Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are thrown melee's viable to use?

Question

I was wondering if thrown melee's are a viable way to play through things like sorties and kuva lich farming. If they ARE viable, it'd be nice if people shared which ones and a build for the weapon. (I was considering getting a wolf sledge or glaive prime, but have been unable to find up-to-date info)

11 answers to this question

Glaive Prime, and there's two thtown modes now: hold melee to throw and heavy melee which will empty your combo counter. 

I have

Gladiator might, restless combination, bloodrush, drifting contact (can be replaced with gladiator rush), berserker (can be replaced with gladiator vice), organ shatter, primed reach, riven with 102% crit damage, 94% status chance and 10s combo duration. 

For a rivenless build, I suggest 

Relentless combination, gladiator might, pressure point, a 60/60 mod, drifting contact, blood rush, gladiator rush (or vice), condition overload. 

Or, if you want to power throw and blow it up, by hitting heavy attack twice, once to send it out and once to blow it up, switch out the 60/60 mod for weeping wounds and drifting contact for Reflex coil. 

For the hammer, I believe you can use the same build style of build. To be honest, I haven't really used it. 

Well, I've used Pathocyst on my long-range Lantern based Titania build.   (they lump up and aren't shooting at you.)

Astral Twilight (not that I think it matters since I'm not doing combos)

Whirlwind (90% projectile speed... any faster and it gets hard to time the explosions)

Sacrificial Steel

Killing Blow

North Wind

Primed Fever Strike

Reach

Life Strike

Primed Pressure Point.

I won't claim it's the best possible loadout, but it works pretty well for what I do with it.  Explodes nicely, heals me without needing to get in the middle of them, and the little critters can keep things busy/do (a little) more damage as well.

I don't bother with counters, and primary/secondary are available for alternate damage modes depending on whether they're clumped up, further away, etc.

Edited by Krenlik

Mod them as general purpose and, like every other weapon in the game, they can be used for sortie missions, etc.

Mods matter far more than your weapon choice in terms of viability.  If you mean are they viable purely thrown, that depends more on your secondary that is being used with the thrown weapon.

@kren_gek 

Thanks for the build!  I guess I've never modded for 'heavy attacks' (throwing) before - Life Strike would synergize real well with Whirlwind - have you tried adding Power Throw to your build - seems like it would compliment these two and your Lantern cluster real well.

You've encouraged me, also (PS4)horridhal has a good point - still leveling Orvius, Falcor is still cooking in the dojo...

@Rayhigh

Had any luck yourself yet?

On 2020-01-11 at 10:27 PM, Omega-ZX said:

No. No build and not so viable. Thrown melees nerfed to the ground.

Omega-ZX is absolutely right. When they came out with the melee rework they destroyed throwing weapons. It is nice that people are making an effort and posting builds and what not but there really is no point at all to using a glaive right now. They are totally broken. I would say that with a proper riven on a near maxed riven disposition throwing weapon I can do at least 20% of the damage I can do with like any other melee weapon. They are garbage. Don't bother until the fix it.