Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Loot Boxes are back in Warframe

(PSN)trontor

Hello,

am I the only one who considers Empyrean Salvage drops loot boxes? You basically have to invest insane amounts of time (after dozens of Railjack missions I have only half the Titanium to unlock my Vidar MK III Reactor) or buy Rush Repair Drones for premium currency. And in the end I might get an item with a bad stat roll that is basically useless.

• Like 1

Me, about to argue against this point of reasoning:
speechless nathan fillion GIF

Huh.

11 minutes ago, (XB1)bioblaze10656 said:

I guess you could consider it a loot box sure but you don't have to pay for it. If ur on ps4 then us consoles haven't gotten the hotfix yet for the loot increases 

Point is... you can. Plenty of people have.

I guess at least now... we can see what the stats and RNG rolls are before we repair them? So in that sense, they're not.

Edited by DrakeWurrum

33 minutes ago, DrakeWurrum said:

I guess at least now... we can see what the stats and RNG rolls are before we repair them? So in that sense, they're not.

On PS4 you can see the general stats of the type of equipment but you cannot preview the randomly rolled bonus stats.

48 minutes ago, (XB1)bioblaze10656 said:

I guess you could consider it a loot box sure but you don't have to pay for it. If ur on ps4 then us consoles haven't gotten the hotfix yet for the loot increases 

The loot increase would help but is IMHO not enough. The PC players got an increase by a factor of two which would mean that after dozens of mission I have enough to roll the Gacha dice once. That is still a very bad loot economy.

In the meantime if DE wanted to help console player they could create a bunch of alerts with 10,000 Titanium each.

Edited by (PS4)trontor
Fix typo

55 minutes ago, (PS4)trontor said:

On PS4 you can see the general stats of the type of equipment but you cannot preview the randomly rolled bonus stats.

Well we can on PC. So... that was probably a hotfix, and Sony is a pain with their cert process.

52 minutes ago, (PS4)trontor said:

That is still a very bad loot economy.

Keep in mind they have explicitly said they'll address it after the holidays.

Edited by DrakeWurrum
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Also PC currently has better resource drop numbers than Console.

I've responded to that before:
PC has two times higher drop rates which is still very far away from being reasonable. I'm 5-5-5-7, completed dozens of mission and have only one Veil Proxima node left to complete. I've got something like 5800 Titanium. 11600 Titanium would of course be better but still not enough to build more than one MK III DoJo research. The drop rates need something like a ten times boost.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)xtharbadx said:

Sounds like somehow you lost the perception of what a loot box is? Or you haven’t played games with them. I have, and it sucks.

Go try a game with real loot boxes and you will see that it’s not remotely the same.

I have played games with loot boxes e.g. Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer.

And please explain why it is not same:

• A chance item with a small chance of something useful (also the chance part seems to be fixed on PC where you can apparently preview the contents)
  • Massive amount of game time required to unlock it (I haven't even half of the Titanium to repair a single salvaged items after dozens of missions)
  • Grind can be conveniently bypassed by spending Premium Currency.

This is a text book example of a loot box.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)trontor said:

• A chance item with a small chance of something useful (also the chance part seems to be fixed on PC where you can apparently preview the contents)
  • Massive amount of game time required to unlock it (I haven't even half of the Titanium to repair a single salvaged items after dozens of missions)

If you’re going to blur the lines like that, than everything that has some sort of RNG component to it and allows grind skipping with currency, qualifies as a loot box.

they aren't like lootboxes at all. the grind to build each piece can be a bit tough but if you actually care about your resources hold onto them and research into exactly what you want and build only that. lootboxes you pay real money for random S#&$ you dont even know what youre getting half the time except for the very small chance of the thing that was advertised for it. railjack salvage you know EXACTLY what youre getting when you go to build or rush it with a drone. 

12 hours ago, (PS4)trontor said:

Keep in mind that loot boxes also hide their contents so you don't know what you're going to get. This is to incentivize you in spending your cold hard cash on it... essentially allowing you to gamble your money for in-game items. A loot box doesn't usually have grind that can conveniently be skipped, it's more about a random chance to get lucky from opening the box, and not knowing what's inside.

Since you already know what the roll is, you're not going to bother spending money to repair it unless you're just too impatient to farm for it. You can't spend money to get more wreckage, either. You can with loot boxes.

Instead, you have to get lucky farming the mode and get a good drop that way. You can't spend money to get a better drop. (Well, maybe boosters would be an exception, but then boosters are the loot box)

Edited by DrakeWurrum

2 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Keep in mind that loot boxes also hide their contents so you don't know what you're going to get.

I've commented on this before: they do hide their contents on console.

In the meantime I've found a video which shows the current state on PC where you can preview the rolls. And that indeed removes the loot box aspect. It seems that DE has reacted to community feedback and addressed this which is good. I'm however still concerned how the initial implementation got through a design review in the first place.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)trontor said:

I've commented on this before: they do hide their contents on console.

And they don't on the PC version, so clearly, they're not intended to work that way.

There's no point in telling devs "STOP DOING THIS!" when they already have every intent to, and have already stopped doing this on the most updated version. That's why I keep repeating it.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)trontor said:

I'm however still concerned how the initial implementation got through a design review in the first place.

It's not like they were trying to make loot boxes, they just overlooked a lot of things that they would call "quality of life fixes" in their rush to get the update out. There's... a long, long list of things that need to be polished. I'm still shocked the update released in this state.

We got a beta version, it feels like. I know it's always a joke that this game is still in beta, but... damn does this update have that beta test feel.

Edited by DrakeWurrum

18 hours ago, DrakeWurrum said:

Keep in mind they have explicitly said they'll address it after the holidays.

Anyone know when the holidays end by the way?

I actually realized I don't have a timeframe for when they're back.

On-topic: These aren't lootboxes, they are just REALLY poorly implemented loot drops with low chances and comically large ranges that can easily be worse than stock researched parts, which shouldn't be possible and hopefully will be addressed.

27 minutes ago, Aldain said:

Anyone know when the holidays end by the way?

I actually realized I don't have a timeframe for when they're back.

I would assume after New Year's Day, yeah? If not that week, the following week, seems reasonable.

I just know *I* have to be back at work the day after New Year's at 5:30 in the morning. 😫