Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So what's the lore behind skins?

(NSW)FlameDivinity

A few skins dip into lore directly. Valkyr Gersemi is the obvious one, citing it was how she looked before Salad's experiments. Excal Proto pays homage to an "ancient armor" that kinda makes it canon to lore, but it's mostly just a Dark Sector easter egg.

Most skins have no Lore attached to them and are just customization options based on cool artist concepts.

Some skins have a tiny bit Lore attached, such as a name that evokes a connection to something else that does or could exist in the universe. The Leverian is and probably will be in future entries, a chance to attach cosmetics to lore a bit more.

If you want an in-universe explanation to cosmetics, I think of them as custom iterations of a Warframe model to appease the vain designs of their Orokin masters. Chroma Dynasty and Nezha Emyperean were made in the interest of trends in Orokin-era fashion. Not only would your bodyguards and assassins be effective, they would also match your window dressings.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, the OP was just confused by some mis-info, and then framed the question under the assumption that it was commonly known info.  It all began with a fan fic joke about a lost, unfinished script draft and film treatment being written by J.R. Tolken when he died, for a movie that would get more imaginative with the efforts to fuse Adult Cinema & "Real" Movies, titled "LORE OF THE SKINS." Someone on 4 or X or ZeroChan liked the obscure gag, and decided to milk it, by making up a spoof story about how Steve Sinclair was actually one of the few people in the world, EVER, to have actually seen and read "LORE OF THE SKINS," and had secretly worked it into the rules for the "Visual Language" of Warframe, so that lines, curves, forms, etc. can all get terribly "sexy," while actual "sex," and anything which might facilitate it, does not exist at all. The gag went so far as to deconstruct all of Maroo's dialogue showing how everything she says and does is actually all about being totally turned on by, and always wanting to get freaky with Warframes. "So, what d'you say? You up for a little investigation, SHINY?" "Do I know the locations of any [rooms where we can _______? Of course! But getting there won't be easy, or safe], but you probably already knew that." "Shall we?" (Do I know what the Orokin used to do with Ayatans?) "Is this your first time, Shiny?" "I wouldn't set foot in this derelict [neighborhood] for all the Ayatan in the system. You, on the other hand ..." (I'd go anywhere, do anything, any time, all the time, just to get some Skins Time with YOU, Tinsuit. Just thinking about "Living Metal" and Hydroid Tentacles is making the lacing of my "skin" come undone!) "THAT'S what we came here for!" etc. etc.  So the OP assumed that the "LORE OF THE SKINS" was real, and Steve has been using his experience of having read it to guide the "Visual Language" of Warframe, and that it's just unspoken, but common knowledge among players. The question was aimed toward whether or not the way "LORE OF THE SKINS" works as a do's/dont's guide for Warframes sexy/non-sex design/narrative wizardry, has actually been codified (written out, for concept artists, designers, writers, etc. with a stiff non-disclosure agreement). Because if it hasn't been, it should be fair game for [reverse engineering by DEconstruction] speculation, to gain an insight into what had actually been written in the ORIGINAL "LORE OF THE SKINS," at last REVEALING its long lost secrets, shrouded in mystery & urban legends of the illuminaughty threading through the depths of the Entertainment Industry, reaching all the way back to the late 60's).   - Note: That is just speculation.

12 minutes ago, (PS4)xxav1xl6ivax said:

Actually, the OP was just confused by some mis-info, and then framed the question under the assumption that it was commonly known info.  It all began with a fan fic joke about a lost, unfinished script draft and film treatment being written by J.R. Tolken when he died, for a movie that would get more imaginative with the efforts to fuse Adult Cinema & "Real" Movies, titled "LORE OF THE SKINS." Someone on 4 or X or ZeroChan liked the obscure gag, and decided to milk it, by making up a spoof story about how Steve Sinclair was actually one of the few people in the world, EVER, to have actually seen and read "LORE OF THE SKINS," and had secretly worked it into the rules for the "Visual Language" of Warframe, so that lines, curves, forms, etc. can all get terribly "sexy," while actual "sex," and anything which might facilitate it, does not exist at all. The gag went so far as to deconstruct all of Maroo's dialogue showing how everything she says and does is actually all about being totally turned on by, and always wanting to get freaky with Warframes. "So, what d'you say? You up for a little investigation, SHINY?" "Do I know the locations of any [rooms where we can _______? Of course! But getting there won't be easy, or safe], but you probably already knew that." "Shall we?" (Do I know what the Orokin used to do with Ayatans?) "Is this your first time, Shiny?" "I wouldn't set foot in this derelict [neighborhood] for all the Ayatan in the system. You, on the other hand ..." (I'd go anywhere, do anything, any time, all the time, just to get some Skins Time with YOU, Tinsuit. Just thinking about "Living Metal" and Hydroid Tentacles is making the lacing of my "skin" come undone!) "THAT'S what we came here for!" etc. etc.  So the OP assumed that the "LORE OF THE SKINS" was real, and Steve has been using his experience of having read it to guide the "Visual Language" of Warframe, and that it's just unspoken, but common knowledge among players. The question was aimed toward whether or not the way "LORE OF THE SKINS" works as a do's/dont's guide for Warframes sexy/non-sex design/narrative wizardry, has actually been codified (written out, for concept artists, designers, writers, etc. with a stiff non-disclosure agreement). Because if it hasn't been, it should be fair game for [reverse engineering by DEconstruction] speculation, to gain an insight into what had actually been written in the ORIGINAL "LORE OF THE SKINS," at last REVEALING its long lost secrets, shrouded in mystery & urban legends of the illuminaughty threading through the depths of the Entertainment Industry, reaching all the way back to the late 60's).   - Note: That is just speculation.

Are you okay