your playstyle to not include close-range encounters / to gain the habit of automatically going Melee there, stuff like that.

But I for one find Launchers pretty fun / rewarding to use, not least, Ogris (regular, don't have the Kuva one yet, sadly)
just has such a nice oomph, and the Gas proc pwnage mine can do is not exactly puny, either 😄

Mind, I'm not saying self-damage weapons are fine as-is, there's loads of options for buffs / tweaks that would help make them truly competitive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HelloItIsIJimbles said:

Do not use corrosive damage or viral until you can use it without hitting yourself. Those two damage type just makes the odds of killing yourself skyrocket if you judge distance wrongly. 

1 hour ago, NinjaKitsune56 said:

Cautious Shot, an Arbitration Honors mod. When fully maxed (10 ranks) it reduces self-inflicted damage by 99% and reduces per shot damage by 15%.

Does that actually help now? Because when I tried it (pre buff) I'd still 1 shot myself with lenz anyway. My CD/dmg/multi-infested lenz riven probably isnt helping in that regard lol

38 minutes ago, LazyKnight said:

Do not use corrosive damage or viral until you can use it without hitting yourself. Those two damage type just makes the odds of killing yourself skyrocket if you judge distance wrongly. 

Hey you know what's fun? Viral + hunter munitions against yourself.

2 hours ago, HelloItIsIJimbles said:

I've been using mine quite a bit recently, it's nearly at rank 40 now. there's no foolproofing, especially since it's actually easier to suicide with the Kuva variant (no charging, semi-auto fire and a larger blast radius over the regular version), but there are some steps you can take to help:

- Cautious Shot; equip this mod and it will negate most of the damage. it's a reward from Arbitrations, purchased with Vitus Essence.

- use a tougher frame. Inaros, Grendel or Hildryn would work. I favour Rhino, and my Iron Skin often is high enough to protect against one point-blank mishap.

- use a Sacrifice/Regen Sentinel build if possible. at least then if you blow yourself up you'll get a second chance. I use Primed Regen and Sacrifice on my Taxon, it can revive me up to 3 times.

- know your distance. if it looks too close, it probably is, and if you don't feel confident that you won't blow yourself up, just charge in with melee instead and kill the enemy that way.

- treat Launchers like Snipers and keep your distance, sounds obvious I know, but again, the art to it is knowing "oh, they're too close, I'll melee instead"

- and finally, to make your Ogris more effective, grab the Nightwatch Napalm mod from Rathuum. since Heat Damage got buffed it can now strip armour, and if the explosion doesn't kill them, they burn to death. my Kuva Ogris handles the tougher level 90+ enemies in Veil Proxima much better with this mod. I dare say it's essential if you want to make serious use of the Ogris. which you should.. because rocket launchers are awesome!

• Like 1

If Zephyr or tanky frames aren't your thing, those with an ability to group enemies away from themselves, like Vauban, might be a good alternative. It also works especially well with a gas build.

Another small tip, The Ogris explosion deals full damage to everything in its 6m radius, regardless of distance from the center. When the enemies are too close for a direct hit but too far for melee, get used to always shoot something behind them instead (preferably ceiling if you're not on higher grounds).

Edited by Robolaser

I have cautious shot on every self-damage weapon that DE will allow us to put it on (save for the kuva tonkor/tonkor since the grenade doesn't activate immediately) and it's well worth it. I shoot myself in the face all the time and all I suffer are status procs.

Unfortunately, one of the most suicidal weapons in the game isn't coded to accept Cautious Shot: Zhuge Prime. With a half second delay on the explosion and zero arming distance to prevent point blank shots exploding (similar to tonkor, acceltra, akarius, etc...), that thing is super deadly. I really wish they would code Cautious Shot so we can equip it on any primary we like. (It can be equipped on the Ignis/wraith for f's sake).

Edited by z3us32610