Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sweet FX allowed in 2019?

Firen99

First of all, i'm not sure if the off-topic section is the right place to make a post like this, if not sorry.

Heya guys, so i came across a video of a guy using  Sweet FX on Warframe, and i also found links to a post where a guy with ReShade got banned. Long story short guy using ReShade ( Or so he said ) said he got banned for using it, now he might just be lying about what software he was using, and a reply to it was a screenshot where DE Steve said that Sweet FX was fine. But the question is: Is it still allowed to use SweetFX on Warframe?

20 hours ago, Firen99 said:

First of all, i'm not sure if the off-topic section is the right place to make a post like this, if not sorry.

Heya guys, so i came across a video of a guy using  Sweet FX on Warframe, and i also found links to a post where a guy with ReShade got banned. Long story short guy using ReShade ( Or so he said ) said he got banned for using it, now he might just be lying about what software he was using, and a reply to it was a screenshot where DE Steve said that Sweet FX was fine. But the question is: Is it still allowed to use SweetFX on Warframe?

I wouldn't risk it

• 1 month later...

First of all, read this topic: 

Then there's the link to Bear's post above where he said they had never banned for SweetFX/ReShade.

Then there's the fact that I've been using SweetFX and then ReShade for years safely so far.

The takeaway in my interpretation:

DE have never specifically banned for SweetFX or ReShade, but there still exists an ever so slight possibility that you get banned due to a false positive. In which case the support may or may not help you, depending on who you will be dealing with.

I want to elaborate a bit on my last statement. Imagine a tech support worker that can see that you got banned because the anti-cheat mechanism got triggered while scanning your RAM. He's got his instructions and he's not there to argue whether the company's policy is right or wrong. He might have info saying that what triggered it was ReShade and he might have some memo on unbanning people who get false positively banned for that, or he might not. Not everyone in support is tech savvy, they could simply say something stupid like modifying game files violates the EULA so you are banned without appeal. Which is nonsense because SweetFX/ReShade does not replace or modify any game files.

There is however a clause in the EULA that speaks of "Game experience" which can be construed however you like. In that sense one could say that it does alter the Game experience by altering the image, however the same can be done by the graphics card drivers and the same can be done by almost any display nowadays. This means if you choose to construe Game experience that way - they could ban you for using your graphics drivers alone because they are capable of altering the game's image output even at a lower level than ReShade which only does post-processing of the image. Anyone with a lick of sense should understand that going that way with the interpretation of modifying the Game experience is ridiculous. But as far as I can see this is the only thing in the EULA that could support issuing a ban for using ReShade.

Which is why I believe ReShade users are not acting in violation of the current EULA because it does not replace or modify any of the game files and the visual output is post-processed after the game has output the image. Let's say I attach a colour filter onto my display - this will change the Game experience in the same way that ReShade does except it cannot be detected, then what? Should they send people knocking on the doors and checking if you have one attached? What about different displays with different colour gamuts and all the new fancy algorithms for image enhancement? What about the image altering capabilities of the video card driver? What if you want to play wearing sunglasses? Unless you admit that all those and similar cases can be treated as violation of the EULA you cannot ban for ReShade or SweetFX. 

Edited by DarthKadra