Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railjack: is it worth the dev time to fix/polish?

IIDMOII

3 hours ago, (PS4)SolarPhantom82 said:

Compaired to what was showed of Railjack and the Lichers, and what we got.  Did DE pull an Anthem and fake their live demo?     Why is it all so different?

Every time I watch some new gameplay in tennocon it just look fake,but in the end I don't care that much because I already know them and only important thing is that I love what I see and hope to come soon in global build so that I can try and just play....

4 hours ago, (PS4)SolarPhantom82 said:

Compaired to what was showed of Railjack and the Lichers, and what we got.  Did DE pull an Anthem and fake their live demo?     Why is it all so different?

The Empyrean demo was heavily scripted for sure but I don't think it was fake. Unlike the Anthem demo which was shown even though the game didn't actually have any playable build.

Edited by Guest

43 minutes ago, (PS4)SolarPhantom82 said:

a world were I don't like to be BSs too. .. and it's seems I was...

This phrase right here...

@BDMblue asks "what world you live in?".

You say "in a world where I dont like being BSs too" going to assume this is "Not being bullshat on", then you say "it seems I was".

Wait, does this means you LIKE being BS on?

Not to kink shame, but there is a time and place dood... :clem:

It was showing a slice of the game that was in development. As I'm sure I don't need to explain, development often means that things will change, but that doesn't mean that what was shown was faked.

Take, for instance, the power management system. It was implemented, fully functional code-wise, but between the demo and the actual release it was removed because it broke the pace of the mode too much while in testing. That doesn't mean the demo was falsified or fabricated, just that what they had for the mode ended up changing along the way.

The demo seemed very close to what we got, except the following things:

1) No Kuva liches (but the big ship assasination mission is in the game, just not with a lich)

2) No energy management (but they mentioned in the devstream that they have scrapped the system since it broke the flow of the missions, so no surprise here).

3) No free-roam exploration zone that they showed in the beginning (yet).

4) No disabling pulse ability (or maybe I didn't find it).

5) No squad link yet

6) In a video the ramsleds had different skins and used some kind of mines? Honestly I think this is a very minor thing.

On an even less significant point, the turrents are now more visible on the screen, which I personally like (also something they discussed in a devstream).

So yeah, it was mostly on point (surprisingly actually).

Comparing it to the Anthem demo is very dishonest, since that thing was a complete fabrication.

Edited by Mr.Fluffins

11 minutes ago, Mr.Fluffins said:

Comparing it to the Anthem demo is very dishonest, since that thing was a complete fabrication.

The issue is people love to use "technically correct" arguments and say that applies for everything in black and white and only use those "technically correct" arguments when it benefits them.  For me...railjack was "fine".  But I understand the DE recipe and when to push it and when to back off.    

The thing I really like about this game, beyond the core loop, is all the systems.  What I am starting to not like is how completely disjointed they are becoming.  Emperian was supposed to be a way to make it all cohesive.  It is getting there....but just not there.   Which is I guess goes back to "I understand the DE recipe".   Funny (in a sad way)..isn't it.  

It is because that is the only bit of interesting content we got in 2019. Unless they have the next big thing ready, then yeah, they should work on railjack, polish it, expand it, and somehow merge it with the base game. Also reduce the ridiculous amounts of grind required to get intrinsics and resources, and rework the whole time gated sentient ship encounter. It is obnoxious.

3 hours ago, Vyra said:

Core game is fine, not sure what needs to be taken care of there apart from some frame and weapon reworks.

Railjack is a great success, finally something to do in game other than running in mazes...

Er, I'd say there's more that needs to change with the core game than just a few reworks to weapons. A lot of the older tilesets need updates, Corpus Ship and Europa are especially problematic in this regard.

14 hours ago, IIDMOII said:

They have a decent foundation to build on with railjack. Though I'm concerned if it's worth it.

While I had fun for about a week, the novelty has worn off and I'm starting to question the amount of work involved fine tuning and adding on to it. I would hate to see the core game be ignored for this.

I'm just not sure the railjack loop is exciting enough to sustain itself long term. I'm already tired of it and have gone back to the core game. It's repetative, exhausting, unbalanced and ultimately unrewarding. That micromanagement loop can't compete with the ground game, no way. 

