Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Had enough of connecting to low ping but poor connection host

--K--Sharkfin

1) DE should include more rules for matchup, but I am no expert.
2) Is there anyway to force host a match if my session is set to public?

The chance of finding a poor connection host with low ping is increasing for me and my friends, especially at mid-night time. I understand this is a 2way issue cause by both host and client, but the game failed to consider connection with stability and package loss. This affects so much on the game play even if the ping is low (<80), making transference bugged, door bugged, unable to move, float/walk in air, unable to loot, rotation reward skipped when in operator mode.

On a side note, this issue almost always happens if the host is using VPN to play Warframe, mainly from countries with strict internet policies as I asked where the host is from.  VPN fakes the ping making us to match with people that we shouldn't have if we set the ping limit.

• Like 2

well, myself and others mentioned an idea of having an option to never host, so people who are aware they have poor connection don't have to risk Host Migrating every time they play. not sure if this is something DE would go for though. most of us would prefer dedicated servers, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Im a guy with poor connection, its good enough for myself but not good enough for hosting. And im sick of the game forcing me to host when i dont want to, then everyone else is having a bad day and im the one who has to receive that S#&amp;&#036;.

There should be an option to disable hosting so you cant host yourself, and an option to force change host if there is people who doesnt care and hosts still.

Or even better DE should make their own servers finally !

• Like 4

7 hours ago, SHArK-FiN said:

1) DE should include more rules for matchup, but I am no expert.
2) Is there anyway to force host a match if my session is set to public?

The chance of finding a poor connection host with low ping is increasing for me and my friends, especially at mid-night time. I understand this is a 2way issue cause by both host and client, but the game failed to consider connection with stability and package loss. This affects so much on the game play even if the ping is low (<80), making transference bugged, door bugged, unable to move, float/walk in air, unable to loot, rotation reward skipped when in operator mode.

On a side note, this issue almost always happens if the host is using VPN to play Warframe, mainly from countries with strict internet policies as I asked where the host is from.  VPN fakes the ping making us to match with people that we shouldn't have if we set the ping limit.

Most likely those are chinese players who are using a VPN, so the ping you are getting is from the VPN but their connection is still crap.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

Most likely those are chinese players who are using a VPN, so the ping you are getting is from the VPN but their connection is still crap.

I am not trying to name and shame but now you mentioned it, there are also some coming from Russia.

We respect all players.

3 hours ago, SHArK-FiN said:

I am not trying to name and shame but now you mentioned it, there are also some coming from Russia.

We respect all players.

Completely possible, I get both as I am on the US west coast but I mostly get chinese getting around their governmental firewalls via VPNs which is noticeable as they'll have a decent ping but things will be jerky as all hell as if they had a 600+ ping (Though some outright will have a 300+ ping.. Highest I've had was a 2000ish ping)

Edited by SilvaDreams

Until changes are made, I believe (and could be wrong) that changing your computer type to 'laptop' in settings is meant to prioritize others as hosts. I would really like to always be host just to avoid the inconsistent and buggy nature playing as a client. 

The suggestion to have DE run their own servers has been put forth repeatedly over the years, but it wouldn't necessarily be better overall. We would be connecting to servers and still bouncing our connection around to reach them. There would be consistency gained however. Personally, I'd like to see some options for players to run PvE servers.  Maybe even having options to make it just for your own clan. Not sure if it's even possible, but I'd really like to see IP tunneling baked into the client so people from different continents could play together with significantly less lag. I'm (clearly) not an expert on this, but let's face it, the current system sucks pretty hard. It makes the Warframe experience significantly less than it can and should be.

I live in a rural area and connecting via a mobile broadband connection has been my only option for the 6 or so years I've been out here. My speeds aren't all that terrible, 45 down and 10 up on avg, and when playing other games ect. my ping usually stays around the teens or low twenties. However when the game chooses me as the host it's a total crap-shoot if other players are going to have issues. Sometimes all is fine, other times players complain about it being unplayable which leads to me having a lot of people drop out, or folks who will choose to be plain insulting.

I have a fast fairly new PC, and like I said this connection tends to be pretty stable for my own purposes. I suspect there may just be routing issues with certain players, or perhaps my connection dips from time to time causing issues for other. Having the option to only be host as a last resort would be a godsend because I honestly do hate inconveniencing others. I would happily wait for 30 seconds when queuing up for a mission for the game to look and prioritize someone else as host.

In the meantime I'll try setting my computer type to laptop as Aether.Shift suggested, hopefully that helps a bit.