Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So what's the lore behind skins?

(NSW)FlameDivinity

4 hours ago, (PS4)ChaosTheNerd said:

Eh we have fun in giving small bits lore to skins and other stuff, hell most of the background characters for starwars was never intended to have so much lore but they do, dont see why warframe cant.

Judging by their past posts, they're an awful individual. Just ignore them.

3 hours ago, Rawbeard said:

did you know that the veil Leia wears in Star Wars (1977) has a specific lore? and you fool tought it's just what she wore that day. nuh uh!

some people really can't stand not having an explanation for every single thing. pretty sure that is how religions got started.

I'm just wanting to have fun, that's all. I wanted to post something bright and cheery amidst all the negativity in these forums. Its a shame the toxin spreads as far as it does. The warframe community is not what it used to be back when I first played on PC 3 and a half years ago.

3 hours ago, (XB1)TehChubbyDugan said:

Don't remember the source, but a dev once stated in response to "why does Ordis charge us to use our own foundry" that the Tenno were so likely to spend all of their money on flashy new ways to kill their enemies that he HAD to charge them so he could order basic items like food and fuel.

Also, look at the frames themselves.  Not a single one of these frames aside from some of the really early frames like Excal and Rhino are utilitarian.  Most of them are flashy as hell, and looking at our weapons and the lore descriptions of weapons and syandanas, these are people from a culture at permanent war, and obsessed with ritual.  Any mention of warframes in the lore that focuses on figures in the past, like in Simaris research targets, speaks about warframes vaguely, and with awe.  They're spoken about like demi-gods, were part of the Orokin culture (or at least directly adjacent to it.) and were also young when they became a part of this vain warrior culture, so it's most likely deeply seated in their psyche that they have to look good while they're slaughtering millions at the behest of a shady mother figure.

Also it's just a game and I don't think there's ever even been a concrete explanation for how many tenno there actually are, which frames were the original frames (Prime?  Not prime?), and why and when they started to mass produce them for other tenno to use, if they did at all.  The Leverian would have you think each frame was singular in nature (They didn't send AN Atlas to destroy the meteor, they sent THE Atlas, singular, as if there is no other), which makes me wonder where my Tenno's original frame is and what it was.

That last part is such a good question. I wonder of DE will ever expand on who the frames belonged to originally. And ones like revenant, who's dead and lost in the void, really pique my interest. Maybe we get some lore behind the original warframes, maybe in a chapter where we learn about more hidden potential in our Tenno, or maybe in a quest to learn about the original frames in order to put a stop to a possible Stalker Prime. Just some thoughts. Unfortunately, I doubt any of our Tenno will get a personal frame given the playerbase isn't like 42 people. Maybe the original frames (Primes) were given to the original Tenno, and the descendants got massed produced frames. Not regular ones, since this would be during the Orokin Empire, but all primes.

2 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

I believe they are personalized versions of Warframes customized by their operators in the Lore. that's assuming there can be more than one of each Warframe lore-wise. if not, then perhaps they are uniquely designed frames, but using systems identical to what would be in the "real" Warframe. for example, Atlas' Karst skin was made as it is, but then fitted with a direct copy of Atlas' systems.

that's my best guess anyway. beyond the 4th wall it's DE's way of making money and endgame for most of the players. though I would argue that nowadays the Tennogen creators are doing a lot better than DE's own team these days, but I suppose it's a matter of personal taste.

Having some Tenno wanting to personalize their frames sounds like an interesting description. 

And I'm aware it's just a money maker, but it's fun to add some of our own explanations tot things to make our own stories of what it could be.

6 hours ago, (XB1)TehChubbyDugan said:

Don't remember the source, but a dev once stated in response to "why does Ordis charge us to use our own foundry" that the Tenno were so likely to spend all of their money on flashy new ways to kill their enemies that he HAD to charge them so he could order basic items like food and fuel.