The amount of fixes, changes and total reworks necessary to make railjack not suck 6 months from now is staggering. I'm not convinced it's worth it when there are so many other issues. 

My biggest concern though, is that DE is stubborn about it because it's their baby and force railjack all year long by locking stuff behind it.

People still dosen't understand. Railjack is the new Starchart. Think about it. Freaking cool.

Is like No man's Sky, you can invoke your "mother ship" and then Warp to another system. Railjack will work the same way in future.

7 hours ago, SordidDreams said:

Did you know the Winged series of avionics affects not only nearby archwings as per the description but the railjack as well? With Conic Nozzle, whatever the boost speed one is called, and Winged Cyclone, you can easily reach ludicrous speed and go to plaid.

Yeah, i use the zetki armor one instead of hull weave, the vidar speed one, and the zetki damage one. Ludicrous speed was necessary for farming my tenebrous ephemera.

Edited by Skaleek

Yes, railjack is absolutely worth polishing. And then, hopefully, integration into the rest of the game. I'm really excited for what they've talked about in their plans for it, the mission links and so on. I like the idea of railjack being central to a new gameplay loop.

10 hours ago, Atekron said:

definitely no, if fact I would be happy if they removed it from game, like they did with raids

but as you already said DE is too stubborn to admit their mistakes and will be continuing wasting resources on it

...If they're too stubborn to admit their mistakes, why did they remove raids...?

Edited by motorfirebox

They removed raids because the upkeep cost on raids was huge and 1% of the playerbase played it, including myself.  Every major update they had to fix a bunch of bugs that were introduced with raids because they had a lot of spaghetti code in raids/it's like they would scratch their back and their leg would bleed.  So they got removed.  That's the story.  

They will continue to work on railjack.  They spent years making railjack, it was THE big update last year, if they abandon it 2 months in it bodes quite badly.  Railjack base is quite solid.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, (XB1)COA Altair said:

They will continue to work on railjack.  They spent years making railjack, it was THE big update last year, if they abandon it 2 months in it bodes quite badly.  Railjack base is quite solid. 

I agree, but at the same time... did you see what they did with AW? They left it after they released it. Shame really.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skaleek said:

I agree, but at the same time... did you see what they did with AW? They left it after they released it. Shame really.

Archwing was just flatout garbage and isolated from everything else.  At least now archwing mods and archgun mods serve a purpose outside of archwing missions.  Used to be you didn't have to give any #*!% about archwing stuff outside mastery and years later they mattered a little more with profit taker now once they tweak archwing in the context of railjack people will actually forma some archwing stuff.  Railjack is quite likely to have so much stuff tied into it that they cannot abandon it namely the new war.  

There is really nothing to "fix" because the mode isnt even finalized yet.

We have the beta or more alpha of it because it isnt feature complete yet. The rest is already planned to come early this year, after that we can see if there is anything that needs fixing. As a game mode it currently works wonderfully, it is just a tad too repetative due to only having one type of mission. The only thing I feel needs a change in the current stage is the forced virtual horizon, that makes flying a pain. That needs to be removed. Other than that, maybe a few changes to make Lavan and Zetki guns a bit better and closer in performance to Vidar. Drop rates already have planned changes to ease up on RNG.

What the mode needs is to be expanded like planned, to cover more parts of the game and bringing us far more missions and possible explorable hidden areas. And they need to shove the liches in there and rework them to be more fun and rewarding.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, (XB1)COA Altair said:

Archwing was just flatout garbage and isolated from everything else.  At least now archwing mods and archgun mods serve a purpose outside of archwing missions.  Used to be you didn't have to give any #*!% about archwing stuff outside mastery and years later they mattered a little more with profit taker now once they tweak archwing in the context of railjack people will actually forma some archwing stuff.  Railjack is quite likely to have so much stuff tied into it that they cannot abandon it namely the new war. 

