Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

RJ space debris visual effect - good or bad? Immersive or just distracting visual clutter?

Larsurus

In a game where you have to go near loot to pick it up, regular Warframe missions has issues. Railjack however...

Below are three images. Image 1 and 2 are images of me inside and outside the Railjack looking at the same spot. Image 3 is just a comparison where you can see the old AW debris (the blurry chunks on the righthand side of the image).

The problem with being a pilot in Railjack is that you have to almost strain your eyes in order to spot that little dot of loot hiding amongst a veritable shoal of visual clutter (quadruple eye damage bonus if you have Particle Ram enabled). However when jumping out in your AW, the clutter is all gone and the loot is much, much more visible (hooray!). It this intended? Most likely not. Will it be fixed? I'm actually hoping it won't.

The question I must ask is: is the clutter effect really necessary? Does it add anything to my visual experience within the game mode?

For me, no, it doesn't. To some degree it actually takes from it. I don't know how many times I've tried to shoot at a rock coming at me, only to realize that it's one of those fake rocks that distract me from the real ones. And jumping out in AW adds far more depth and scenic value to the scene when all these rocks are no longer up in my face.

I would agree that the clutter adds a small amount of immersion if used correctly. But as it is now I wonder if it's really necessary to have it flood my screen always and everywhere? Is there a middle ground that can be achieved by only having appear it within some bounding volumes (correct term?) closer to the larger structures/asteroids in these missions? Or in vastly reduced amounts? Or is the clutter necessary at all if it is a simple yes/no question?

These fake rocks are not that pretty to look at with their low-poly design, so why are they so abundant? 

I would love to hear other players' experience in regards to this.

Side note; Since Railjack, the clutter in normal AW missions have also vanished (see image 3 taken from way before the update) which is most likely the same reason why we can't see the clutter when flying our AW:s in RJ missions.

1. Railjack as pilot: space is a gravel pit

CcKlk9p.jpg

2. Railjack as Archwing: mmm, nice!qSzip7I.jpg

3. 2015 Archwing with outdated clutter visual effects39Y96JS.jpg

It is there, likely, because with the immense distances involved, even moving at "fast" speeds, it's hard to feel that movement without close objects to move comparatively much faster than distant objects.

While it would seem better (more realistic) to be less cluttered the further you are from asteroid objects, their express reason for existing (as far as I can tell), is to provide that movement feedback perception when far from real objects,

The issue with drops being almost imperceptible and real titanium nugget rocks are so hard to see (especially once they're cracked open and lose their nice orange/red glow), is an issue that can be resolved outside of this by using "Sentient Core" and "Ayatan Treasure" markers, along with much higher loot radar treasure chest marker range, and MUCH MUCH MUCH larger Vacuum (in a sphere around the railjack). (Fighter ship drops should just be insta-collect.)

14 minutes ago, (PS4)AyinDygra said:

(Fighter ship drops should just be insta-collect.)

so much this. would solve so many loot problems. spending more time making sure i've picked up the loot. due to the way space is built, can't see loot that's not in the square you're in.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)AyinDygra said:

It is there, likely, because with the immense distances involved, even moving at "fast" speeds, it's hard to feel that movement without close objects to move comparatively much faster than distant objects.

While it would seem better (more realistic) to be less cluttered the further you are from asteroid objects, their express reason for existing (as far as I can tell), is to provide that movement feedback perception when far from real objects,

The issue with drops being almost imperceptible and real titanium nugget rocks are so hard to see (especially once they're cracked open and lose their nice orange/red glow), is an issue that can be resolved outside of this by using "Sentient Core" and "Ayatan Treasure" markers, along with much higher loot radar treasure chest marker range, and MUCH MUCH MUCH larger Vacuum (in a sphere around the railjack). (Fighter ship drops should just be insta-collect.)

Fair enough, I can buy the movement idea but I still think it's far too much. They have a more discreet effect when travelling that I wonder if it would not suffice? I'm talking about the small streaks moving across the screen from the center. I suppose you could call it space dust but fills the same function.

Let's add two more options to the discussion:

1: Reduce the size (and amount) of rocks to make them more discreet. Then you would keep the effect while making it less "in your face".

2. Give us a menu option to remove them entirely, since we all love menu options, while keeping the space dust effect so we have some notion of movement in the few scenarios where we have no static structures in view.