Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So what's the lore behind skins?

(NSW)FlameDivinity

Say it with me folks.

Video Game.

Not everything needs a lore explanation, sometimes a thing in a video game is just there because somebody decided "hey this would be cool" and spent a fair few hours coding/designing it.

• Like 4

Just now, Lost_Cartographer said:

Someone's going to waltz in mentioning Valkyr Gersemi, but even that skin takes a fair few liberties for being the "original," pre-dissected Valkyr.

Yeah, that one always struck me as a recreation of what Gersemi looked like rather than some cache of long-lost, untainted Gersemi frames

2 minutes ago, Aldain said:

Say it with me folks.

Video Game.

Not everything needs a lore explanation, sometimes a thing in a video game is just there because somebody decided "hey this would be cool" and spent a fair few hours coding/designing it.

Eh we have fun in giving small bits lore to skins and other stuff, hell most of the background characters for starwars was never intended to have so much lore but they do, dont see why warframe cant.

55 minutes ago, Aldain said:

Not everything needs a lore explanation

did you know that the veil Leia wears in Star Wars (1977) has a specific lore? and you fool tought it's just what she wore that day. nuh uh!

some people really can't stand not having an explanation for every single thing. pretty sure that is how religions got started.

8 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

did you know that the veil Leia wears in Star Wars (1977) has a specific lore? and you fool tought it's just what she wore that day. nuh uh!

some people really can't stand not having an explanation for every single thing. pretty sure that is how religions got started.

"But why does the sun rise if we don't sacrifice goats to the Sun God?" 

• Like 1

Don't remember the source, but a dev once stated in response to "why does Ordis charge us to use our own foundry" that the Tenno were so likely to spend all of their money on flashy new ways to kill their enemies that he HAD to charge them so he could order basic items like food and fuel.

Also, look at the frames themselves.  Not a single one of these frames aside from some of the really early frames like Excal and Rhino are utilitarian.  Most of them are flashy as hell, and looking at our weapons and the lore descriptions of weapons and syandanas, these are people from a culture at permanent war, and obsessed with ritual.  Any mention of warframes in the lore that focuses on figures in the past, like in Simaris research targets, speaks about warframes vaguely, and with awe.  They're spoken about like demi-gods, were part of the Orokin culture (or at least directly adjacent to it.) and were also young when they became a part of this vain warrior culture, so it's most likely deeply seated in their psyche that they have to look good while they're slaughtering millions at the behest of a shady mother figure.

Also it's just a game and I don't think there's ever even been a concrete explanation for how many tenno there actually are, which frames were the original frames (Prime?  Not prime?), and why and when they started to mass produce them for other tenno to use, if they did at all.  The Leverian would have you think each frame was singular in nature (They didn't send AN Atlas to destroy the meteor, they sent THE Atlas, singular, as if there is no other), which makes me wonder where my Tenno's original frame is and what it was.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, (NSW)FlameDivinity said:

wanna start speculating?

I believe they are personalized versions of Warframes customized by their operators in the Lore. that's assuming there can be more than one of each Warframe lore-wise. if not, then perhaps they are uniquely designed frames, but using systems identical to what would be in the "real" Warframe. for example, Atlas' Karst skin was made as it is, but then fitted with a direct copy of Atlas' systems.

that's my best guess anyway. beyond the 4th wall it's DE's way of making money and endgame for most of the players. though I would argue that nowadays the Tennogen creators are doing a lot better than DE's own team these days, but I suppose it's a matter of personal taste.

They are literally shed skins found in the void, presumably belonging to alternate dimension versions of warframes. An alternate dimensions frost was a Wild Hunt rider that got stranded in the void and shed his skin before being rescued by a mysterious elf. All of what I say is very truthful and I love saying that because the word truthful sounds silly.

Edited by Redfeather75

There isn't really established lore behind skins. Some weapon skins are essentially in-universe aesthetic redesigns by craftsmen, normal Warframe skins are basically a new coat/jacket ontop of the same frame, and some Deluxe skins are like 'alternate-history' redesigns of a frames visuals.

It's not consistent though. It's game first, universe consistency second.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lost_Cartographer said:

Like Warframe skins?

Weak.  They're skins first, lore bites second.  Someone's going to waltz in mentioning Valkyr Gersemi, but even that skin takes a fair few liberties for being the "original," pre-dissected Valkyr.

What about the silver Grove skins? 

4 hours ago, Aldain said:

Say it with me folks.

Video Game.

You must've grown up never learning the definition of "fun."