Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grendel - The best railjack wingman a pilot could have

Educated_Beast

I usually do not post guides but I have not seen anyone else using this frame as a railjack guard and I would love to see more Grendel in pub games!  My experience is that railjack does not have enough competent wingman's.  

Grendel is ideal for gaurding the railjack due to his #1 ability.  He can quickly clear a room of the highest health/armor enemies in the game in mere seconds!  Then walk around and fix the ship with slight indigestion, hop on turrents, go to forge, etc.  He is the ideal wingman of the pilot!   

It is so satisfying to eat a whole squad of boarders, hop in the slingshot, shoot over to the crewship, destoy reactor, vomit them all out on each other, teleport back to railjack, and enjoy the fact that they will die with thier squad.  Then casually fix ship, keep forge maxed, and operate guns as needed.  Here is my build (requires 2 forma (V and -), all mods maxed unless specifically stated):

1. Primed Flow (needs lots of energy to hold mutiple enemies in belly).  Flow if don't have prime version or want to experiment without forma.

2. Rank 4 Streamline (25% efficiency).

3. Rank 4 Fleeting Expertise (50% efficiency, -50% duration).

4. Primed Continuity (50% duration allows max efficiency, 75% efficiency possible only if keep duration at or above 100% duration), continuity if don't have prime version, but it will not be optimal performance).

NOTE - skills 2-4 allow grendel to keep MANY enemies in belly for a very long time when energy is maxed.

5. Hunter Adrenaline (rage works and slightly less drain, but this is better).  The idea is to keep energy bar filled and that can be done with energy pizzas but I like to use these infrequently.  This mod really helps you gobble up people in combat and keep those still in belly.

6. Vitality (Grendel has a lot of health but high level railjack missions can be violent).

7. Adaptation (helps to stay alive, steel fiber if you do not have this mod, steel fiber can also help a pet stay alive longer with armor share which is always useful).

8. Stretch (this is enough to cover entire room on a railjack, cast #1 and move mouse back and forth until all enemies are in belly).

9. Aura Slot - Energy Siphon useful on this build but the aura mod slot is flexible - corrosive projection useful for dealing with boarders, enemy radar if companion dies, etc.  You could forma again with aura forma and do whatever you like based on squad - physique useful as well as some of the new melee auras.  I'd like to hear creative feedback.    

10. Exilus Slot - Any of the of the elemental movement mods (for moving vertically on ship fast) or mobilize if poor (mobilize + rage instead of hunter Adrenaline may even save a forma).  

11. Operator school - Zennurik (spam bubble to maintain max energy).  Zennurik also helps with heavy attack spam so, is there really any other school?  

12. Companion - anything really but I like smeeta for chance at x2 XP (helps intrisnics farm) and of course Helios prime for scanning new enemies but dethcube also great for energy so, do whatever you like here.

13. Intrisnics - You need at least level 4 in tactical (teleport anywhere on ship and teleport back to railjack after slingshot), level in 4 Gunner (operate slingshot as a warhead to kill crewships fast), level 7 in engineering (if guarding ship, need to also run forge).  You get most bonuses by level 7 and it's really not that hard to get to level 4 in all intrisnics, especially with XP booster.  However, even level 4 forge useful enough with this build.  

14. Warframe Arcanes for this build ideally would be energize, grace, or guardian.  I use energize and guardian but you can be creative here.  These are optional and energy pizzas are a thing anyway.  Maybe I should swap to Grace + Guardian...

15. Operator Arcanes - Lockdown (tether enemies if low on energy after come out of belly to group and quickly kill) and Elevate (to heal fast), but these are optional, I'd like to hear creative alternatives.

16. Weapons - you need a heavy attack melee (when energy runs out and enemies come out of belly, they are all clumped together at low health, a couple heavy swings and they done), reapers, machettes, nikannas all force slash on heavy attacks, find a good build for melee 3.0 with favorite weapon, there are many choices.

17. Archwing - Amesha is the new Itzal but you can really use anything since slingshot keeps you immortal when hit crewship and then you can teleport back to railjack (tactical intrisnics 4).  The idea here is you stay on ship, there are already many railjack hoppers.  

I am posting this because I love to pilot but there just is not many good ship wingman's out there.  This build can be tweaked to non-prime mods (i.e. flow, continuity, steel fiber) if poor and still function!  I'm interested in constructive feedback. 

Enjoy!

