Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What if warframe went all no mans sky?

(PSN)ChaosTheNerd

2 minutes ago, (PS4)ChaosTheNerd said:

Instead of being locked in these extermination nodes, what if this was used to expand warframe into a universe we can actually explore? Personally I wouldnt be a fan mostly because they'd probably make the grind insufferable but eh. What are your thoughts?

Like an open world?

While I'd supremely want this, I doubt it'd be as easy with Warframe. NMS is a game that heavily relies on procedurally generated worlds after all, and if you play enough you know that no matter how many planets there are they are pretty much still the same apart from a few element and visual changes.

With Warframe you'd have to make all planets Railjack-friendly in a NMS-esque style, and there's little space for infinite procedural generation since the number of planets is known and limited, and they have specific characteristics already set (Jupiter must be a gas planet with floating cities/Venus must be massively frozen with huge storms). And do it everytime you add a new planet/area. And possibly change the mission menu at it's core, since you travel to and land on the planets yourself. And the way many of the systems related to system travelling would have to be adapted as well.

So instead of a random generated area DE would have to design almost an entire planet surface with specific characteristics (like Fortuna times 100), and do such a huge task for every planetary surface.

It'd be a dream come true, and Lord Clem knows DE has gone and surpassed their limits several times now ('member the time an open world was impossible? Or a cinematic quest? Even Railjack and its space battles?) but if this happens it'd likely be a far future thing. Still, that would better integrate Railjack and most other content with the core game - giving birth to what I'd see as Warframe's true Empyrean!

Edited by (PS4)Hikuro-93

il y a 10 minutes, (PS4)ChaosTheNerd a dit :

Instead of being locked in these extermination nodes, what if this was used to expand warframe into a universe we can actually explore? Personally I wouldnt be a fan mostly because they'd probably make the grind insufferable but eh. What are your thoughts?

No please, no ! We have enough open world in the market but there is only one Warframe and it's unique feeling.

Save Warframe, no more open world !

• Like 1

Just now, (PS4)Hikuro-93 said:

While I'd supremely want this, I doubt it'd be as easy with Warframe. NMS is a game that heavily relies on procedurally generated worlds after all, and if you play enough you know that no matter how many planets there are they are pretty much still all the same apart from a few element and visual changes.

With Warframe you'd have to make all planets Railjack-friendly in a NMS-esque style. And do it everytime you add a new planet/area. And possibly change the mission menu at it's core, since you travel to and land on the planets yourself. And the way many of the systems related to system travelling would have to be adapted as well.

It'd be a dream come true, and Lord Clem knows DE has gone and surpassed their limits several times now ('member the time an open world was impossible? Or a cinematic quest?) but if this happens it'd likely be a far future thing. Still, that would better integrate Railjack and most other content with the core game - giving birth to what I'd see as Warframe's true Empyrean!

Very interesting take I must say!

12 minutes ago, (PS4)ChaosTheNerd said:

That's not what I meant, not deleting but adding 

I get that, but you aren't getting it. I'll break it down into 2 very simple points 
- At DE's rate of progress it'll take 5+ years to even start making demos, so i'd say about a 10 year goal would be reasonable
- The way maps are setup being random is what gives the mission a little bit more replay-ability and you'd be removing that for what, a stupid gimmick of flying / running around from node to node

Edited by Joe_Barbarian

Just now, Joe_Barbarian said:

I get that, but you aren't getting it. I'll break it down into 2 very simple points 
- At DE's rate of progress it'll take 5+ years to even start making demos, so i'd say about a 10 year goal would be reasonable
- The way maps are setup being random is what gives the mission a little bit more replay-ability

Of course it would take an excruciating amount of time, that why it's a what if post because I know it's a relatively unrealistic goal for de considering their current content output.

They will be going in some direction like that. Not will open worlds you can fly to and explore, but they've intended for railjack to be open space and likely replace the normal star chart or parts of it. I'm thinking their vision may be close to old SWG and the JTLS expansion.

24 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Although that is what DE (Steve) had originally hinted at, I would not be surprised if it would fall in the"not worth the effort" pile and we are left with what we have. 

Not the first time that has happened. 

Yeah I think it will be more centered around different proxima zones tied to each planet instead while keeping the original star chart. Hopefully each proxima will incorporate an "endless" free-roam mode where exploring and "world events" are the focus, just to give us a more open space feel. More mission types are also needed for each proxima.

Missions are random tilesets.. same gomes for the space missions where you just put empty areas together with rockbelts and stations.

The size is limited on the max droped loot (because the player who is the most manages that loot list and transfers it to the other clients, that is why we only have max 4 players for anything that isnt based on DE servers). So when ppl join they also get the datatable on how the random world got put together by the host that generated it when he started the mission. While the hates hosttransfort the clients starts another server (difference join/host) and transfers all the other data. We could now talk about loot saving and why you lose your stuff when the hosttransfer fails... but this is not part of this topic here.

The problem that i see is that it takes a while to generate a random planet to explore and it could create some problems if not done as basic as nomans sky.... not even speaking about the upload that a host needs to transfer the level data of a whole planet over to a random person joining the game. This means that even if you can write a good script that creates random planets in the warframe client you would right away run into the hosting problem of tons and tons of traffic.

So you might be able to create big empty planet.... then people still have to raid the same random bases that get put into the big open world.

If you in the end have to raid bases that are based on premade tiles.... why even bother with the random planets that 50% might like and 50% will hate, because they just want to raid the bases that drop what they want. What is the point for a more or less empty openworld that people fly over to search for a base to attack that they before could just raid by picking a mission from the starmap?

What you will get is 4 people hosting their own game and searching for the base that drops what hey want... once someone founds that base 3 people quit and join the person that found it by invite... they raid... and then restart. But you will also get tons and tons of people complaining that they searched for a base over and over... and once they found it the rare item didnt drop....

If you want a taste of this system... go and search for the rare caches. Big area to find one thing that in the end maybe rewards you

3 hours ago, (PS4)ChaosTheNerd said:

I'd enjoy a game that was exploration based but it comes with a massive number of challenges that I don't think DE is up for the challenge on.

Numerous varied worlds? They can do that.

Numerous varied worlds that are noticeably different? Doubtful.

Exploration quests on each of these worlds each giving answers to new questions and offering unique loot found nowhere else? Definitely not.

More than anything: Loot.

I love Warframe but assert that it is probably the least rewarding game I have played. Exploration always needs the impetus of the expectation of discovering something. Answers, sights, or treasure tend to be the drivers for it...None of them would exist here aside from sights and that gets stale fast.

That said, It is exactly what I had hoped to see from Empyrean... but that was me deluding myself.

35 minutes ago, Padre_Akais said:

I'd enjoy a game that was exploration based but it comes with a massive number of challenges that I don't think DE is up for the challenge on.

Numerous varied worlds? They can do that.

Numerous varied worlds that are noticeably different? Doubtful.

Exploration quests on each of these worlds each giving answers to new questions and offering unique loot found nowhere else? Definitely not.

More than anything: Loot.

I love Warframe but assert that it is probably the least rewarding game I have played. Exploration always needs the impetus of the expectation of discovering something. Answers, sights, or treasure tend to be the drivers for it...None of them would exist here aside from sights and that gets stale fast.

That said, It is exactly what I had hoped to see from Empyrean... but that was me deluding myself.

Same here, my expectations were not delivered but I guess de doesnt have to live up to anyone's expectations.

Not going to work. They're already pushing the engine's limits with Empyrean. And by now it's an old and big beast with tons of things that can potentially break (and probably does all the time, internally, we as players are just seeing the tip of the iceberg).