Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should we be able to name our Operator?

-Krism-

3 minutes ago, CopperBezel said:

You can take the Operator entirely out of the question and it stands.

The game did not give you an opportunity to name "yourself in the game", it gave you an opportunity to name your account.

I agree with DeMonkey - I can't see a way to get around that you're being deliberately difficult. 

Yeah. You set that name as an account name somewhere, and the game kinda blindsides you with the fact that it's your character's name. I'm pretty sure it's meant to come as a surprise when bosses taunt you with it. I just don't understand the hostility and defensiveness.

It doesnt make sense, you can just pay plat if for some reason you dont like your account name that you choosed yourself...

Just now, DeMonkey said:

That the question hinges on decoupling account name and character name.

Why are you being so obtuse? You're smarter than this, I've seen you enough to know that this failure to understand is deliberate, not accidental.

Following the ops responses the focus seems entirely on just having the option at all and their ignorance of it already being a feature. At this point you're just making your own separate argument specifically aimed at me, for a reason I'm not sure of. 

2 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

Following the ops responses the focus seems entirely on just having the option at all and their ignorance of it already being a feature

No, their focus is on separate Operator names being an addition to the game. Separate Operator names are not currently a feature.

3 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

At this point you're just making your own separate argument specifically aimed at me, for a reason I'm not sure of. 

I am not, I am attempting to get you to actually understand the really simple thread. I realise my attempts are futile because you actively don't want to, but I'm trying all the same for the sake of a constructive discussion.

1 minute ago, Duskham said:

and the game still calls me by my ingame name

Then, given the option, just name your character Duskham. Simple.

• Like 3

Just now, DeMonkey said:

No, their focus is on separate Operator names being an addition to the game. Separate Operator names are not currently a feature.

I am not, I am attempting to get you to actually understand the really simple thread. I realise my attempts are futile because you actively don't want to, but I'm trying all the same for the sake of a constructive discussion.

Then, given the option, just name your character Duskham. Simple.

But that is my character name already :S

Just now, Duskham said:

But that is my character name already :S

Show me a screenshot with an entry for "Choose your Character Name," "Name Your Character" or even a flat "Name" when creating the account, beginning to play or any point during play. Until then, I'm just assuming you are a troll if you insist on that pseudo-argument.

• Like 1

Just now, DeMonkey said:

You are, you have fabricated a new argument that I was not responding to, claimed it as the initial argument which it is not, and keep pressing on me as being the disingenuous one when that is wholly what your place is in this topic. 

I don't know what your issue is here, maybe you just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today or something, but I'm not going to continue to entertain this entirely in bad spirit line of inquiry. Have a better tomorrow. 

6 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

which it is not

You're welcome to check with the OP (original poster) if you believe I have misrepresented their OP (original post).

6 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

I don't know what your issue is here, maybe you just woke up on the wrong side of the bed today or something, but I'm not going to continue to entertain this entirely in bad spirit line of inquiry. Have a better tomorrow. 

Projection much?

Edited by DeMonkey
Clarity
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, xBloodySin said:

Show me a screenshot with an entry for "Choose your Character Name," "Name Your Character" or even a flat "Name" when creating the account, beginning to play or any point during play. Until then, I'm just assuming you are a troll if you insist on that pseudo-argument.

e2KOWcl.png

lol

and no, i'll not create another account to see if it repeats itself somehow on steam :v but my steam name is different from my in game name. (consoles... idk)

Edited by Duskham

If the Operator's going to have a name separate from the account, we shouldn't be able to set it.   It should simply be a fixed name, because that way it can exist in the voice acting, instead of being a text value that is never actually used in anything important.  Also avoid loads of possible confusion, since a player would still be identified with a single name.

To anyone pretending that your account name is your character name (instead of the game just using your account name as a stand-in for your character name), let me try to shut down this ridiculous assertion by acknowledging the following: you cannot put a space in your account name. Therefore, it is not sufficient to serve as your character name.

Furthermore, how does something like this hurt you all? Are you all so offended by the thought of someone naming themselves something other than their account name? Are you afraid that someone will pick your account name as their character name? Are you afraid you'll be locked out of using your account name as a character name because someone chose it first? Are you lazy that you don't want to take the time to type a character name?

For most of those questions, it would work the same way naming currently works for weapons, your companion, and the Railjack: No, you won't be locked out of using a name. If someone happens to use the name you're using for your account, guess what? People share the same name in real life. It's not that big of a deal. It wouldn't replace your account name, so people will still respond to your account name.

And, again, the moment DE says they're adding this feature, all you naysayers will praise DE for adding the feature. You all did the same thing with open worlds: complained about adding them for years, then praised DE for adding them, even though they're the worst-designed open worlds in the gaming industry.

41 minutes ago, Aadi880 said:

So you predicted the contents of the second dream before you installed warframe? Nice!