Also, look at the frames themselves.  Not a single one of these frames aside from some of the really early frames like Excal and Rhino are utilitarian.  Most of them are flashy as hell, and looking at our weapons and the lore descriptions of weapons and syandanas, these are people from a culture at permanent war, and obsessed with ritual.  Any mention of warframes in the lore that focuses on figures in the past, like in Simaris research targets, speaks about warframes vaguely, and with awe.  They're spoken about like demi-gods, were part of the Orokin culture (or at least directly adjacent to it.) and were also young when they became a part of this vain warrior culture, so it's most likely deeply seated in their psyche that they have to look good while they're slaughtering millions at the behest of a shady mother figure.

Also it's just a game and I don't think there's ever even been a concrete explanation for how many tenno there actually are, which frames were the original frames (Prime?  Not prime?), and why and when they started to mass produce them for other tenno to use, if they did at all.  The Leverian would have you think each frame was singular in nature (They didn't send AN Atlas to destroy the meteor, they sent THE Atlas, singular, as if there is no other), which makes me wonder where my Tenno's original frame is and what it was.

This part right here is what I've always wondered myself

8 hours ago, Aldain said:

Say it with me folks.

Video Game.

Not everything needs a lore explanation, sometimes a thing in a video game is just there because somebody decided "hey this would be cool" and spent a fair few hours coding/designing it.

And make money in the process. The lore is nice holidays and how they make it possible for themselves.

Il y a 7 heures, (XB1)TehChubbyDugan a dit :

I think that multiple frames of singular frame could be explained by the blueprints, you tecnically rebuild a warframe using those, and my head  canon is that, most of the warframe blueprints once a tenno obtain them, ordis make those blueprints avaible to all other tenno via the market. 

But hey, thats just a theory a Frame theory!

• Like 1

I don't recall there being an explicit lore explanation behind skins as a concept, and it's not made clear just how attached the outside of the frame is to the inside. Umbra's helmet has been mentioned and that seemed to have bits come off easy but that may not be universal. Maybe warframes were made in a variety of looks and not just the defaults and we just have to pretend the frame has always had a certain skin to account for this being a game and fashionframe being true endgame?

A likely explanation is that tenno just like customizing their gear as a result of the vanity of orokin culture and the idealized image of tenno as this godly warrior race. I don't find it hard to believe that the tenno or anyone in orokin society looking to capitalize on them would make extravagant new outer shells for warframes.

The real question is what do we do with the frame's previous outer skin when we put on a new skin? Do we store it somewhere? Throw it away? 

There's several things to consider lore wise for skins.

The first is that the technocyte mutagen is extremely versatile and varied. Every warframe is made with it, same with every infested. 

Originally, the orokin intentionally infected people, typically Dax,  with the technocyte virus to make these living weapons. 

It is suggested that warframes retain the personality, skill sets, and general tastes of the person they were before. It can be inferred that warframe abilities and therefore the type of warfame are determined by the person it used to be, either intentionally through design or intrinsically through the technocyte mutating to better match its host. 

Then there's the foundry. It's clearly capable of manufacturing things with molecular level precision. It's basically a matter replicator, capable of reproducing entire living beings, down to their consciousness, and the orokin clearly had amazing programs for editing. This allows for the mass production and editing to some degree of every type of warframe.

Considering all this, skins can be anything from different paint jobs and clothes, to edited models via the foundry and whatever editing software that exists for it, to different individuals who were infected with the same strain of technocyte who mutated slightly differently than others. 

For reference, consider lore for mirage, rhino, limbo, nidus, and excalibur umbra. Perhaps Valkyr's delux skin too. 

6 hours ago, (NSW)FlameDivinity said:

You must've grown up never learning the definition of "fun."

Oh I know fun, but I also know that some things aren't worth worrying about and can make the fun factor reduce by thinking about loopholes too much.

Willing suspension of disbelief is a huge factor for getting into things for some people, and I'm willing to suspend my disbelief of things like Warframe skins or slightly lore unfriendly nature for the sake of not worrying about if the lore matches up or not.

