Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railjack Issues (from a 2K+ Hr pilot in Elite Dangerous)

Enexemander

I AM THE TARGET AUDIENCE FOR THIS MODE. 100% without question that is true. I have well over 2,000 hours in Elite Dangerous (space flight sim game). I've got the Hotas, pedals, VR, voice attack, etc. I'm committed to the game type.

If anyone is interested, here's my problems with it

1) The grind is ridiculous, and no I'm not paying you plat to skip it. Make a good game, and I'll reward you with additional purchases. I won't make additional purchases in order to try to make what you've created into a good game.

2) I have to fly well below my actual skill or else it's an absolutely awful experience for the gunners. 

3) Roll (maneuvers I think this game calls it) should stick. I hate having to fight the controls for the position I want. I know this seems like a small complaint, but it's really not. It grates on my nerves every second I'm piloting. Pitch and roll should 100% be under my control at all times.

4) The weapons and especially abilities don't feel strong enough even at MKIII (and the videos I've watched show that it doesn't get much better). 

5) I need a way to fire the Artillery as the pilot. MAYBE 1 out 10 groups I'm in I'll either have a gunner that goes to artillery or a boarder taking care of crew ships. The other 9/10 it's me killing the majority of the fighters while avoiding the crew ships, and then also me jumping out of the ship to kill the crew ships.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Enexemander said:

3) Roll (maneuvers I think this game calls it) should stick. I hate having to fight the controls for the position I want. I know this seems like a small complaint, but it's really not. It grates on my nerves every second I'm piloting. Pitch and roll should 100% be under my control at all times.

I think you mean banking and yeah the auto adjust to a virtual horizon is horrible. I think the only time I've ever encountered it in a game with flight would be with helicopters in the Battlefield games, mostly because they came with gyrostabilizers. It really shouldnt be part of a space sim experience, not even a space sim-lite like RJ.

The problem you mention for gunners dies out when they invest in their 360 degree virtual targetting skill.

As for weapons, the MK3 versions become really strong with the right version and avionics loadout. Granted, if this would be a real sim we wouldnt be bound by RPG damage rules, so the weapons would be more effective since we'd be able to fire on weakspots more often and probably be able to blow ships up by hitting engines and other things. That is however something I doubt will make its way to RJ aside from the minelayer ships that you can blow up easily through weakpoint targetting.

I do fully agree that the roll and auto adjust needs to be change so we get free fluid movement without the game telling us "I wanna go thata way!".

The current absurd grinds are most likely to buy them time while they work on these more ambitious projects.
We've had a whole lot of folks real grumpy about buggy updates (as if that was new,) so if they have to stall, I
can understand that... so I'm holding out expectations for After those releases for a drop in RNG. They
intended the body of this content to be done in months, not weeks.. and regardless of the drop rates and bugs,
folks are still beating it faster than they can release updates.

You are a perfect example of the kind of user who this content is made for. Granted, it's going to be a bit more
user friendly in it's design than those others.. while oddly being way less user friendly in it's combat.. again,
many folks complaining this game is pathetic easy,so whatchya gonna do?

The weapons and RNG both are part of the necessary slow drip required to sustain them while they work.
It's absolutely not a perfect game feel... but folks get by regardless, and despite our dis-satisfaction, people 
keep engaging with it and giving hours to the void.. which is realistically how they have to measure success.
There's room to grow and refine, and we're all real nervous about how it will.

The feedback about the shortcomings between your piloting and gunner's experience is a great point.
I wonder if they have plans for that, or time to have plans for that.. since 2 more main story lines are on the
horizon.. and no doubt are consuming their development. The experience could improve, as it always could,
but in a few areas in particular. As for the rest, I think it's more a matter of not having a choice due to time
and budget constraints, than any willfully ignorance or incompetence.  imo

Glad to have your thoughts on this. Be sure to post in the feedback thread related to Empyrean and Railjack,
aswell. You'll be on the more experienced end of the spectrum of players entering into this kind of gameplay,
and your perspective will be helpful.

Edited by kapn655321

56 minutes ago, Enexemander said:

I AM THE TARGET AUDIENCE FOR THIS MODE. 100% without question that is true.

3) Roll (maneuvers I think this game calls it) should stick. I hate having to fight the controls for the position I want. I know this seems like a small complaint, but it's really not. It grates on my nerves every second I'm piloting. Pitch and roll should 100% be under my control at all times.

You're probably not, and I'm assuming this won't happen.

They tried experimental controls with Archwing, and it didn't help its popularity. Last I heard was that they want to make one set of controls and do that as well as possible (read: maybe iterations on what we have now).

It's very likely they're aiming for broad appeal, and I guess that implies having a "default plane", even if I agree that it makes little sense in space.

3 minutes ago, Kontrollo said:

They tried experimental controls with Archwing, and it didn't help its popularity. Last I heard was that they want to make one set of controls
It's very likely they're aiming for broad appeal, and I guess that implies having a "default plane", even if I agree that it makes little sense in space.

This.

DE was also psyched to have a full range of motion and, what did they call it.. 6 degrees or movement or something?
They'd have much rather done that, but archwing wound up bleeding them dry for all the effort it cost them. So now it
has to homogenize, or else they're stuck throwing money at it for it to be ultimately inaccessible to players who just
came here for the looter shooter, and didn't sign up for a flight sim. ...which is seriously distressing, but it's either that,
it's removed, or they go broke trying to make a niche design work on a broad scale. At least for now.

If they can get a solid system that nearly everyone can work with, I can see them putting in the niche later, as the old
control schemes will still exist somewhere on a backup drive at the office.. no sense in wasting it if it doesn't interfere
with budget. ...I would hope they make separate archwing modifications for users who prefer the old style.
Something like one of the regular mods with an augment feature, if possible., As for the Railjacks, most likely not,
at least not for considerably longer... they never had the archwing control scheme as far as I know, so they wouldn't
be able to just retro-fit it with existing code, unless they had already done it, and changed course several months back.