Since you obviously weren't around from the beginning, I'll explain what the original lore was. Originally, the lore was that the Tenno were descendants from an ancient warrior culture on Earth and were the masters of the Warframe armor. The idea was that the Orokin built the Warframes around the Tenno, almost as a shell, so they were encased in armor. The Tenno have never been the exact same thing as the Warframes. They have always been separate. The only thing we didn't know was how they operated the Warframes, and that was only a question once we started getting frames that didn't match normal human anatomy, like Nekros (and how bone-thin he is) and Oberon.

Edited by TheGildedOni

2 minutes ago, Phatose said:

If the Operator's going to have a name separate from the account, we shouldn't be able to set it.   It should simply be a fixed name, because that way it can exist in the voice acting

Whilst I don't expect that to happen at all, it would be pretty cool.

One of the things I liked about Fallout 4 however was that there was a hidden list of names included in the voice acting. Potentially we could have a list to pick from.

7 minutes ago, CopperBezel said:

lol indeed. What do you think "username" means exactly? X / I think this is exactly where communication is breaking down, assuming you're not just doing this so you don't have to back down etc.

"username in Warframe" = your ingame name

and i'm not making this up 😕 you can go to the sign up page yourself...

Edited by Duskham

That's not possible interpretation of that phrase. What user? You are the user. You are not in the game. You're being silly.

31 minutes ago, Aadi880 said:

You meet ordis AFTER you make your name. You can't guess what you are when you are put in the starter warframe selection screen.

Sorry about this, by the way - I Shift+Entered when I meant to line break, and there were additional replies by the time I clicked "edit" to add the rest of my post, which became the bulk of my next one instead.

Both things are true. Your character name has always been your character name regardless of operators, but it is also taken from your account name without ever asking, as an attempt to spook you in a couple of (old) boss fights. There was a lot less RPG in this MMO at the point in time that decision was made, and your character's name was a lot less relevant. Now it's a game with a character creator, skill trees, and scads of named characters. The one is no longer consistent with the other.

10 minutes ago, Duskham said:

e2KOWcl.png

lol

and no, i'll not create another account to see if it repeats itself somehow on steam :v but my steam name is different from my in game name. (consoles... idk)

Did you even read it before posting? "Username in Warframe." "Reserves the right to ban any account/alias deemed offensive."

Or now you're going to say username is "just name in the Warframe future" to try to keep on trolling?

Edited by xBloodySin

1 hour ago, DeMonkey said:

Because allowing a name change isn't a "service" and has been shown to be easily done by other companies who allow as many name changes as you want free from monetisation.

That's "why" it should be free. Not saying that it's ever actually going to be that way, of course.

My problem is not with the name change service. Which is what you are focusing on, but that they don't remove inactive account names. My name had an extra letter at the end and after a year I requested for the name (minus 1 letter). In this instance, the additional cost was because of their account management where anyone can make tons of accounts for a free-to-play and not a change in name preference. In instances like this it should have been free since the issue was on their management. 

That said, I will still give them props for even having the service, the willingness to free up the "Saved named", and the ability to do it with a currency obtainable via in game trading. 

1 hour ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

But my profile name is my profile name, I want my Operator specifically to have a normal name e.g. Name, Surname

Unless you are on console (which I don't play and can't respond to), the name which is shown on forums, account, and every where else is all the same. My comment still stand as you are making no sense. The name is who is the player controlled figure. Which during lore you understand frame and operator are the same. There is no reason for those to be different. 

Edited by Zelmen

6 minutes ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

Ingame name =/= Character name

This is not correct, and the OP is falling into the same false assumption. Several characters address us in their dialogues using our usernames, so, lorewise, that is the name of our character. Lorewise, our character is the tenno operator who commands all of our warframes; and since  we dont have  multiple characters, he/she is the 'personification' of our account. Like it or not, that nickname is how your tenno is identified.

And to directly answer the OP's question, if you ask me, i don't think having a separate name for our operator would make much sense, for the reasons already stated  above.

Edited by General-Pacman

4 minutes ago, Duskham said:

Uh, no? every game that has a ingame name is your character name, unless it is stated otherwise...

I don't know how you're getting "ingame" from "username". Is it the use of the preposition "in"? It's emphatically not "in-universe", because the word "user" is deliberately and explicitly out of universe. What preposition would you have preferred? Because that's what we're hanging on now if we want to play pretend that you were naming anything but a user account and gamer tag there.

5 minutes ago, Duskham said:

Uh, no? every game that has a ingame name is your character name, unless it is stated otherwise...

The text box doesn't say "ingame name", it says "username". The name used to identify the user of the game, not the character within the game. Username =/= character name.

Plenty of games and platforms have a "username" and separate "character names".

3 minutes ago, General-Pacman said:

Several characters address us in their dialogues using our usernames, so, lorewise, that is the name of our character

Bringing lore arguments into this... holy.

Text can be changed, you know? It doesn't take 5 seconds to stop the line pulling your account name, and pulling a chosen name instead.

• Like 1