Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reconsider Helmet Stats

Joviex

Make the STATS optional.

A switch in the appearance tab to turn a helmet's statistics on/off.

People who want that mix/max get what they want: pros and cons.

People who want cosmetics get what they want: to just look cool with no penalties.

I see very little incentive to actually try and make the alerts (uber rare anyhow) if they are just cosmetic.

I'm an engineer. I like stats.

I definitely see zero reason to spend plat on them for just cosmetics when the goal is to kick &#! - quickly.

But to each their own, and I think both can be accommodated.

Same for scarves. I will never buy one, and I don't see any blueprints or BP drops for them, so, plat only for no pro/con == no thanks.

At least make those, as the cosmetic helmets, build-able.

Make the STATS optional.

A switch in the appearance tab to turn a helmet's statistics on/off.

This would be nice, but it still wouldn't be optimal.  Even if I liked Loki's 2nd alternate helmet, and could disable its stat changes, I would still never use it.  Why?  Because the 1st alternate helmet would supply better stats (with the stats enabled, of course).  In order to truly solve the problem, the helmet stats need to be interchangeable.  It could work very similarly to the way in which sentinel weapons are now interchangeable. 

Same for scarves. I will never buy one, and I don't see any blueprints or BP drops for them, so, plat only for no pro/con == no thanks.

At least make those, as the cosmetic helmets, build-able.

As far as I'm concerned, asking for purely cosmetic items (such as sentinel add-ons and scarves) to be acquirable without platinum is getting into greedy territory.  I don't mean that as a personal insult or anything; I just believe that DE needs to make its money somewhere, and selling cosmetics is the most consumer friendly way to do so. 

I agree that future helms should have stats, (seeing as we have stat helms already), and that helmet stats should be toggle-able.

And, if they won't be implementing the stamina rework, then they should reverse the effects of those bad stamina-giving wave 2 helms.

Though, I do not agree with what you said on scarves.

They should be cosmetic only, and cash only, outside of special event Syandanas.

Don't want a badass scarf just cause scarves don't have stats? Your loss.

I respect your opinion, but in games in general people LOVE cosmetic items, most games the high end gear and most sought after stuff is entirely cosmetic

there are very few helmets atm that have useful stats anyway, alot of them are just minor stamina boosts

Also, why would a GM not want to spend a tiny amount of platinum on a scarf or another cool looking item?

The game is getting MORE cosmetic items not less, because thats what the modern gamer wants

In order to truly solve the problem, the helmet stats need to be interchangeable.  It could work very similarly to the way in which sentinel weapons are now interchangeable. 

That is a fantastic suggestion. Just decouple them altogether and make them "mods" for cosmetics.

Best suggestion I've seen in this vein was to separate current helmet stats into alternate Systems, so the Helmets become entirely cosmetic. Since you use helmet, systems, and chassis to build your 'frame, this fits perfectly thematically speaking. Systems continue to be available from alerts, since they affect gameplay, but Helmets, as cosmetic items, are removed from alert rewards (but are also made cheaper in the market - significantly so, I would hope).

Down the line, alternate Chassis are a possibility if DE ever has the time & energy to spare.