Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Problems With Jackal

ArchonReach

Question

Alright, where to start... Oh, right. I've had to fight Jackal (And I've counted) well over 15 times.

Now, I'm not going to QQ about how the drop rates need to be better, or the price needs to be lower, or whatever. I simply have a couple questions.

1) What are the drop rates on these friggin' blueprints? Maybe we can get some dev input on this? No joke, if I have the exact percentage of something, it gives me a little hope that I won't be finally getting this stupid helmet at the 30th time (If I haven't already done this 30 times...)

2) Is it intentionally designed to give you all but one piece? In my travels (The same level over and over...), I've met a lot of people that are also farming Rhino. 99% of those people have gotten everything but the chassis, or maybe the systems. I got my Systems and Chassis (Even crafted the Systems) got within the first 5 times. And then the grind got to be so bad that I stopped playing and eventually uninstalled for a while, and then when I heard about update 10(?), with Nekros and the Soma and whatnot, I reinstalled it. I spent many many nights farming for that helmet BEFORE uninstalling, and now I just want to know how much longer I should shoot for it before I should give up.

Any information is appreciated, I'd really like some drop rates for each of these blueprints, and yea. Now, back to the grind...

24 answers to this question

Update! Just played it another 5 times (May or may not have lost count...) and I got 3 systems in a row.

Really? REALLY!?

Anyways, I would try running it solo, but I have no idea where to hit Jackal so it's actually doing damage, believe it or not. Hit his legs, he falls down. Ok. But when I aim anywhere else, sometimes it will show I'm aiming at a shield (That I can't damage), or his actual health. I also can't switch Warframes (New player, only Excalibur), so you know. I'll try it solo, but if I get beaten to death, it's on your conscience.

For realzies.

As for Trainer772, I'm very sorry to hear that. How many hours wasted was that? D:

What's really going to be a pain is getting Nekros. Going to need to farm the keys, and then farm the boss. That must be some form of Tenno Torture.

It's much faster when you solo it. Here's a quick video of me soloing it (was this something like run number 30 out of ~160?) with nothing but an exaclibur and a braton (back when I didn't own almost every warframe in the game o_o)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM9-j_9APZs

That's what you do if you don't have a build that can tear him down in 10 seconds. Shoot the legs, shoot the face, repeat. It's actually less confusing when you're soloing. (And yes, a maxed out soma will let you spray through his shield and destroy his health in 6 seconds flat, and a strun wraith will do it in 3).

Edited by Trainer772

On a whim, last night, I decided to make Rhino.

I ran Jackal 4 times and got all the parts. It really is luck. Which I have. In gratuitous amounts. 

I may be one of the few people that RNG hasn't ever screwed over. Most of the people who know me say that I have god-tier luck

Trainer, your RoF is through the roof. I need whatever god-mode mod that is.

Anyways, I tried soloing last night, gonna try a couple more times today, and see how it goes. My main problem is that when I'm trying to switch between cover he likes to use some terrible OHK power, and that just destroys me. No idea what is it. The animation is too fast for me to actually see what's killing me, but I'll look at it a bit closer next time.

Looks like if I have the RoF of a Soma it works just fine though. I wonder if he was constantly mashing buttons and screaming, "NO NO NO COME ON! H4X!"

And wow Letter. That is some crazy luck. 4 runs? Hm. I shall call upon you next time I want to farm a warframe. And we shall dance on the bodies of our enemies, collecting Nekros and Ignis and Ash blueprints.

I may or may not have found part of my problem, I'm not sure. I may have gotten the helmet a bunch of times, but reading the wiki, looks like there's a bug where loot will sometimes fall through the floor.

The way to counter it is to be standing underneath/near him when he dies. That explains why I always get a piece when I kill him with a melee or Radial Javelin...

Jackal is one of the easiest bosses to solo, just keep the columns between you and it and don't get too close or you will trigger his aoe, shoot his legs to stun him, switch to body until he gets back up, work on legs again. If you have something like acrid or soma you can just spam the body and it will cut him down in seconds, cold damage mods help take out his shield. Acrid will kill him in less than a minute, around 30-40 seconds if that.

Edited by HexCaliber

I may or may not have found part of my problem, I'm not sure. I may have gotten the helmet a bunch of times, but reading the wiki, looks like there's a bug where loot will sometimes fall through the floor.

The way to counter it is to be standing underneath/near him when he dies. That explains why I always get a piece when I kill him with a melee or Radial Javelin...

That's a really old bug though. I believe they fixed that a while ago.

Edited by CitizenV

2) Is it intentionally designed to give you all but one piece? In my travels (The same level over and over...), I've met a lot of people that are also farming Rhino. 99% of those people have gotten everything but the chassis, or maybe the systems. I got my Systems and Chassis (Even crafted the Systems) got within the first 5 times. And then the grind got to be so bad that I stopped playing and eventually uninstalled for a while, and then when I heard about update 10(?), with Nekros and the Soma and whatnot, I reinstalled it. I spent many many nights farming for that helmet BEFORE uninstalling, and now I just want to know how much longer I should shoot for it before I should give up.