Just like how many people use the seasonal comedy weapon skins despite it clashing with the general theme and setup of the Warframe universe, it is just a game, so I can suspend my disbelief that a Grineer is being beaten to death by a candy cane for the sake of laughing at the image, despite the absurdity and lore unfriendly nature of some things.

Knowing when to just accept that something is there solely because it is a piece of entertainment media and it is applying "Rule of Funny/Cool" is an important thing that all too many people forget about these days.

The way I see it....

Deluxe skins are what have lore in the game but DE has not spoken on besides 3 of them (Silver Grove).

Tennogen are the ones that have no lore as they are made by players for selling and fashion beyond the regular skins.

Immortal skins are a trophy skin to say a frame has been created such an amount of times.

I am of the frame of mind that Deluxe skins have an attachment to the Alcolytes as well as other timelines. There is more to the story with the Acolytes than we know since they keep attempting to tell us more than we know about our frames and the DEluxe skins all seem to point at the Helminth room along with Nidus DEluxe skin. If it were not for the Master talk to frames with the Cyst attached, I would not think that somewhere in the Origin system, Nidus is sitting in his full form watching what is happening through the Cyst. His DEluxe skin shows what he looks like once he grows fully.

One day, I do hope to fight the other DEluxe skins to see what powers they come up with for them such as the Silver Grove frames. Mayhaps now that we have Titania's DEluxe skin, that room in the Silver Grove will open up and the Silver Grove Titania will come out to give us more insight on the lore of the skins.

The lore is that:

(a) The Orokin were a decadent, pretentious bunch of perverts who elevated tastelessness to an artform.

(b) The Tenno are a bunch of fashion/customisation nuts with a gazilion ever-changing sub-cultures.

Just don't assume their gender, k?

Edited by schilds

15 hours ago, (NSW)FlameDivinity said:

Is there one? If so, could someone please inform me? If not, wanna start speculating?

Some skins have descriptive info or ideas behind them, the Rhino Palatine Skin was supposed to be a specific "Temple guardian" model. We know that differing cosmetics are canon as we have seen an Excalibur with the Pendragon helmet in "The Profit" trailer.

It appears that the Plant themed Deluxes (Oberon Feyarch, Loki Knave, Saryn Orphid) are variants possibly constructed by Silvana and replicable as spectres by the Silver Grove.

Obviously there is Gersemi Valkyr as the original Tenno version of the Valkry Warframe.

I'd like to see more put together though (Especially the Soprana, Strega, Pneuma just a couple of lines in the description would be fine

Hey, maybe we could get DE to have a competition for players to come up with a brief, non-lore-breaking backstory form the Deluxes?

Like maybe: Mag Pneuma was the custom Warframe of one of the few Tenno to be assigned to the heads of the merchant caste (that eventually became the Corpus after the fall) It's metalic finery is as ostentatious as the Orokin would allow form the lower castes. The Corpus still have an affinity for Mag as a result and this is the basis for the Perin Sequence having Mag auguments.

Edited by SilentMobius

On 2020-01-09 at 2:49 AM, Aldain said:

Oh I know fun, but I also know that some things aren't worth worrying about and can make the fun factor reduce by thinking about loopholes too much.

Willing suspension of disbelief is a huge factor for getting into things for some people, and I'm willing to suspend my disbelief of things like Warframe skins or slightly lore unfriendly nature for the sake of not worrying about if the lore matches up or not.

Just like how many people use the seasonal comedy weapon skins despite it clashing with the general theme and setup of the Warframe universe, it is just a game, so I can suspend my disbelief that a Grineer is being beaten to death by a candy cane for the sake of laughing at the image, despite the absurdity and lore unfriendly nature of some things.

Knowing when to just accept that something is there solely because it is a piece of entertainment media and it is applying "Rule of Funny/Cool" is an important thing that all too many people forget about these days.

I think you're missing the point and also the definition of fun. Say it with me here, " It's 👏 just 👏 fun 👏 to 👏 speculate 👏." If you don't find it fun, quit complaining and go somewhere else.