Edited by Educated_Beast
  • Like 11

Thank you for finally giving me a reason both to use Grendel, and to serve as Railjack Engineer.

I was struggling to find a use for him. I assume Hydroid would also be an interesting alternative with his puddle. Well, at least if we leave out the part that he's much squishier than Grendel, that is.

10 minutes ago, (PS4)Hikuro-93 said:

Thank you for finally giving me a reason both to use Grendel, and to serve as Railjack Engineer.

I was struggling to find a use for him. I assume Hydroid would also be an interesting alternative with his puddle. Well, at least if we leave out the part that he's much squishier than Grendel, that is.

Hydroid cannot fix the ship while keeping enemies controlled.  He also cannot spit the enemies back onto thier crewships before causing it to explode.  He also cannot clear the room by moving cursor back and forth (I suppose he can grab some with tentacles but he is to slow and the wave doesn't go up stairs well).  

Grendel has survivability combined with unique ability to clear boarders / heal ship that no other frame has.  

And your welcome!

Edited by Educated_Beast
  • Like 2

Thanks for sharing. Personally I use Vauban: CC whole squad with Vortex and toss Flechette Orb - they are so OP right now that even in Veil Proxima they can shred whole group in mere seconds. Bonus points for being an engineer by design.

21 minutes ago, xGryphus said:

Thanks for sharing. Personally I use Vauban: CC whole squad with Vortex and toss Flechette Orb - they are so OP right now that even in Veil Proxima they can shred whole group in mere seconds. Bonus points for being an engineer by design.

And if you are feeling really helpful you can even throw down an Overdrive for the pilot and the gunners.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xGryphus said:

Vauban offers great CC and damage and an excellent selection as well.  I have not seriously played him since rework, does his #4 work on all 3 levels of ship?  When it collapses to a blackhole, is range enough to capture enemies that scattered on other levels?  Can the orb fire threw walls for enemies on multiple levels?  Vauban also lacks survivability when destroying reactors on crewship but I suppose there are workaround with right build.  He is also an energy hog so likely similar but need more power versus efficiency.  

With Grendal, I can absorb guys on same level fast, jump upstairs and do same.  

45 minutes ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

And if you are feeling really helpful you can even throw down an Overdrive for the pilot and the gunners.

Grendal does have bonus damage ability as well but it sucks because it is random based on enemy so I didn't mention it.  Building for overdrive would require more range?  Or is a single stretch enough to hit pilot from where boarders typically enter?  Seems these abilities going to depend on different builds more (power versus range).  

I say Vauban can make an excellent wingman as well, pros and cons of both.  Grendel is certainly simple to work with.  

By all means, one of you make a railjack guide for vauban.  The more useful players in a railjack, the better the pug experience is for everyone!  To many players bringing random frames on a railjack and not really doing anything useful.

I've been using Mesa a bunch recently (after going through Earth and ~half of Saturn with a high-Range Volt).

Tanky enough to take some hits, can burst down enemies with her 4 decently well,
and not least, her 2 jumps onto allies at infinite range 🙂

Thanks for sharing, this is really interesting. I think Grendel is a fun and cute frame lol but I can't find a situation where I would want to use him instead of a more efficient frame.
I've been using Khora for most content now coz she can stop anything and kill anything at any level, she has heal too...and a cat. Having 2 cats is always nice. XD
But I might give this build a try. 

If you've eaten any enemies, Grendel's energy continues to drain even while you're in an Archwing.  And if you run out while flying around, you puke all of those enemies out into space and they just die instantly.  Figured this was relevant enough to the topic at hand to point out.

Edited by zuraja

I find Grendel to be pretty effective at taking out boarders because of the scaling damage and armor strip of feast’s vomit. I just swallow every border and go back to piloting. Grendel automatically spits them out when out of energy even while piloting, usually all of them die after a few seconds after getting puked out. Gotta love that sweet 20.000 toxin damage per second against Exo Infantry Units.

Also, wrong section OP..

Yeah I was glad to see our engie be Kirby. Didn't even need the assistance I'd send his way! (I usually drop a flashbang aka-Radial-Blind through Tactical UI whenever we get boarded as an Excal Pilot myself).

Edited by BWS-1

Question.... what happens if you eat a boarding party and then use the slingshot? Better yet... can you eat a party, use the slingshot, destroy the ship reactor, and then spew the party out to leave them for dead on the burning ship? I'd like to call that one, "Return to Sender."