It took me around 25 hours I'm guessing. In my case it was the system. I was up to my neck in helmets and had multiple chassis too, but not nearly as many as helmets. It's been like that every single time I ever farmed for anything. There's always one piece that refuses to drop and which piece varies from person to person. The RNG is definitely not working right. They're going to put in trading so that should finally solve the problem.

That's a really old bug though. I believe they fixed that a while ago.

Yeah that's fixed. I've never seen that happen.

Edited by Lachryphage

Just stand in front of him and shoot hit leg and head systematically while syncing the reloads. If you do it right you really don't need cover (asides from those stupid 2000 damage grenades that he rarely launches), and you should down him in 40 seconds. Use a decent gun like a Braton, since an MK1 braton really really sucks.

Jackal is one of the easiest bosses to solo.

Right, I tried it, and noticed that his however billion shields do drop once he's fallen down. Did it with the MK-1 Braton, a Chronus, and Aklato. I see a lot of people just saying to get the Braton though, so I should look at that...

Anyways, going to try an solo it for a bit, if all else fails, I play through the levels until trading comes out, because I know a couple thousand people that have helmets coming out of their ears... And then to craft! Honestly, the wait time won't bother me. Because it'll all be worth it.

Now that I know trading WILL be implemented (Lachry seems pretty sure), I'm pretty optimistic. I'll try maybe 5-10 more times, and then I'm giving up until the time that trading is a 'thing' and work on my Furax and Paris until then.

Jackal is pretty easy if you have an Excal with Slash Dash at max (Hint: Excal without spamming Slash-dash maxed every time you feel like it = you are using it wrong) and you slap an electric mod on your Braton.

Stay behind the column, hit leg until it falls. SlashDash through the middle. Get into cover again as that will have dealed enough damage for it to fill the buffer and it will raise and become invulnerable for a little while (just the time for you to get into cover again).

Rinse and repeat. When you are out of energy, look for orbs, as they should drop from above (there are broken rails that every now and then move a container that is then dropped to the ground), but it's anywya the same. Shoot the leg until it falls, shoot the body until it rises again, wait 5 seconds, rinse and repeat.

I got my Rhino's BP in something like 15 runs before U10. Now my Dethcube (sentinel) can solo the Jackal without any assistance.

And yes. Braton is around twice as good as the MK1, while slightly less precise, then save for the Soma and critical mods. I bet most of the frustration is because you are using sub-standard equipment.

Also, Furax <<<<<< Kogake imho.

Although for serious work it's better to get a Gram/Shindo/Orthos, and if you have charge speed mods the Galatine.

Jackal is one of the easiest bosses to solo, just keep the columns between you and it and don't get too close or you will trigger his aoe, shoot his legs to stun him, switch to body until he gets back up, work on legs again. If you have something like acrid or soma you can just spam the body and it will cut him down in seconds, cold damage mods help take out his shield. Acrid will kill him in less than a minute, around 30-40 seconds if that.

Well,its good for people to be specific rather than just say its easy. I thank you for being more explanatory than some of the other posts I've seen. Makes the difference when I'm still trying to get out of the Venus system on my own.

Soloing Jackal is relatively easy if you can avoid his homing missiles. Even with one of my maxed Warframes I get OHK'd by his missile cluster. At a certain point of his health he will screech and fire his rockets. Even if you're behind cover the AoE of these rockets will deal significant damage. I can only advice to fight him at a distance and switch cover as often as possible (if you are behind a pillar and he is on the other face of your cover, that's bad).

Also, the Jackal has a damage cap when downed which makes it seem like you are only hitting his shields. When downed he takes health damage for a very short period before taking shield damage. Just keep trying.

Not sure if the tactic is still on the wiki, but solo using a bow works well.  Just takes longer if you are under geared but then if you are loki it is easier, just time consuming.

You can basically ledge him where you can see a leg he won't see you, if you were invisible with loki/ash/ghost before you went behind the column you will lose aggro.  Silent weapons, like a bow you can take out the leg and he won't ever react, step out a bit more do the body damage, when he starts to stand up, step back, rinse repeat.  I did it a few times early on to clear venus solo, but didn't get any BP drops.  I was still pretty new and my gear was at 30 but very under modded, I don't think I had a catalyst on my paris. 

Update! Just played it another 5 times (May or may not have lost count...) and I got 3 systems in a row.

Really? REALLY!?

Anyways, I would try running it solo, but I have no idea where to hit Jackal so it's actually doing damage, believe it or not. Hit his legs, he falls down. Ok. But when I aim anywhere else, sometimes it will show I'm aiming at a shield (That I can't damage), or his actual health. I also can't switch Warframes (New player, only Excalibur), so you know. I'll try it solo, but if I get beaten to death, it's on your conscience.

For realzies.

As for Trainer772, I'm very sorry to hear that. How many hours wasted was that? D:

What's really going to be a pain is getting Nekros. Going to need to farm the keys, and then farm the boss. That must be some form of Tenno Torture.

If you've done that many runs of Jackal to get Rhino you've probably stacked a corpus chairman's wallets worth of Nav coordinates. A good run of the derelicts should net you enough for one boss key. Don't solo the boss though if you're new. That's just a bad idea.  

They changed the rng system recently, and as far as it looks like from the forums, strings of the same reward are now more common than they were before.