So you, personally, don't find imagination fun. That's fine, not everyone does. But don't get butthurt that others do. It's that simple. I don't understand how you feel the need to be a d!ckface to random strangers. That's not right. 

Edited by (NSW)FlameDivinity

On 2020-01-09 at 6:30 AM, SilentMobius said:

Some skins have descriptive info or ideas behind them, the Rhino Palatine Skin was supposed to be a specific "Temple guardian" model. We know that differing cosmetics are canon as we have seen an Excalibur with the Pendragon helmet in "The Profit" trailer.

It appears that the Plant themed Deluxes (Oberon Feyarch, Loki Knave, Saryn Orphid) are variants possibly constructed by Silvana and replicable as spectres by the Silver Grove.

Obviously there is Gersemi Valkyr as the original Tenno version of the Valkry Warframe.

I'd like to see more put together though (Especially the Soprana, Strega, Pneuma just a couple of lines in the description would be fine

Hey, maybe we could get DE to have a competition for players to come up with a brief, non-lore-breaking backstory form the Deluxes?

Like maybe: Mag Pneuma was the custom Warframe of one of the few Tenno to be assigned to the heads of the merchant caste (that eventually became the Corpus after the fall) It's metalic finery is as ostentatious as the Orokin would allow form the lower castes. The Corpus still have an affinity for Mag as a result and this is the basis for the Perin Sequence having Mag auguments.

The idea of having players propose their own lore would be interesting. I wonder if Tennogen designers would propose lore behind their skins to DE.

I like believe the Graxx Skins(Warframes) are like cheap chinese knock offs but made by Grineer. But I would like to combine my Warframe skins, maybe even with some stats behind it.  Right know I finally got my Ivara Prime . I don t like the  jellyfish skirt and jellyfish head design and also miss the ring glow design at the joints (which I imagine as part of the stealth technology part of her). If I would have more options in changing the appearance I would be happy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020-01-08 at 1:31 PM, (NSW)FlameDivinity said:

Is there one? If so, could someone please inform me? If not, wanna start speculating?

The simple answer is that there is that it is a categorical mismatch.

Skins and “cosmetics” MAY provide some references to the language and customs which extend into the “lore,” without, however, requiring that a purchase be made in order to access such information.

It is, by and large, completely superficial, (if included at all). “Skins” are, therefore, not mentioned within the canon as such. 

Dictionary.com defines lore as “the body of knowledge, especially of a traditional, anecdotal, or popular nature, on a particular subject.” 

Perhaps more relevant for our purposes, UrbanDictionary.com describes lore as “The collective history and the sum of all knowledge available about a certain fantasy or sci-fi universe” or “The story or reasoning behind occurrences”.

The use of the word "canon" originated in reference to a set of texts derives from Biblical canon, the set of books regarded as scripture, as contrasted with non-canonical Apocrypha.

The term was first used by analogy in the context of fiction to refer to the Sherlock Holmes stories and novels, written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, as contrasted with numerous Holmes adventures added later by other writers.

This usage was afterwards extended to the writings of various other authors.

The term "canon" nowadays refers to all works of fiction within a franchise's fictional universe which are considered "to have actually happened" within the fictional universe they belong to.

In fiction, canon is the material accepted as officially part of the story in the fictional universe of that story.

The alternative terms mythology, timeline, universe and continuity are often used, with the first of these being used especially to refer to a richly detailed fictional canon requiring a large degree of suspension of disbelief (e.g. an entire imaginary world and history), while the latter two typically refer to a single arc where all events are directly connected chronologically.

Other times, the word can mean "to be acknowledged by the creator(s)".

Thus, “speculation” carries no “currency” in that regard, however “fandom” is always fair game. (It would, however, be a poor expenditure of efforts to try to use “skins” as a source for developing “fanon,” especially since even when some amount of canonical mention is included, it does not need necessarily be applied or paid heed to, since such items form the component basis for personal customization, creation or “Fashion Framing.”)