I honestly don't see much of a difference between AW's initial launch and railjack. New set of mods... New game mode... Although I'll admit archwing actually had a greater variance of mission types. Calling it garbage is subjective but i think a majority of the playerbase agrees, so you can have that one. Right now you wouldnt need to give a *$*# about Railjack outside of mastery and the occasional forma/umbral forma if youre super lucky. Yeah they have a quest tied in with it. They had quests tied in with AW as well. Hopefully its more than just a one and done quest, but only time will tell.

My point was mainly to illustrate DE typically leaves many, many systems in the dirt.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, (PS4)SolarPhantom82 said:

a world were I don't like to be BSs too. .. and it's seems I was...

How?

they show a game mode that is not made how were u lied to?

unless you don’t understand reality and think that was a finished mode just took 2 years to make? 

Let me get this straight for a sec. you think that demo is a finished product so what do you think they have been doing for 2 years? Do you wonder why the lich is not here if it was “working” months ago?

The demo was no more then to show us a plan for the upcoming game mode that’s it. At no point is that plan set in stone or unable to change. To think it wont change at all while they develop it is mind boggling.

7 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

This phrase right here...

@BDMblue asks "what world you live in?".

You say "in a world where I dont like being BSs too" going to assume this is "Not being bullshat on", then you say "it seems I was".

Wait, does this means you LIKE being BS on?

Not to kink shame, but there is a time and place dood... :clem:

What part of the teach demo to show off there plans for a new mode they wanted to add to the game was BS?

is it they changed things? Well damn better tell them once they put a tech demo in place it’s set in stone. Does not matter how it plays what works what doesn’t. It was in the tech demo it’s set in stone. Want to add stuff? #*!% you DE you liars!

release it in parts.... #*!% lie to me #*!%ing it was in the demo #*!%ing parts #*!%.

I’m so glad I don’t make games because you have to deal with such a massive Dunning Kruger effect from your audience. It’s so bad people cant view a tech demo with out going bonkers.

vor 14 Stunden schrieb (PS4)GEN-Son_17:

Yes because, as was discussed by Steve, what we have now is the tutorial level of Railjack. I just finished Saturn and love every bit of what I'm playing. Playing solo, just looking at the Grineer's attack methods, the powerful but resource limited Railjack abilities, how the railjack's speed and maneuverability plays a strong tactical role, how different the weaopns behave, the flexibility that comes with upgrades, the absolutely insane audio, the realistic view of the planets and the scaling changes to the troops all make for a really nice initial offering.

- Each planet has space combat potential.

- Each Corpus corporation has a say in the battles. Nef Anyo's demo is still a thing.

- Derelicts and abandoned space stations could use some clean-up...and I still have issues with Arlo.

The taste of the lich system can still expand to different Grineer factions now.

- The sentients and other yet discovered people.

I think DE should go as far as they can imagine. The community will do what it does but, this year, I really hope DE just block out everyone for a few months and silently gives us what they're imagining. 

Mmmh, you didnt played any Space Sim before, huh? Just out of curiosity.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, IIDMOII said:

They have a decent foundation to build on with railjack. Though I'm concerned if it's worth it.

While I had fun for about a week, the novelty has worn off and I'm starting to question the amount of work involved fine tuning and adding on to it. I would hate to see the core game be ignored for this.

I'm just not sure the railjack loop is exciting enough to sustain itself long term. I'm already tired of it and have gone back to the core game. It's repetative, exhausting, unbalanced and ultimately unrewarding. That micromanagement loop can't compete with the ground game, no way. 

The amount of fixes, changes and total reworks necessary to make railjack not suck 6 months from now is staggering. I'm not convinced it's worth it when there are so many other issues. 

My biggest concern though, is that DE is stubborn about it because it's their baby and force railjack all year long by locking stuff behind it.

the entire game is unrewarding.

21 hours ago, yarl5000 said:

I think the plan is for railjack to slowly become the main game play loop.  They said they want it to be the connective tissue for the game and for it to be more important.

I think that that is some of the idea I don't know if it would be possible but they could use railjack as a place to tune the broken core systems of the game and work on some of the overall balance problems armor and shield scaling,  general scaling, enemy AI, damage... how ever based on some of the choices made for the internal systems while I enjoy them (mostly the increased HP compared to damage and slightly better low level scaling but it would be bad at higher levels) they have obviously not solved some of the core problems however I have hope that over time they will.