Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Involving Clan Members in Railjack Development (and other QoL)

Derbon_

Good morning,

My friends formed our Warframe clan in anticipation for the Empyrean content, specifically the Railjack.  I was the member in our clan to actually build the Railjack so that we could launch our maiden voyage together.  

10/10 very good time.  

We spent a good six hours doing everything from naming, customizing, and figuring out how to do missions and over that time I identified some quality of life changes that would feel really really good, and some of the hurdles we experienced along the way.  This post is going to focus less on the nebulous aspects of the user interface which I didn't have much of a problem interpreting and focus on things that make the development of the Railjack a team effort.  

For just a little bit of context, I play Warframe with a small group of friends.  Lately we've been making concerted efforts to get online together and play games and Warframe has the distinction of being a game we revisit often.  In this small group I'm the only one with the Railjack, and now that we have access to it, there's not a ton of incentive for the rest of our group to get their own.

------------------

1. Relationship Between Clan and Railjack

The Railjack Should be a Clan Endeavor

The development of the Railjack seems, at times, at odds with itself.  It's built in a fixture added to the Dojo, which is a communal space, but everything about the vessel itself is tied only to what one Tenno wants to do with it.  This isn't commensurate with much else in the Dojo. The clan can pitch in together to create the Dry Dock, but after that everything regarding the Railjack is dependent on one Tenno.  For things like naming, customization, and appearance, that's probably fine.  Where it leaves me scratching my head is the development of new weapons and equipment. 

Clan Research for Upgrades

It's odd to me that the Research for Cephalon Cy, and the research for new Engines, Reactors, and Weapons for the Railjack is not something that Clan Members to contribute to.  Why put personal development in a communal space, when everything else within can be a group effort? Research into new weapons, warframes, crafting materials and even gear is something that a clan can come together to contribute to, and then replicate on a personal level when it's completed.  It isn't obvious to me why the development of the Railjack couldn't benefit from this same design philosophy and I'm not sure what is gained this way.  

Research into upgrades for the Railjack should be integrated into the Dry Dock as something Clan Members can contribute to.  This doesn't betray the idea that the Railjack is personal because ultimately only the owner of the Railjack can choose what guns, engines, and reactor are being used, and gives Clan Members something new to contribute to, and makes the development of this system collaborative, and that would pull the Dry Dock and Railjack closer to the spirit of what the Dojo is. 

Ultimately, Warframe has in the past embraced the idea of pooling resources toward the access of better items, weapons, and warframes.  Enabling the Research console for Railjack upgrades reinforces this. 

2. Quality of Life Stuff

Access to Intrinsics

It didn't eat up a lot of our time, but my squad had to do a lot of leaving the group, going back to orbiters, and accessing Intrinsics under Profile in order to spend their points.  I was the only one who could do it through the console in the Dry Dock.  

According to Steam Achievements, only .8% of players have "Some Assembly Acquired" and have built a Railjack.  I think it's reasonable to infer that most players doing Empyrean missions do not have a Railjack, and do not have access to this panel, and can only build their Intrinsics in their Orbiter.  

For those without Railjacks, allow them access to the console next to the Railjack Research for just the Intrinsics Interface. For those who have the Railjack, give them the full interface as it exists now.  This would be a quality of life change that would be very appreciated. 

"Refine" in Forging

For a while we had difficulty figuring out why we couldn't use our forge.  When we saw "Refine", we presumed that this is what turned our gathered resources into something that could be used.  This lead to a minor hiccup in our first few missions.  Clarifying this within the game itself would prevent a few head-scratching defeats to new crews. 

Refine need some kind of explanation thats true and also the Intrinsics access had to be addressed.

But for the Railjack stuff, it is like your Weapon, like a "flyn" Hema, so you contribute together to be able to build it, but no other clan member could build, paint or use YOUR Hema ;D

It seems like the final commitment to making railjack a properly group focused thing is missing. Not only the fact, that the railjack is your own personal thing. It's already pretty easy to solo any railjack mission and we don't even have the command intrinsic yet. Sure it takes longer, but speeding up your missions slightly isn't going to actually make group play fun. And of course having to rely on others is frustrating, when they don't step up. But it you actually want to experience what it means to trust your group, then there has to be the room to screw up.
That you can't even access the intrinsics without having your own railjack shows where the mindset is at. Ultimately the resources to build one are probably not going to be the problem for most people, but I think it would be a good thing to both push players more to working together and also provide an environment for players to actually do that (automatic queues and the recruiting tab aren't enough).

12 hours ago, gluih said:

That you can't even access the intrinsics without having your own railjack shows where the mindset is at.

You can access Intrinsics without owning a Railjack it's just not convenient to do so.  Allowing a terminal in the Dry Dock would make things much more streamlined, just in terms of interacting with intrinsics. 

Edited by Rolav

1 minute ago, Rolav said:

You can access Intrinsics it's just not convenient to do so.  Allowing a terminal in the Dry Dock would make things much more streamlined, just in terms of interacting with intrinsics. 

Totally, my point is just, that it seems very much like they are expecting every player to have their own personal railjack. Designing a game without the expectation, that everything has to be soloable, opens up some things, that can be very enjoyable and that you can't have any other way. Sadly you rarely get to see games, that force you to rely on others and also provide the tools to find people to play with.

4 hours ago, gluih said:

Totally, my point is just, that it seems very much like they are expecting every player to have their own personal railjack.

Oh yeah, it's obvious the design philosophy is that the Railjack is personal.  I'm okay with that. 

But why do access to upgrades have to be?  Why not treat the Dry Dock like the Energy/Chem/Bio Labs and allow research for upgrades to be open to public contribute and then replicated on an individual basis?  That would be really cool, and this doesn't betray the idea that the Raijack is a personal vessel. 

Research into Cephalon Cy should have been implemented like this, too.

Edited by Rolav