Canon is often contrasted with, or used as the basis for, works of fan fiction.

Influential or widely accepted fan theories may be referred as "fanon", a portmanteau of fan and canon.

Alternatively, the term "headcanon" is used to describe a fan's own interpretation of a fictional universe.

So, many references accompany obtaining “skins,” which are made at the “interface level.”

That is, where common language of the medium and the [new] media it is running, is used for tasks, actions or transactions, or objects in ways, which are presented within the media, but not within the fictional ”universe” which it presents (or represents).

So, for example, instructions pertaining to such things a button/key/controller commands/combinations/assignment [mapping], or to “press” [key] to do [action], are contained within the media and carry the same meanings from the medium, but are not known within the fictional “universe.” 

An In-Game NPC will not speak (or “know”) of such things as a “gear wheel,” “A B and C Load Outs,” the in-game “chat box,” or even the names of many skins or cosmetic items.

A “deluxe ______” is something that will not fit into the canon of Warframe. “Tennogen” is something that no fictional character would have ever heard of, much less be able to describe or explain conceptually ... any more than a “bundle,” or a “Twitch Drop,” a “Prime Access” purchase, or even stuff which may be provided via canonical characters, like a “credit booster” from Baro or The Lotus, or a “Medium 10X Ammo Restore” (or Blueprint) from a Syndicate. 

A player may well trade “Rep” (standing points) to “Purchase” a ”Medium 10X Ammo Restore (Blueprint),” but Cressa Tal is not going to turn up and ask “what to you want to buy for your rep points,” or say “I hope you put that ten times ammo restore blueprint you just bought to good use.”

On a more practical [direct] level, during a Raptor Assassination Mission, The Lotus will be telling players to look for something that can be used as an explosive device on the battle field, but will not say “there is a drop that you’ll get from killing a raptor, pick it up with the [context action] button and then go on top of a grate and press [triangle] to drop it in.”

Alternately, when Lt. Lech Krill chimes in with a taunt, “Does that second Skin peel away as easily as the first?” he is not talking about the added cosmetic. (He is, of course, “talking rubbish,” in that he does not know that there are no dermal layers, or that there is no person inside of the armor that is using it as a protective “second skin”).

The same thing goes for anything that can have a “skin” applied to it.

”Skin” is “language of the interface,” while “lore” is language of “the canon.”

lore

1. ARCHAIC
    1. a teaching or being taught; instruction
    2. something taught
  2. knowledge or learning; specif., all the knowledge of a particular group or having to do with a particular subject, esp. that of a traditional nature

Origin of lore

Middle English from Old English lar, learning, teaching, akin to German lehre, teaching: see learn
  1. Lore

lōr, n. that which is learned: doctrine: learning.—n. Lor′ing (Spens.), learning. [A.S. lár.]

1. Lore 

the space between the eye and bill, in birds, and the corresponding region in reptiles and fishes

2. Lore

the anterior portion of the cheeks of insects

3. Lore

lost

4. Lore (verb)

that which is or may be learned or known; the knowledge gained from tradition, books, or experience; often, the whole body of knowledge possessed by a people or class of people, or pertaining to a particular subject; as, the lore of the Egyptians; priestly lore; legal lore; folklore

5. Lore (verb)

that which is taught; hence, instruction; wisdom; advice; counsel

6. Lore (verb)

workmanship

”Skins” are a part of the terminology of “The Interface.”

They are “looks” applied to virtual objects.

So a “skin” (not in the way Lech Krill thinks he means it) extends from 

computing

where a skin is a custom graphical appearance preset package achieved by the use of a graphical user interface (GUI) that can be applied to specific computer software, operating system, and websites to suit the purpose, topic, or tastes of different users. 

As such, a skin can completely change the look and feel and navigation interface of a piece of application software or operating system.

Software that is capable of having a skin applied is referred to as being skinnable, and the process of writing or applying such a skin is known as skinning.

