Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should we be able to name our Operator?

-Krism-

I get OP's point and don't understand why people are against it. You know like Superman it's a title, but his public identity is Clark Kent and his real name is Kal-El, thing like this.

If only people actually are against RNG non sense like this we wouldn't be getting Kuva Lich cr@p.

Edited by Marvelous_A
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, (XB1)Rust Plague said:

That doesn't explain why it's needed. Name your operater what ever you want, why does it have to be displayed? In the context of the game we are tenno. Not Fred or Toby. However, Tenno names are largly irrelevant. Little duck and Onko are the only characters who require operater engagement and neither care about a personal relationship with the operator. Names don't matter. Nothing is stopping any of you from naming your operator spinach salad if you want. Just do it. It matters not in the grand sceme of the game. Do you really have to have it displayed?

No i dont need to display the rp name of my tenno. Never advocated that we need that.

As i pointed out in my posts. We can just make up our headcannon.

Just pointing out the mentality of "x  character is you" doesn't apply to everyone.  

Overall the operater character creator and that will really add worth and maybe a reason to officially name them.

Edited by (PS4)Kakurine2

tl;dr the arguments for are: I'd use it, sounds cool

arguments against are: I won't use it 'cause I don't see the point

But if you won't use it, just put your Account name like it already is & you're done, let us who like it use it, it won't impact your game in a  negative way after all

• Like 2

15 hours ago, General-Pacman said:

And for what purpose? To have a name to identify our operators

To have a different name to identify our Operators. I am De Monkey. Me. That's my username, the name of the user, me. I. Not the name of the characters I play in Video games.

Your accusations that others are trolling are hilariously ironic, given no one is actually dumb enough to have not figured out by now what the thread is asking.

• Like 2

Read page one skipped to page 9 

My Tenno is me and only me therefore he didn't need "a Name of his own"............................................................... until I made a second acct to have a fresh start last year.

New Tenno was referred to as Jnr until I decided I wanted them to have more individuality.  So I named them, that way when I'm talking about who I'm playing or bringing to a mission my friends have a label to hang on it.

So I understand where the Op is coming from, but does said Tenno need a name slot?  As long as I know and my friends know who "Marc" or "Dana" is, does it matter if RandomPug454 knows what my Operator name is?  

All they need to know which guy Sabreracer is.

2 minutes ago, Sabreracer said:

Read page one skipped to page 9 

My Tenno is me and only me therefore he didn't need "a Name of his own"............................................................... until I made a second acct to have a fresh start last year.

New Tenno was referred to as Jnr until I decided I wanted them to have more individuality.  So I named them, that way when I'm talking about who I'm playing or bringing to a mission my friends have a label to hang on it.

So I understand where the Op is coming from, but does said Tenno need a name slot?  As long as I know and my friends know who "Marc" or "Dana" is, does it matter if RandomPug454 knows what my Operator name is?  

All they need to know which guy Sabreracer is.

Refer to my last post, 'cause you have the same argument as the others that are against it

While this sounds like a cute idea, the profanity blocking system in place, will make naming your "child" will be horrible, as some names will be either blanked out or overall not even be used due to "Non-English" as X-to-English translation can really mess things up.

Simple way to do it, is not allow them to name. As given the age of the "Tenno" on top of that, it's quite a hot topic.

Edit: Not sure what the rules of shareing your real name is, so I'll hold off putting my actual name down, but I can alteast tell the meaning, (one I wish to change it to) has a meaning of "Demon" so, taken out of Context, it may be not allowed.

Edited by Circle_of_Psi

15 hours ago, General-Pacman said:

Yeah, i understood that much. I do get WHAT are you suggesting; but the WHY still eludes me. Or actually, it feels like you are deliberately avoiding the question.

In that dumb joke i just made, someone is suggesting to add a weapon that looks like a polearm, and does the same things than a polearm... but it's not a polearm.

In this thread you are suggesting we should have a separated name for our operators. A name that would look like an account name looks, and that we would use like an account name is currently used ... but it's not an account name.

