Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vsync smooth AFR glitch

Matheoryon

There is a coding for vsync called smooth AFR which locks the frame rate of a game to a fraction of the monitors native refresh rate such as 1/2 1/3/ 1/4, and its being used for no apparent reason. I can sustain 144 fps on POE and sure I will lose frames depending on where I look, but then I will go from 144fps to 72fps with vsync on.

With Vsync off, The lose isnt so dramatic, but wow does the game play tear alot horizontally. This used to never be so, and I assume some months ago DE devs decided to enable smooth AFR for whatever their reasons, and for that reason I ask they at least offer an option to keep it on or off? Obviously turning it off in nvidia inspector does nothing.

Update: As it turns out, the experimental feature called "optimized flip" mode was what was causing my issues. TLDR, game needs some vsync coding adjustment.

Edited by Matheoryon
Update

On 2020-01-02 at 11:56 PM, Matheoryon said:

locks the frame rate of a game to a fraction of the monitors native refresh rate such as 1/2 1/3/ 1/4

Same problem when render and output is on the same GPU with V-sync on. Probably something to do with only having 2 buffers and V-Sync, locking to exactly 1/2 or 1/3 of refresh rate. Warframe, the missing triple buffering in display option in game, and Warframe launcher with the missing option to choose GPU to render on.

Can search for more information on how triple buffing works. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=triple+buffering+on+vs+off

Switchable graphics where render and output on different GPU avoid FPS cut in half problem as it appears to have triple buffer behavior. My video proves this works nicely when render and output is in different GPU. Output GPU is where the display monitor is plugged in. Render GPU controlled in Windows 10 graphics options, classic app, Warframe.x64, High performance or power saving. Often requires integrated graphics, most intel have it but AMD Ryzen need "G" for integrated graphics, and maybe motherboard BIOS settings with "HybridGraphics" on, iGPU primary.

I have Ryzen 2400G, NVidia Gt 1030, showing the comparisons with each of the 4 possible combinations of render and output.

3 hours ago, taiiat said:

if i recall, in Warframe, 'Auto' VSync will actually secretly let the game use Adaptive VSync, while 'ON' will force traditional VSync.

V-Sync "Auto" only goes from 30 FPS to 31 FPS with some screen tearing and some stutter every 2 seconds. I think the game's auto v-sync is messing around with turning V-Sync on and off based on FPS bouncing between 30 FPS and 31 FPS.

Here is a new video showing V-Sync on, auto, and off, with 3 of them have render and output the same GT 1030. V-sync off will show screen tearing everywhere while in motion. One of them render GT 1030, output Vega 11, v-sync on, with nice FPS with no screen tearing which is nice.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sam686 said:

V-Sync "Auto" only goes from 30 FPS to 31 FPS with some screen tearing and some stutter every 2 seconds. I think the game's auto v-sync is messing around with turning V-Sync on and off based on FPS bouncing between 30 FPS and 31 FPS.

Here is a new video showing V-Sync on, auto, and off, with 3 of them have render and output the same GT 1030. V-sync off will show screen tearing everywhere while in motion. One of them render GT 1030, output Vega 11, v-sync on, with nice FPS with no screen tearing which is nice.

If you want more performance out of that gpu, use asus gpu tweak II. Set voltage to maximum(100mv) and slowly raise the gpu clock. Memory clock isnt worth messing around with unless you want to give more temperature headroom to the gpu die. If you use nvidia inspector, set display mode to single monitor. Is this games power mode on maximum performance? Theres also registry tweaks too, however ask if you want them as they are "dangerous".

• Like 1

On 2020-01-05 at 4:25 PM, taiiat said:

if i recall, in Warframe, 'Auto' VSync will actually secretly let the game use Adaptive VSync, while 'ON' will force traditional VSync.

so try setting VSync to Auto, in assumption that it is not already.

Im not a fan of adaptive as it does a sort of smooth visual stutter that gives me a headache from the inconsistant frame rate. Having set to on makes it much more enjoyable.