Applying a skin changes a piece of software's look and feel—some skins merely make the program more aesthetically pleasing, but others can rearrange elements of the interface, potentially making the program easier to use.

Common skinnable applications

The most popular skins are for instant messaging clients, media center, and media player software, such as Trillian and Winamp, due to the association with fun that such programs try to encourage.

Standard interface

Some platforms support changing the standard interface, including most using the X Window System. For those that do not, programs can add the functionality, like WindowBlinds for Microsoft Windows and ShapeShifter for macOS.

Model–view–controller

Skinning is typically implemented with a model–view–controller architecture, which allows for a flexible structure in which the interface is independent from and indirectly linked to application functionality, so the GUI can be easily customized. This allows the user to select or design a different skin at will, and also allows for more deep changes in the position and function of the interface elements.

Pros and cons

The benefit of skinning in user interfaces is disputed. While some find it useful or pleasant to be able to change the appearance of software, a changed appearance can complicate technical support and training. A user interface that has been extensively customized by one person may appear completely unfamiliar to another who knows the software under a different appearance. Some usability practitioners feel that this flexibility requires interaction design expertise that users might not have.

Websites

Many websites are skinnable, particularly those that provide social capabilities. Some sites provide skins that make primarily cosmetic changes, while some—such as H2G2—offer skins that make major changes to page layout. As with standalone software interfaces, this is facilitated by the underlying technology of the website—XML and XSLT, for instance, facilitate major changes of layout, while CSS can easily produce different visual styles.

In Video Games

In video games, the term "skin" is similarly used to refer to cosmetic options for a player's character (including color schemes, costumes, and accessories) and other in-game items.

Skins are often awarded as unlockable content for completing specific in-game goals or milestones. Skins can sometimes include historical incarnations of the player character (such as Spider-Man, which includes unlockable skins based on Spider-Man's past comic book and film appearances), as well as crossovers with other video games (such as Final Fantasy XIII-2 offering a costume based on Ezio Auditore from the Assassin's Creedfranchise, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate offering costume items based on other video game characters for its customizable Mii Fighter characters).

Skins are sometimes distributed as part of downloadable content, and as pre-order incentives for newly-released games. In the 2010s, skins were increasingly deemed a virtual good as part of monetization strategies, especially within free-to-play games and those treated as a service.

Via microtransactions commonly known as "loot boxes", a player can earn a random selection of in-game items, which may include skins and other cosmetic items of varying rarity.

While often defended as being similar in practice to booster packs for collectible card games, researchers have deemed loot boxes to be "psychologically akin to gambling", and their inclusion in full-priced games have faced criticism from players for being a anti-consumer practice.

Via the Steam platform, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Team Fortress 2 also allow players to trade these items, which has led to communities devoted to bartering them for real-world money, as well as gambling.

The "battle pass" concept has been used as an alternative to loot boxes in some games, where the completion of in-game activities and challenges over the length of a pre-determined "season" are used to advance through levels that reward in-game items such as skins and currency.

Related:

NOT RELATED, BUT SOUNDS LIKE IT IS:

”Skin In The Game”

https://medium.com/incerto/what-do-i-mean-by-skin-in-the-game-my-own-version-cc858dc73260

Related to the “other side”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_(fiction)

When writing horror, fantasy or any form of speculative fiction, lore provides consistency, a set of rules and standards that make your fictional universe believable. What are the specific characteristics, powers and limitations of your characters and why? What are the rules that govern your fictional world? As an example, consider the variations of vampire lore across different movie, tv and literary representations.

The lore used in a story may be adapted from existing lore, such as historical or cultural legends and tales, or the creations of other authors (as an example of adapting existing lore, consider once again the many different variations of the vampire mythology). It may also be an original mythology created by the writer, though this is a difficult and ambitious undertaking.

https://flynngray.wordpress.com/2015/09/14/on-lore-and-world-building/

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/lore-story-drives-narratives-games

Edited by (PS4)xxav1xl6ivax