So...  what's the point?

The point:

Your account name in one sense is an intrusion into the immersion/entertainment experience.

It is a Real Life ID tag for your account, assigned to your Operator avatar to identify the RL user, but has no real place in the lore of the Tennoverse unless the two names are one in the same.

Thanks.

My simple “choice” suggestion:

Silverback73

vs

(Silverback73)

Operatornamehere

From a business perspective:  25 plat as per name change for pets.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

Refer to my last post, 'cause you have the same argument as the others that are against it

Actually I have no strong leaning either way.  

I understand why you would like it and I understand why others don't consider the idea worthwhile.

I offered my thoughts on it.

If you have worked out some detailed backstory on who your Tenno is, then all power to you. 

If you think that many or any will care then write it up and post it in the off topic roleplay section.

If you feel that you want to show your Tenno's name instead of Xenon_IIz-ot pay 200 Plat and change it if it's available. 

6 minutes ago, Sabreracer said:

If you feel that you want to show your Tenno's name instead of Xenon_IIz-ot pay 200 Plat and change it if it's available. 

I already changed my pseudo right before the Second Dream was released, so I don't really intend to change it anytime soon, I like it how it is to describe myself, it just doesn't describe my Operator

• Like 1

On 2020-01-03 at 6:24 AM, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

tl;dr the arguments for are: I'd use it, sounds cool

arguments against are: I won't use it 'cause I don't see the point

But if you won't use it, just put your Account name like it already is & you're done, let us who like it use it, it won't impact your game in a  negative way after all

Naming your operator won't enhace the experience in any way. At best it would be nothing but, another novelty with no real purpose. You and those that agree with you, fail to give a solid well thought out reason to add such a feature beyond your own selfish need. It has nothing to do with usage of said feature and everything to do with your ego.

Just because it's minor and therefore something you think that should be added, doesn't mean it would be easy to implement. Doesn't mean it's hard either, just tedious and time consuming. Time better spent else where. 

Just name your operator what ever you want and refer to them as such. You don't need the naming mechanic to do that. Just a little imagination. You do have that at least? I hope.

It's not that it's a bad idea, just a pointless one. I prefer DE work on more important things, like the metric ton of bugs Empyrean brought with it. A naming mechanic would take time and resources away from such things, all because you want it. 

I'm not being negetive, I'm being practical. 

Edited by (XB1)Rust Plague
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

Do you really think DE are so incompetent that it would take a noticeable amount of resources and time to add a naming function?

To be fair, they did attach stats to meshes that one time which prevented Zaw skins. Then apparently did it again, but differently enough that whatever workaround they have in place for Zaws seemingly doesn't work for Kitguns. If it weren't for the pre-existing naming system working on many different items without issue...

I love DE but their spaghetti code is legendary.

14 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

To be fair, they did attach stats to meshes that one time which prevented Zaw skins. Then apparently did it again, but differently enough that whatever workaround they have in place for Zaws seemingly doesn't work for Kitguns. If it weren't for the pre-existing naming system working on many different items without issue...

I love DE but their spaghetti code is legendary.

Fair point. Thankfully this should be a darn sight easier to pull off, but yeah, that mesh idea doesn't... seem smart.

Hindsight is 2020 and all that I guess.

Edited by DeMonkey
  • Like 1

On 2020-01-03 at 4:53 AM, Duskham said:

I'm not being dumb, you are saying that our operators NEEDs to have a real life name because reasons, i was just showing it doesnt make sense. It is a game, it gives you the option to name YOURSELF in the game, and then you did.

And if you don't have the option to rename your account for warframe alone? An operator name would be a little button on the customization menu or something.

On your point of real life names, since my operator is a female (I like the voice more. Sounds more natural imo), and I am not, I doubt my operator should have my name.

• Like 2

On 2020-01-02 at 11:57 AM, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

'Cause right now, none of us have a normal one since it basically takes our profile name

Just a name & a surname would be fine imo

I'm happy I picked my character name as my account name this time around.