Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mac And Warframe?

Lord_zasca

Really? Mac is obsolete and propitiatory. Already been proven that the PC can handle any work load and still sit back and sip a bourbon.

My windows computer is old and flailing and i got this cheap. this was SUPPOSED. to be the thing that i played warfarme on till november where my new computer arrives

Easy answer to this is directX. DirectX is a windows-only thing that allows you to do some fancy graphical stuff that macs are completely incapable of.

Warframe, like the majority of games in existence, uses directX.

If you bought a mac to play computer games on, you are sorely misguided.

On the brightside, you can sell it back and have enough money for like 8 computers that use windows instead.

EDIT: oh. If you got a discount mac, well... sorry 'bout your luck. =(

Edited by Llyssa

DirectX is proprietary to Microsoft. Apple does not license it, they use OpenGL. Warframe will not work with a Mac that does not have Windows running on Boot Camp, period (maybe if you had a REALLY fast Mac you could do a virtual machine, but if you had such a machine, you would certainly just buy a copy of Windows to put on it). 

Edited by Skyblazer

Installing Bootcamp is not actually very hard... Apple gives step by step instructions and a program to make it easy. You'll probably need a flash drive big enough to put a WIndows ISO on though if your computer doesn't have a disc drive. But before you go off and do that you should probably make sure that your Mac can run Warframe -- I assume because you didn't know until now that Warframe is PC only that you didn't check that what you were buying could run it.

All this talk of virtualization, dual-booting, and boot camp, and nobody has mentioned Wine?  This is exactly the stuff Wine was made for.  The problem with running a Windows install, while ostensibly "easier" to install games on, is that it a) requires an additional license for the OS and b) depending on the method you choose can be limited on resources by being forced to share with the OSX side.

Granted, Wine had its roots in Linuxland but OSX is hardly what you'd call a far cry away from those old Linux/Unix roots.

This may answer some questions:

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ

Just another option to consider.

All this talk of virtualization, dual-booting, and boot camp, and nobody has mentioned Wine?  This is exactly the stuff Wine was made for.  The problem with running a Windows install, while ostensibly "easier" to install games on, is that it a) requires an additional license for the OS and b) depending on the method you choose can be limited on resources by being forced to share with the OSX side.

Granted, Wine had its roots in Linuxland but OSX is hardly what you'd call a far cry away from those old Linux/Unix roots.

This may answer some questions:

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ

Just another option to consider.

Boot camp rather than virtual machine.  Running a virtual copy is pretty much out for anything other than spreadsheets and documents.  Yes you need a copy of windows but WIN7 is pretty cheap relative to past window operrating systems.

Anyway, bootcamp. Is easy, you just need to look it up on apples website.  Normally Macs will come with two install discs one will have all of the windows drivers for your hardware.  It is a fairly simple step by step.

The one thing I would worry a bit about though is the hardware.  It isn't apples to apples, because windows is a memory hog and a slug as are most windows programs.  One of the reasons Macs seem to have substandard hardware for the price, because they are able to run the equivalent programs much better with less resources... THEREFORE when you set up a dual boot and want to run windows and windows programs, especially games you may be way under powered on the graphics side.  Especially if you picked this up used cheap I question the graphics being up to par.  You may still be able to run Warframe, but on super low graphics.

Edited by Wahooo

Boot camp rather than virtual machine.  Running a virtual copy is pretty much out for anything other than spreadsheets and documents.  Yes you need a copy of windows but WIN7 is pretty cheap relative to past window operrating systems.

Anyway, bootcamp. Is easy, you just need to look it up on apples website.  Normally Macs will come with two install discs one will have all of the windows drivers for your hardware.  It is a fairly simple step by step.

The one thing I would worry a bit about though is the hardware.  It isn't apples to apples, because windows is a memory hog and a slug as are most windows programs.  One of the reasons Macs seem to have substandard hardware for the price, because they are able to run the equivalent programs much better with less resources... THEREFORE when you set up a dual boot and want to run windows and windows programs, especially games you may be way under powered on the graphics side.  Especially if you picked this up used cheap I question the graphics being up to par.  You may still be able to run Warframe, but on super low graphics.

Dude. i wasnt getting this to play it was for the daily rewards 

All this talk of virtualization, dual-booting, and boot camp, and nobody has mentioned Wine? 

Probably because Wine doesn't seem to work too well with Warframe (http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/1dnnoj/warframe_on_linux/), and getting it to work at all seems to be a multistep process fraught with compatibility issues. If OP thinks boot camp is complicated, he should stay away from anything with the words "compile it yourself" in the instructions. 

Probably because Wine doesn't seem to work too well with Warframe (http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/1dnnoj/warframe_on_linux/), and getting it to work at all seems to be a multistep process fraught with compatibility issues. If OP thinks boot camp is complicated, he should stay away from anything with the words "compile it yourself" in the instructions. 

hahahaahah thanks for the insult :( i am terrible at tech stuff thats why i liked windows