Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Harrow Thurible Changes

BabenisBest

In his current state, Harrow is a pretty contradictory Warframe, especially his third ability Thurible. A squad having to stop and let Harrow kill a lot of enemies to gain energy just doesn't fit into the flow of Warframe, but if you change the ability to gaining energy with every damage tick instead of every enemy killed, Harrow becomes a much more engaging frame with even more ability synergy.

To start off, I'd like to address some obvious balance problems that could come from this. To prevent beam weapons being completely broken with this ability, a tick limit should be added. What that limit should be exactly is up to the devs. I'd recommend it being fairly high since there's no reason to punish players for playing smart and bringing a high fire rate weapon, plus Harrow has some abilities that play into this that I'll get further into in the next section. A lot of people might add that Harrow's gameplay and image is about accurate and critical based weapons, seeing as his abilities grant higher critical rates and he has a bonus to headshots. If DE chooses to address this, a simple passive that increases energy generated with certain weapon types would fix that problem. What the exact percent would be, I'll leave up to DE.

Making energy gain from Thurible on damage done instead of on enemies killed ties in perfectly to Harrow's ability loop. To start off playing Harrow, you use his primary ability to crowd control  enemies and gain shields or overshields. You can then use those shields in his second ability, Penance, to heal yourself and others while increasing reload and fire rates. The healing part of Penance already works mostly as I've described above. It's based on damage done and not enemies killed. Thurible working in a similar way just let's Harrow use his abilities in tandem, generating energy and health side by side. The reload and fire rate buff would tie into this as well, as the buff would make lower fire rate weapons more viable for Harrow to use, and a tick limit would make sure weapons that are already fast don't break the ability.

Finally, I'd like to address one more thing about support Warframes in general. Trinity, Octavia, and Equinox are all busted, but boring. I'm confident that with this buff, Harrow would sky rocket in popularity, not because of his power relative to the other support frames, but because he'd be the most fun to play while still being effective. The only reason that isn't the case right now is because half of Harrow's main support function is too clumsy to use. Thanks for coming to my TedTalk.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BabenisBest said:

To prevent beam weapons being completely broken with this ability, a tick limit should be added.

Any reason not to just make it proportional to damage done?  i.e., Energy Steal, just scaling the percentage with energy sacrificed as well as damage.

Alternately it could mirror Penance even more closely: have the Energy Steal be a flat percentage, and energy sacrificed control the duration.  (And maybe a range bonus as well.)

• Like 1

Harrow is one of those prime examples of why it makes no sense to give kill credit in Warframe on last hits exclusively. Warframe isn't a MOBA, it's a co-op PvE game where combat happens at such a fast pace it's entirely possible for certain players to get very few kills just by playing normally. Having to pause just to charge up an ability makes matters worse, and puts Harrow at an innate disadvantage when trying to do his job. I agree with Tiltskillet that some small Energy leech percentage would definitely work towards a smoother ability without needing to account for beam weapons and the like, but overall having fewer on-last-hit conditionals would benefit Warframe.

Additionally:

20 hours ago, BabenisBest said:

Finally, I'd like to address one more thing about support Warframes in general. Trinity, Octavia, and Equinox are all busted, but boring. I'm confident that with this buff, Harrow would sky rocket in popularity, not because of his power relative to the other support frames, but because he'd be the most fun to play while still being effective. The only reason that isn't the case right now is because half of Harrow's main support function is too clumsy to use. Thanks for coming to my TedTalk.

I can very much agree with this. I personally main Trinity and love her to bits, but objectively speaking Harrow is almost certainly the best-designed support by far, not simply because his kit has so much gameplay, but because the likes of Equinox, Octavia, and Trinity all tend to either trivialize the game or make it play itself. Harrow deserves to be made fully functional, but then DE also still needs to reexamine the competition, as their tremendous power masks some serious design problems. Trinity's abilities are spammy and repetitive, Equinox is a thoroughly incomplete warframe that fails to deliver her dual-form fantasy adequately, and Octavia's just a collection of deployables that largely lead to passive gameplay. Meanwhile, Harrow is one of the few frames out there with an actual skill rotation, and a playstyle that pushes the player to do better (in this case, by landing headshots) instead of just making the game easier the whole time.

There would also need to be a huge nerf or a change to the ability's energy conversion. As it stands energy conversion is increased in small amounts by strength. Where as efficiency can not only increase it by a larger amount but also multiply the benefits from strength.

With the 175% efficiency + whatever % strength I have I can produce over 250 energy per kill and over 1000 on headshot.